SASS Wire Forum

WWII tech, revived

From a shortwave listening group, the BBC is broadcasting into the Ukraine on shortwave.

15.735 MHz, if you have a ham radio, it'll make a fine shortwave receiver, set it for AM instead of USB or LSB.

My low altitude antenna might not pick it up but I'll give it a try.

As of 7 am this date (Eastern Standard time), the signal was clear and strong into Vermont.

Additional information as I get it! -- Linn -- edit -- got some, it's below!

Unfortunately I only have 2 meter and 70 cm for my mobile. I will need to dust off my old short wave and see what I can hear.

Additional/supplemental:
 "Yesterday, Radio World reported that the BBC World Service is reviving its shortwave radio broadcasting abilities in light of Russia’s crackdown on Western media and internet access for those enduring Putin’s deadly invasion. Going forward, the BBCWS will broadcast four hours of English news broken into two blocks daily that can be picked up by people in Kyiv and some parts of Russia. The frequencies will be on 15735 kHz between 1400 and 1600 UTC (9 a.m. to 11 a.m. EST), and 5875 kHz between 2000 and 2200 UTC (8 p.m. EST to 10 p.m. EST). Although far fewer people have access to shortwave radios these days, any additional means to supply reliable updates and news to the region will help."

This more complete quote lists a second frequency, but more importantly, broadcast times.

Shortwave receivers often have a telescoping antenna. A length of any common wire will lengthen the antenna, a recommended step until sunspot activity makes long distance reception better than what it's been. I've hung a wire off a curtain rod and across the room, or if outdoors, into a tree as high as I could toss it. Higher and longer is better with a wire antenna!

-- Linn

Sedalia Dave, you're right ... it would make more sense to me, but then I'm just a poor dumb hillbilly!

11 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Sedalia Dave, you're right ... it would make more sense to me, but then I'm just a poor dumb hillbilly!

I'm right there with you.

Archived