SASS Wire Forum

Colt values

PowderRiverCowboy

Amazingly, the failure that was the Colt Cowboy is now pulling in pretty decent prices on the used market.   Three Grand?   Not wort it.  Two thousand plus, not surprised.

The value of used Colts is bizarre.   Find yourself a NIB 2nd Gen, and you are looking at 2 to 5 thousand depending various factors.    Maybe more.

Find a NIB 2nd Gen "commemorative" Colt, and you'll probably get it for less than two thousand.   (Which is how I've gotten more than a few 2nd gen pistols)   None of it makes sense to me, 

Guns are worth whatever people are willing to pay.  As to the Cowboy, investment cast Colt / Ruger Mashup, I just wouldn't care for one.  They're out there  https://hcguns.com/unfired-colt-cowboy-45lc/. The show I was at a few weeks ago all the old Colts, revolvers and autos were in the stratosphere, as were Smiths and Winchesters. All of those brands in the minority compared to plastic fantastic..

Factually, I'd prefer a pair of Rugers to a pair of Cowboys.  I startrd with Rugers and they were good back then, I suspect they're better today.

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Amazingly, the failure that was the Colt Cowboy is now pulling in pretty decent prices on the used market.   Three Grand?   Not wort it.  Two thousand plus, not surprised.

The value of used Colts is bizarre.   Find yourself a NIB 2nd Gen, and you are looking at 2 to 5 thousand depending various factors.    Maybe more.

Find a NIB 2nd Gen "commemorative" Colt, and you'll probably get it for less than two thousand.   (Which is how I've gotten more than a few 2nd gen pistols)   None of it makes sense to me, 

I hear you there and dont play the auction bid game , or a used Firearm from a such site ,  Prefer to see what I am getting or from a better trusted place like someone here   But never hurts to look . .
  But looking at a few people are bidding these way up makes me wonder if they dont really know  what the difference is 

Unfortunately there are No Parts available for them by anyone. 

They are not and probably NEVER Will Be worth that kind of money .

So Saith The Rooster

There is just something about a real Colt Peacemaker, particularly Gen 2 and before.  I don't think it is a matter of brand, or showing off, because once you charge out the Colt grips, it isn't obvious.  I have a Gen 2 worked up by Eddie Janis years ago.  Just a delight to shoot.  

I don't trust Auctions, tho there are certainly honest ones.  A neighbor had an auction after her husband died and in that case the auctioneer was bent, he had friends come and they bought valuable things well below value.  Just before he auctioned off a collectible car,  a flatbed pulled up.  The car was sold and gone.  She was absolutely devastated, with no recourse.

36 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Holy sheep dip!  I guess the custom Colt Cowboy I won at EOT in 2002 is finally worth something.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.88ea2bd5d19ffc89a59d610f61085ec5.jpeg

I would say so   , heck I got a deal on mine  when I bought the pair . Even laughed about adding Stag grips on them 

86B9BA2C-2698-4CD1-BA4E-4CA6F91E33CA.jpeg

I have heard, and it makes sense, the value of the Cowboy is going up simply because of collectors who need one to fill a hole in their collections, and there weren't a huge number made.  I don't think anyone is buying them to shoot.

13 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have heard, and it makes sense, the value of the Cowboy is going up simply because of collectors who need one to fill a hole in their collections, and there weren't a huge number made.  I don't think anyone is buying them to shoot.

Then they might have to buy two I see a few in a box mine came in a plastic Colt case 

I bought a pair of them years ago for 400.00 each 

And it took a long time before I got my money back on them .

Never ever happened again .

People who know = No ! 

People who don't  =

Will buy Once  ! 

:ph34r:  Market forces in play.

Scarce models desirable.

Good condition examples increasingly rare.  

Quality of older models more desirable.

Value of money decreasing, requiring more of it.

I keep looking for a good .45 acp Curtis E. Lemay.......   doubt I'll be able to afford it IF I ever find one. :(

11 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Market forces in play.

Scarce models desirable.

Good condition examples increasingly rare.  

Quality of older models more desirable.

Value of money decreasing, requiring more of it.

I keep looking for a good .45 acp Curtis E. Lemay.......   doubt I'll be able to afford it IF I ever find one. :(

Yeah be carefull when you do a quick search shows 3 places scamming the same pistol sold on GA 

I bought my first Colt SAA in 68 just before I went overseas and my 2nd one when I came home both were NIB and under 400.00

If I recall correctly, in "66 they were $129. Many other things priced  differently than today - the money was worth something.  I was offered a Browning Renaissance set of 3 engraved, silver plated autos in a fitted case for $495.  Talk about regrets.

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yeah and in 1966 I was earning ninety cents an hour.  Weeping over those "low" prices only makes sense after they have been adjusted for inflation.

Of course, just a year later I was making $8,200 a year as a LEO in a tough town. My car payment on a 4 year old Pontiac convertible was $62 per month.  And Gasoline, in the mid 20 cent range, unless there was a gas war - then it was cheaper.  Why do you think I didn't but the Brownings!

Back then I was in college and kept a dime and a quarter taped to a piece of cardboard in my wallet.  The dime for a phone call and the quarter for a gallon of gas.

I bought this gun and had this for almost 30 years now.

i shoot some matches with it and carry it around as a winter carry :) It’s a nice shooter only had to change the bolt spring screw and upgraded to Wolff Spring , shoots like a champ but not my regular shooting gun. This is the 4 3/4 barrel.

D713BD39-67C3-4AD1-B61C-5B529B21636E.thumb.jpeg.13852d168ad35b5c3b1a6ef503ce0b5e.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a LGS yesterday and a 3rd Gen Colt 44-40 with 5 1/2 inch bbl was in stock.  It was NOS and appeared unfired.   The price was around $2,800.  It seemed a bit high to me, but the salesman said that with prices on firearms rising there are more "safe queens" being brought out for sale and the prices of those are rising. 

It seems to me if  a buyer wants one then they will pay the going price.   If someone is concerned that the price paid is too high, then they are implicitly saying they are going to sell it down the road and don't want to lose money on the deal.

I will say that when I see an auction on Gunbroker for a Colt Cowboy described as a Single Action Army, I do send the seller a message saying, "The gun pictured is not a Colt Single Action Army.   It is a Colt Cowboy, a low cost alternative that Colt briefly marketed to compete with the Ruger.   It may look similar to the SAA, but it is not one."    I may or may not add something about the asking price being legitimate for an SAA, but not for a Cowboy.

My late grandfather left behind a nickel Colt Frontier .22 single action revolver with the original box. It has two tiny gouges at the barrel tip and a slightly bent blade sight (they said he tripped and fell on it while holding it) but aside from that it's in great shape and the springs are still crisp. I would love to inherit it but I am only the grandson so I don't get a say in who gets what from the estate.. :(

Archived