SASS Wire Forum

Where to get black powder or subs?

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

Howdy pards! I have been out of the game since 2015 but now that I have sold my dental practice and am semi- retired I have more free time and I would like to get back into Cowboy shooting. I really enjoyed shooting the Holy Black but checking around online I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where I might be able to procure some Goex or APP? Thanks!

Graf's  and Maine Powder house had real BP recently. On my phone or I'd check for you.

27 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Scarlett sells APP through her business Bullets by Scarlett.

^^^^This^^^^

She is a great one to deal with.

Give me a shout! Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com be glad to help you get some APP!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

I'm not sure if you have followed the Goex brand but Hodgdon closed the Goex plant and it was bought by another firm.  I do not expect Goex-branded black powder in the near future until the damaged plant is repaired.  As others have said, other brands of real black powder are available.  I also load with Triple Seven that is also available, but am one of the few that uses that sub.

Slapshot

I have used a lot of Schuetzen 5fa the last several years. The folks at Powder Inc.  put me onto it.  It looks a lot like 3fg but not as polished. A fellow shooter did some chronograph tests comparing 3fg to 5fa and the 5fa seemed about 20% less powerful than 3fg in equal load amounts. All the smoke, flame and boom is there just less energy. (And $).

Also Graf's Classic  is Schuetzen (Wano), but a $1 less per lb.

I don't have any info about the 4fa other than the Powder Inc website says it is " reenactment powder suitable for cannons".

LG

I just bought a bunch from Traveller's Antiques. 

I am a happy, long time warthog load, holy black customer of Buffalo Arms. I can't say enough about their customer service.  

Their owner is a BPCR world and US champion and their employees are BP Shooters.

I use their various BPs on all of my guns from tiny .410s to my 8, my 

.38s to .45 revolvers and my 

.38 carbine to my .50-140 Sharps.

Colour me happy.

Thanks for the belt buckles

:-)

20 hours ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

Howdy pards! I have been out of the game since 2015 but now that I have sold my dental practice and am semi- retired I have more free time and I would like to get back into Cowboy shooting. I really enjoyed shooting the Holy Black but checking around online I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where I might be able to procure some Goex or APP? Thanks!

I just placed an order to Powder Valley for 2 lbs of Schuetzen FF they seem to be out of the Swiss, Goex and Wano.

20 hours ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

Looking forward to seeing  yall back on the range. 

Archived