SASS Wire Forum

Ammo is Back on the Shelves

I stopped by my local Sportsmans Warehouse after returning from EOT.  The ammo shelves were fully stocked with 12-gauge shotgun shells, buckshot and .223 ammo.  My local Wal*Mart was fully stocked with 12-gauge shotgun shells and .22 lr shells.  At least in my area the ammo drought has ended.  What is your supply situation?

Around me Walmart has 350 Legend and maybe some .22 LR. Otherwise bare shelves.

Cabela's on the other hand... Lots of everything. Prices not horrible, in general.

7 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The ammo shelves were fully stocked with 12-gauge shotgun shells

Depends on what you mean by this.  Fully stocked use to mean one isle with nothng but shotshells by the case and a variety of loads.  Locally there are a few boxes of shotshells on shelves in a very small part of the ammo section with no selection and you can only buy five boxes.  That is not what I call fully stocked.

Shelves around here have been somewhat stocked for a while now.

But still have a hard time finding any Remington STS or Gun Club shotgun shells.

Have seen AA. But I don't really like those anymore.  

Local , here we have been doing fairly well , Like most said the Basics at local chain stores, Cabelas , and a couple local area chain stores farm related and one sporting goods type , not much for Cowboy ammo, but we Have Black Hills ammo here so first to see that  usually on those .For you 38 spl/ 38 long Colt shooters starting to see that a little more 

Prices pretty much normal. I do miss Ultramax where I  Bought factory seconds by the pound . 
  I never ran out of ammo and my Cowboy stuff is a mix of reload and new  

I have not seen cases of shotgun shells for sale.  At my local Wal*Mart the entire ammo cabinet is fully stocked.  However, we have a way to go before returning to a normal supply situation.  Value ammo like 100-round value packs is not always available.

The supply is a tiny bit better. 

However....the prices are NOT!!!

I refuse to pay $88.00 for a box of .45 Colt cartridges!!! Or $96.00 for a box of 20, 45-70 Government cartridges.  

You can go to hell for theft, same as you can for murder.

Point is....I will wait, until the excuses for such high prices are gone, and the prices come down.

It is not the same as before by a long shot. "Before" you'd see something of every caliber (at least in a big store). Most rifle calibers from 30-30 to .300 Win Mag, etc. Almost all revolver calibers. All semi-auto pistol calibers.

Now at Bass and others hereabouts, we see most rifle calibers (though I've seen no 30-30 and little 30-06), lots of pistol cals (including tons of .40 S&W of all things), but virtually no revolver ammo at all, except .38 spl now and then.

"Before" if you wanted some type of ammo you went down to the store and bought it. We're a long way from that still, it seems.

At the local Scheels plenty of ammo on the shelves.  I was there twice last week and both times the shelves were being stacked with ammo.  Plenty of 9mm, 40s, .223 and 556.   Shotgun ammo was available, but in the 1250 and above velocities.  Run of the mill 9mms- $20/50, 45 acp- $30/50, 40s- $20/50.  The only Cowboy loads was Fiocchi 250 grain, 45 Colt-$48/50.  Full power 38 Special, 158 grain, LRN- $32/50 . No primers except for about 6 boxes of 209 shotgun primers.  None of the usual powder brands.

Stores have ammo now near me. The prices are still too high.

.38 Special $35 per 50. 

.357 Magnum $50 per 50

9mm $25 per 50

I didn’t look at rifle ammo. 
Decent (tactical) 12 gauge 00 Buck and slugs $1 each. Same price they’ve been for years. 

I mainly do online shopping for bulk sales as most stores still have limited stock at high prices.

Most recent find was:

Snip-it_1647096371068.thumb.jpg.fde24ca6774d0fd00273c1403cc81b7b.jpg

Archived