SASS Wire Forum

The little things you miss in movies

Alpo

I just got through watching ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. Romantic comedy/horror movie from the 40s.

Near the end of the movie Mortimer is sitting at the dining table. Mr Witherspoon is standing next to him. Teddy comes out of his room, upstairs, and yells down, "Mr Witherfork!" Mr Witherspoon looks up at him and says, "Spoon", correcting Teddy's mispronunciation of his name. Mortimer picks up a spoon off the dining table and hands it to him.

I've probably seen this movie a dozen times. Never noticed that before. :P

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Plots....and music that doesn't blow you out of your seat.

I usually miss almost all of the dialog in modern movies, due to loud background music that often totally masks the voices.   

Not related to a movie, but TV:

Speaking of music, as a fan of the original NCIS series, it took some time to realize that during certain scenes in any particular episode, the original musical score can be heard playing softly in the background; however, in a completely different arrangement and style. Always hear them now when they are played. 

Nice touch. 

I really notice things on Blu-ray that I never noticed on regular DVD of the same movie.  For instance, the blanket on the hitching rail during the opening scene  of the Duke riding up to his brother's cabin in the movie, The Searchers.  Then, a quick scene change which would be a 3 second gap in the story and the blanket is gone.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

I just got through watching ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. Romantic comedy/horror movie from the 40s.

Near the end of the movie Mortimer is sitting at the dining table. Mr Witherspoon is standing next to him. Teddy comes out of his room, upstairs, and yells down, "Mr Witherfork!" Mr Witherspoon looks up at him and says, "Spoon", correcting Teddy's mispronunciation of his name. Mortimer picks up a spoon off the dining table and hands it to him.

I LOVE that silly movie...

That and Bringing up Baby

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

We love that movie. Have you noticed that throughout the entire movie Kate Hepburn never walks? She's always running, adding to the frantic vibe of the film.

Isn't she walking in both the golf course scene and the restaurant scene?

One of the reasons I don’t go to theaters much is the sound effects are often deafening. I saw the movie Dunkirk which was absolutely ruined for me as the sound system was cranked up full blast. Films go from soft dialogue where I need my hearing aids to extreme sound in a millisecond. It’s painful for me. 

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

That’s a fun movie. Grant was famous for ad libbing things like that. His timing was superb. He also liked to use real actors names in his jokes such as his own (Archie Leach) and Ralph Bellamy in His Girl Friday. 

I wonder if he really disliked children?

The movie CHARADE. Takes place in Paris. One of the main characters was Jean Louis, a French kid about 6 years old. I read an interview with him that was written four or five years ago. The man that Jean Louis grew into said that Grant did not like children. Did not want to have anything to do with him, but over the course of the movie they became friends. That makes sense. I can see that happening.

FATHER GOOSE. He is stuck on an island with Leslie Caron and seven little girls, ranging from about 6 to 16. The oldest girl - played Elizabeth - was giving an interview a few years ago, and said that Mr Grant did not like children, and had as little to do with the seven girls as he possibly could. But over the run of the making of the movie, she and he became friends.

Hmmm. Where have I heard that before?

Made me wonder if he pretended to dislike children, so he could gradually begin to like them, for whatever reason. Maybe just a game he was playing in his mind.

46 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

As I recall, he didn’t  like working with them, as opposed to not liking them personally. Bob Newhart is the same way. 

Grant was stepdad to Lance Reventlow while married to Barbara Hutton. He also had a daughter of his own when married to Dyan Cannon. 

Ah, yes.  Rich heir playboy Lance Reventlow, father of the Scarab sports racing cars (all three of the originals).  They were built by Troutman and Barnes on a Ken Mils frame as the ultimate California street race and the most beautiful open seat sports racer ever....and you know what?  The damn thing won almost every North American road race in 1958 and set records on most of them.

Reventlow drove one, Harry Heure of Peter Hand Brewery drove one, and Augie Pabst of Pabst Beer drove the third.  Last I heard Augie still had his (but that was a long time ago) and the other two eventually vanished.

Their like will never be seen again.

Okay, so I drifted off the subject.  You van have your fantasies and I'll have mine.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

One of the reasons I don’t go to theaters much is the sound effects are often deafening. I saw the movie Dunkirk which was absolutely ruined for me as the sound system was cranked up full blast. Films go from soft dialogue where I need my hearing aids to extreme sound in a millisecond. It’s painful for me. 

What are the Audio Directors thinking?  It seems like the sound people see themselves in some kind of attention competition with the rest of the movie.   

Contrast that to old films like Lawrence of Arabia.  Great music, and it never ever interferes with film voice dialog -- and the actors knew how to speak clearly and project their voices.   

On 3/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

We love that movie. Have you noticed that throughout the entire movie Kate Hepburn never walks? She's always running, adding to the frantic vibe of the film.

She seemed to float on air!!!

Archived