SASS Wire Forum

Unusual 1911 - Information Please

Ozark Okie

Coming to the fire to ask for expert/historical information about this gun; acquired over 50 years ago in conjunction with my first house purchase. I did not know enough then to ask questions about it's background.  I shot it once and put it away. Have had a couple of people (knowledgeable, but not necessarily experts) look at it. General concensus seems to be -

- its a gun assembled from available parts, maybe a rebuild/refurbish - Remington Rand lower/receiver, Union Switch & Signal slide, internals correct for 1943 time frame....barrel, hammer, grip back strap, etc.  

- it does not have normal markings.....no armorer marks, no "Property of US Government"...only markings are a serial number on the frame (falls in time frame of Remington Rand 1943) and the Union Switch and Signal logo on the slide.  There is no apparent evidence of marks having been ground off. 

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ozark Okie

1911 Left Side.jpg

1911 Pic left.jpg

1911 pic right_LI Inked Serial.jpg

1911 Right Side_LI Inked Serial.jpg

Think... "...I got me a 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48... 1911 Special.  You might say I picked it up at the factory..."  ;)

During various wars, armorers would throw good parts in bins by firearm and type, discard bad parts and assemble guns to get back to the troops.  Apocryphal story -  In WWII in the pacific, where rust was a major issue, an armorer got an award for coming up with the idea of cleaning bores of rifles retrieved after combat with a steel brushi on a rod chucked into a drill of some sort.  Didn't do much for the rifling, but distances were frequently short and it got a functioning rile back onto the line where supplies were short.  Could be the story,  No way to know. Doubt it was lunchbox because of the mix of parts.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Think... "...I got me a 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48... 1911 Special.  You might say I picked it up at the factory..."  ;)

"...It's cheaper that way..."  You can look up the serial number on the Colt website.  It might give you a build date for the receiver.  If is was an arsenal rebuild, there would be a mark.

Military  armors put guns together from parts bins! Colt could not keep up with ww2 orders so government outsourced to anyone who could/would  manufacture guns, government even paid companies to  retool their business and train employees in how to build guns.

Rafe

It is just a parts gun that someone slapped together.  Back in the 60s and earely 70s you could go to gun shows, pick up miscellaneous parts and assemble a 1911.  No collector value (except possibly for the slide), just a shooter.  No one is going to be able to give any historic information as it is not a production gun and who knows who put it together.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

All military 1911's have the inspectors stamp by the mag release. And the Property of and US Army etc on the right side. This just has  a serial number. It may be a civilian issue frame???

A fair amount of folks removed those markings for fear of folks thinking they stole them from our government...

The frame is wrong with regards to the dust cover cut...IMHO. Not military issued. 

Phantom

19 hours ago, Griff said:

You ain't Johnny Cash and you never played him on TV....but that's an accurate comparison of the gun....and funny, to boot.

Archived