SASS Wire Forum

Baseball is back

Rye Miles #13621

NL gets the DH, no more man on second in the 10th inning, expanded playoffs to 12 teams. Minimum salary upped. 
Let’s play ball !

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mlb-rules-changes-baseball-cba-deal-dh-pitch-clock-bases-postseason

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NL gets the DH, no more man on second in the 10th inning, expanded playoffs to 12 teams. Minimum salary upped. 
Let’s play ball !

Dang.  That just ain't right.  :(

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dang.  That just ain't right.  :(

It doesn't bother me as long as both leagues have the same rules! DH or not! I've been an AL fan forever and I learned to live with it. 

Glad it’s back, hated not having the DH in the NL. Did they get rid of the shift too? 

18 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Glad it’s back, hated not having the DH in the NL. Did they get rid of the shift too? 

The shift will be gone in 2023 

Meh, so the millionaires and multi-millionaires stopped squabbling over more money than most of us will ever make in our entire lives.

I wonder who came to their senses and realized the average fan wasn't very sympathetic to either side.

:FlagAm: As a youngster, spent considerable time in Yankee Stadium.  At this point with what has transpired, I do not care.  And I live literally a ten minute walk from the Cubs spring training facility.

So you guys that don’t like baseball for one reason or another us baseball fans couldn’t care less about what you think. Why not just scroll on by and let us enjoy the sport we love?

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You posted in the saloon.  What do you expect?  I could post I like beef and at least 20 people would say chicken is better.:rolleyes:

I actually expected the folks that like baseball to come on and talk about it. We’re happy it’s going forward. I didn’t expect the I hate baseball comments. What does that prove?? I really could give a hoot about what you think about baseball. 
Whether someone likes chicken or beef better is a really bad analogy, Surely you can do better than that. 

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So you guys that don’t like baseball for one reason or another us baseball fans couldn’t care less about what you think. Why not just scroll on by and let us enjoy the sport we love?

Never said that I did not like baseball.  I as well as you have the right to express my opinion.

I actually grew up on baseball.  I despise the BS that has been ongoing.

Unfortunately, you cannot accept that others might not be on the same set of tracks as you.  Maybe an appointment in Washington would be a good fit for you.

I like beef and I like chicken, but pork may be my favorite!

I’ll be glad to see the shift go, the sooner the better!!

I hope with the departure of the “man on second” rule, that extra innings will return to what it was and always should be!!!

I despise the DH!!  Pitchers should be hitters too!!  Take your swings, just like the rest of the team!

All in all, I’m really glad to see the season go forward!!

By the way!!  Beef, pork, or chicken will STILL make a hotdog! A hotdog at a ballgame is one of the best memories a kid will ever have!!

Just now, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

Never said that I did not like baseball.  I as well as you have the right to express my opinion.

I actually grew up on baseball.  I despise the BS that has been ongoing.

Unfortunately, you cannot accept that others might not be on the same set of tracks as you.  Maybe an appointment in Washington would be a good fit for you.

Yes you have the right to say what you want and I have the right to say what I want and I did. Again, no one that’s likes baseball in here cares about why you don’t like it. It won’t change anyones mind . I think maybe Washington might be a better fit for you because no one cares what they think either, you’d fit right in!

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I like beef and I like chicken, but pork may be my favorite!

I’ll be glad to see the shift go, the sooner the better!!

I hope with the departure of the “man on second” rule, that extra innings will return to what it was and always should be!!!

I despise the DH!!  Pitchers should be hitters too!!  Take your swings, just like the rest of the team!

All in all, I’m really glad to see the season go forward!!

By the way!!  Beef, pork, or chicken will STILL make a hotdog! A hotdog at a ballgame is one of the best memories a kid will ever have!!

I never cared for the DH but I’ve been following an AL team for so long I kinda got used it. I think it’s a better game without it but at least both leagues care on the same page. 
I hated that man on second in the 10th inning baloney for sure!!

Now ya got me wanting a hot dog!!

Grilled or boiled?:P

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I never cared for the DH but I’ve been following an AL team for so long I kinda got used it. I think it’s a better game without it but at least both leagues care on the same page. 
I hated that man on second in the 10th inning baloney for sure!!

Now ya got me wanting a hot dog!!

Grilled or boiled?:P

If you’ve never had a deep fat fried hotdog, you ain’t lived!!  Drop it in the fryer, good hot oil, and wait for it to float back to the top

Boiled is okay.

Steamed in beer is better.

Grilled is great!

Deep fat fried is fantastic!!

I also like to broil hotdogs with Italian sausages and brats in a roasting pan in the oven too!  Lots of onion and peppers chopped and some sautéed mushrooms with Worstershire and butter added about half way through the cooking and served with spicy mustard and a good tomato and pepper based hot sauce!

STILL a hotdog at the ballpark in any form is top shelf stuff!

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you’ve never had a deep fat fried hotdog, you ain’t lived!!  Drop it in the fryer, good hot oil, and wait for it to float back to the top

Boiled is okay.

Steamed in beer is better.

Grilled is great!

Deep fat fried is fantastic!!

I also like to broil hotdogs with Italian sausages and brats in a roasting pan in the oven too!  Lots of onion and peppers chopped and some sautéed mushrooms with Worstershire and butter added about half way through the cooking and served with spicy mustard and a good tomato and pepper based hot sauce!

STILL a hotdog at the ballpark in any form is top shelf stuff!

Never had a deep fat fried hit dog, I’ll have to try it!

I agree there’s nothing like  a hot dog at a ball game washed down with a nice cold beer on a warm evening!

Play ball!!

14 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The last time baseball interested me was with Mel Allen, I thiink he was still on board with the Mantle / Marris duel.. https://www.pophistorydig.com/topics/tag/mantle-maris-home-run-race-1961/

I remember that race, my home team the Indians, had Maris for one year and they traded him! One of the many terrible trades they made. 
I was rooting for Roger Maris. He didn’t let me down .

I was living just outside New York City as a youngster playing Little League ball when that went on!

Still think of it often!

I'm glad to see the DH in the NL now. I hope the Cards will bring Pujohls back! Glad to see the end of the shift and the 2nd Base rule.

However...this IS the Saloon. Open discussion, pro and con. Of course, censorship does play a part. As long as you don't say "bumblin' biden", you won't get yourself in trouble. Of course, the most interesting things to discuss are religion, and politics, the very things we are admonished not to discuss.    

But...Opinions are like arm-pits...most every one has at least two.

As to baseball, I loved playing it, in the summer, as sponsored by the Y.M.C.A., (the Christian organization, not the limp-wristed singing group).

Loved to play, but not so much just watching it. However, I loved watching Nolan Ryan pitch (Bowling is the same way...rather play it, than watch it). :D

2 hours ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: As a youngster, spent considerable time in Yankee Stadium.  At this point with what has transpired, I do not care.  And I live literally a ten minute walk from the Cubs spring training facility.

Atta boy, Chas. One more reason I like you folks.

One of my favorite memories is going to an opening day game at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Frank Robinson was the new player manager of the Cleveland Indians. He put himself in as DH and in his first at bat he hit a home run ! The stadium went wild.

I believe he was the first black player manager in baseball history. There’s a statue of him at the new stadium.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

One of my favorite memories is going to an opening day game at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Frank Robinson was the new player manager of the Cleveland Indians. He put himself in as DH and in his first at bat he hit a home run ! The stadium went wild.

I believe he was the first black player manager in baseball history. There’s a statue of him at the new stadium.

Way before we had two pro-baseball teams here, in our State, I was a big Cleveland Indians fan. I still have a cap, with an image of Chief Wahoo on it. Thankfully, I have the memories, and the cap, before the P.C. crowd took over, and had their way. I still wear the cap to our high school football games, since our mascot is the Indians. So far, the "thought police", and the "opinion police" can't take the memories away, or the opinions either....not saying, at some future date, they won't try. The "Tribe" still lives on, in our hearts, and minds. 

I'm glad that the baseball season will be played in it's 162 game schedule. I'm also glad that they got rid of the man on second base for extra innings, that was a dumb idea to begin with.

Minimum wage of $700,000? I can't fault the players for the outrageous salaries paid but I don't have to like the results that come with it... $80 crumby seats, $10 beers/hot dogs, etc.

The DH should go away in both leagues. If both teams pitchers had at bats, the amount of hit batters would go down, way down. Baseball would be played the way it was meant to be played.

I don't agree with expanded playoffs. Only the best teams should be in the playoffs, so-so teams would be forced to get better or sit out the playoffs.

I liked it when teams played the shift. I can't see why they banned it. I loved it when a team put the shift on and the hitter hit the ball where the players should have been.

GO RAYS

We pay pre-school through high school teachers a crummy wage, and they are the most educated group among us, and we pay folks that play ball, a few years, a huge salary, which some misuse, while they kneel at the playing of the national anthem.   

Who is more important to our way of life...the teacher, or the ball player? Yep...this life ain't fair. Never has been, never will be, and me griping about it won't change a thing. All it will do is remind me that I see the discrepancy and open myself up to criticism. My opinion and $8.00 might buy you a gallon of gasoline in Kalifornia.    

I'm with Larsen, what's a "shift".?

54 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What's a shift?

It’s when they shift the shortstop over and the second baseman in the short right outfield because the LH hitters are pulling the ball to the right , opposite for the RH hitters or however the hitter tends to pull the ball. You’d think that the hitters would learn to hit around this but they don’t .:o Puzzling to me!

Archived