SASS Wire Forum

Adjustable Powder Measure

German Jim

Hmmm.  I've only seen where they measure in Grains. (i.e. Thompson Center Adjustable Black Powder Measure 50 to 120 Grains Brass) and not Volume.

You DID NOT say Black Powder.  Most people when they talk about powder measures are thinking about measures on reloading presses for smokeless.  No "powder measure" for smokeless is in grains.  BP measures measure by volume but for convenience many have a grains equivalent printed on them and that is only an approximation as ffg and fffg and different brands will weight a different amount for a given volume.  Virtually everyone wants to know how many grains of BP they are using so the measures are marked in grains.  Most people don't care what the volume is and what volume would you want?  CC's, cubic inches?

I just went in the loading room and grabbed a couple of BP measures.  They are marked in grains equivalent because that is what people want to know - how many grains are they shooting.  The only measures I know of that are marked in cc's are the Lee Dippers.  Out of curiosity why do you want a measure that reads volume?

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.31a82ec2d3908caade4c6adc54c0d5cc.jpeg

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.d0cbcb0494d3ef15ab8112e1c61b2783.jpeg

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Out of curiosity why do you want a measure that reads volume?

This may sound crazy and I hope I'm explaining it correctly.  When I could get Schutzen powder with Graf's label or Diamondback powder, FFg both weighed about the same when I filled a case.  When I could no longer get either, I switched to GOEX thinking (silly me) that the same weight would fill the case volume the same, but it didn't.  For the same volume, I use a little less GOEX than the other two powders.  I was just wondering if there was a powder measure that I could use to dump my case of powder into that would show me the volume.  I've tried to use the Lee dippers, but the amount of powder kind of falls between two of the dippers.  I'm kinda' anal and would just like to get a good reading on the volume of powder I'm using.  Is that as clear as mud:lol: :lol:

Make your own? Use a case with the amount needed/wanted. Mark the level and cut off the excess so a level full scoop is the amount you want. Solder a piece of wire on as a handle. If you need to know the weight or volume of said scoop you should be able to figure it out with basic math. 

Well, back to my chemistry background, I would get a graduated cylinder (usually glass) that holds up to 10 CC (cubic centimeters).  You could then drop in the powder charge which you find fills a particular case to the desired level in the neck for best accuracy.  Instantly read the graduations on the glass at the top of powder level, and VOILA you have the volume.

This one on Amazon is a 10 CC capacity (which is 10 milliliters, too) cylinder that ought to read any reasonable BP powder charge.   Even if the picture shows a 25 CC capacity cylinder.

https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-10ml-Glass-Graduated-Cylinder/dp/B0018QCFLM

Yes, it's not adjustable.  That is why you keep a brass adjustable measure around for actual loading use.  Or a Lyman 55 powder dispenser (brass rotor).  This breakable glass graduated cylinder is just to check the volume that your measure is currently set for.  If you need to adjust measure again, you quickly check the volume again.

good luck, GJ

Don't measure by weight, if you want to know volume. When I switched from ffg to fg I didn't have to change my powder measure as it measures in volume, as most do. Still had a bit of compression of the powder in spite of the granular change. I really don't care what it weighs.

It's simple and complex all at the same time.  Larsen E. explained it rather well.  ALL powder measures measure "Volume."  You simply set the measure to the "amount" of powder you want to throw.  If you want to know how much that is, precisely, you weigh it.  Once you have weighed it, you have acquired basically useless trivia.  The precise weight doesn't matter, sol long as you get the right "amount" of powder into the case.  Basically very simple.  All you want to know is do you have the right amount of powder.  This is for BLACK POWDER.

There is no volumetric equivalency for Smokeless.  Smokeless HAS to be weighted.

Don't confuse the two.

what i do is set mine - drop the charge and measure it - repeat a few times , what your scale tells you is more important than what the setting is on the device your using , then check it periodically to confirm repeatability , nothing is perfect but being diligent allows you to confirm , 

Archived