SASS Wire Forum

Reproduction Winchester 1901?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Finding them is not that difficult...and why would anyone want a reproduction when you can get the real thing?

By that logic, no one would own anything made by Uberti, Pedersoli, Pieta, Armi San Marco, AWA, or any other reproduction gun that is legal for our game.

30 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

By that logic, no one would own anything made by Uberti, Pedersoli, Pieta, Armi San Marco, AWA, or any other reproduction gun that is legal for our game.

The guns used in our game are just tools. 

I don't see a Win 1901 as a tool for our game. You may use it as such...and yes, spending money on a replica for a collection is not where my mind is...

But I'm sure we'll see lots of photos down the road on whatever you get:lol:

Phantom

Looks like gun broker has a couple right now $$1600-$1700. Looks like it would be an excellent gun if you want to shoot slow and put an a$$ whooping on shotgun knocked down targets.

10 minutes ago, oak creek martin said:

Looks like gun broker has a couple right now $$1600-$1700. Looks like it would be an excellent gun if you want to shoot slow and put an a$$ whooping on shotgun knocked down targets.

And hearing...but...we're "Cowboys" and "Cowboys" are supposed to be deaf.

:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I seem to remember Coyote Cap saying the first Chinese version was a 1901, but they ( he?) couldn't make it run, so they dropped that plan and copied the 87. That's been a long time I could be wrong.

Dang, that was a long time ago.  Yer right, he was having problems with the finished product and had to fly over there to get it all ironed out.  When the first run of 800 '87s were in the pipeline, they were $850 and you had to pay him a 50.00 deposit.   When I got mine it had a problem and when you levered it, even empty, the bolt wouldn't close.   Had to send it back to get worked on.    It never worked quite "right" for me.  I think Outlaw Gambler took it off my hands.  Got another one later, worked over by Lassiter.  I've put a lot of BP rounds downrange with it!

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

Dang, that was a long time ago.  Yer right, he was having problems with the finished product and had to fly over there to get it all ironed out.  When the first run of 800 '87s were in the pipeline, they were $850 and you had to pay him a 50.00 deposit.   When I got mine it had a problem and when you levered it, even empty, the bolt wouldn't close.   Had to send it back to get worked on.    It never worked quite "right" for me.  I think Outlaw Gambler took it off my hands.  Got another one later, worked over by Lassiter.  I've put a lot of BP rounds downrange with it!

got it on this:  mine has serial number less than 100.  Actually got two, both with same serial number; one cut down barrel and one longer one.  my brother took the short barreled one off my hands

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

In December 2003, I put down a $50 deposit on a CC 87. The total price was $529.95.

In January 2006, CC said a price increase of 20% was anticipated.

On June 3rd 2006, I paid a balance of $585.95 for a total cost of $635.95.

On June 13th it arrived at my FFL.

I picked it up on June 23rd (stupid ca waiting period). It was SN 18x.

And to answer the OP, there are no repro 10 gauge 1887 / 1901's.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

It was my understanding that the modern made replica 87s, are really more scaled down 01's, but I may be mistaken on that.

You are correct.

The only thing like a 1901 on a ChiCom 87 is the lever.  The frame was always the same size as an "87".  When they proofed it for smokeless the breech sometimes popped open so they used a two piece lever with a lock like a 1901 so it could pass the proof test and hold up to heavy hunting loads.  Unfortunately the lever was designed wrong and people got chunks pinched out of their hands by the joint in the lever.  That's when they came out with that ugly snap on black lever guard to help eliminate the pinching.  One of the first things I did when I got my CC version in 2006 was to toss the lock and pin the lever so it is solid.  Not needed on BP or puss loaded smokeless CAS rounds.  The Italian made Chiappas are a different story.

Found a photo on Barleycorn's website.  Not a high resolution photo but it does show the factory leather pinch protector.

1229439097_A479C0AD-9CBF-4F41-A785-B05CD05A7B84.jpeg.fc35edac16c156e85c186f3390c86b12(1).jpeg.50a00405644c31d20506e1186f8d21b4.jpeg

I have serial number 2, Cap had serial number 1, of a prototype Chinese made 1901 in 12 gauge. He had them made for him during one of his visits to Norinco. I am pretty sure there were only 12, maybe 15, made. We went thru his list once to see who the others were that had a copy of the 1901 and accounted for all but a couple. He had them listed in his "bible". If you are lucky enough to have one.............

From the SASS Wire 4/26/16

However, I need to clarify a couple important misunderstandings about the origin of the M-87wcse-18.

I failed to include the reason why those (1 of 1000) shotguns were even built. They are intended to honor the memory of my father, the real Coyote Cap with a factory produced firearm with Dad's alias stamped onto the left side of the frame and the letters and numbers filled with 18k Gold. 

The real "Coyote Cap" (my Dad), passed away at the age of 52 in 1965 from a heart attack - - - interestingly, I returned from Mayo Clinic today from more testing in an attempt to rebuild my failing heart - - - that condition has taken so much of my time, it has put me seriously behind in my gun work.

Enough of me, back to explaining the reasons for starting such a huge project. It included a plan to bring back to life, a gun that had been overlooked for 125 years. I thought the best place to honor dad's memory (and his Rodeo rider alias of the 1930's) was to bring 1000 "Special Edition" shotguns into SASS and to do that, required a complete re-design of the original John Browning design of the M-87 as it was necessary to allow for longer 2-3/4" (fired hulls) to clear the chamber during extraction and ejection.

It took a trip to the Shandong #2 factory in China, to complete the changeover plan of turning a 1901, (10) gauge lever action shotgun into a (12) gauge. 

The idea of turning a 1901 into a 12 gauge started out as a really good idea, but turned into a bad idea when SASS decided to place a ban on the Henry Big Boy as a gun that never existed - - - same as a 1901 in 12 gauge.  After (27) 1901's were hand built at great expense and stamped on the tangs as an 1887, the decision was made to pull the plug on the project and go back to the drawing boards to re-design the 1887 to clear the expended hulls. That took another two years and made a lot of SASS members pretty angry, that it was taking so long to get their new 87 they had a deposit on, actually built and delivered.

Ironically. those (27) 1901, 12 ga. shotguns were shelved for (8) years until approved for SASS competitions by the Wild Bunch. Even though the tops of the tangs on each shotgun was stamped as an 1887, each was also stamped on the left side of the frame as a "Coyote Cap 1901 Prototype". (a very rare gun).

There is a lot more to this story about the origin of the M-87wcse-18, but suffice for now, the fact remains that it is a whole lot easier to understand the huge number of parts and pieces of an 1897 pump shotgun, when compared to the three moving parts of the 1887 lever action,  That is a fact !

"Coyote Cap"
SASS Life 14184

Archived