SASS Wire Forum

Jenorado's Uberti '73 rifle stock refinish

Buckshot Bear

My wife Jenorado's new Uberti '73 rifle stock refinish, we have had weeks of rain and have flooded twice in a week and its NICE to see the sun out today!

So far I have 12 coats of boiled linseed oil. The Uberti finish you literally had to breath on and it scratched back to raw wood.

20220219_125522_resized.thumb.jpg.90020aa7fff74bf7afc9cce48f88e189.jpg

20220219_125620_resized.thumb.jpg.bd3dec251e0bbb1ff04fb84a7000412b.jpg

20220219_151518_resized.thumb.jpg.94a02c5ee4c89c9cdf49dd59c951b609.jpg

IMG_20220310_110526_01_resized.thumb.jpg.bbbdbb17a361ee9f869fa8248e248d49.jpg

Looks Great...I used Citri-Strip with great results but my color came out lighter than yours.    GW

Just now, G W Wade said:

Looks Great...I used Citri-Strip with great results but my color came out lighter than yours.    GW

When I did mine the Uberti wood was almost white when stripped back like balsa wood and not much harder than balsa wood. This wood is very dense, hard and noticeably heavier. 

Nicely done. I too have had good success with CitraStrip. I have not done larger pieces but have used it on 1873 SAA clone grips. I put on the CitraStip them let them sit overnight in a ziplock freezer bag. The next day the finish could be wiped off. Then I stained with some Minwax dark walnut stain & a bunch of coats of boiled linseed oil. 

4F686C83-61F9-4F66-BA26-19258546D003.jpeg

3 minutes ago, portugeejn said:

Nicely done. I too have had good with CitraStrip. I have not done larger pieces but have used it on 1873 SAA clone grips. I put on the CitraStip them let them sit overnight in a ziplock freezer bag. The next day the finish could be wiped off. Then I stained with some Minwax dark walnut stain & a bunch of coats of boiled linseed oil. 

I will buy some Citristrip, they sell it down here. The stuff I used was pretty darn nasty. 

Not sure you need ant advice.   Job you did is very nice    GW

11 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Not sure you need ant advice.   Job you did is very nice    GW

Appreciated, always open for advice and I've gotten a lot from my questions I've asked here. Great lot of pards. 

16 hours ago, Hendo said:

Ya done good, Pard. Jen ain't gonna want your rifle because her's is prettier. :D

LOL Hendo....it did turn out nicer than mine....and I have hinted they we can swap and was replied to with a big "NOOOOOOOO" :) :) :) 

27 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Looks good.  I’ve never tried Linseed Oil, my go to finish (at least for pistol grips) is Tung Oil, haven’t done a rifle stock yet. 

C"mon man, get on it. :D

@Buckshot Bear So is the method, use citristrip, then stain and the BLO? I wonder how light in colour the stock would be without the stain? I have a Uberti 1873 with a few dents then I want to fix. I also want to try my hand at refinishing the stock as I've never done one before.

I see citristrip, stains and BLO are available at Bunnings in Aus. If it goes well I might have a a crack at my Stoeger as well.

What's everyone's opinion of BLO compared to Tru Oil?

19 hours ago, TheOtherLeft said:

@Buckshot Bear So is the method, use citristrip, then stain and the BLO? I wonder how light in colour the stock would be without the stain? I have a Uberti 1873 with a few dents then I want to fix. I also want to try my hand at refinishing the stock as I've never done one before.

I see citristrip, stains and BLO are available at Bunnings in Aus. If it goes well I might have a a crack at my Stoeger as well.

I haven't used BLO, although I'm pretty sure that most that are commercially available have some sort of hardener mixed in these days. I saw a pretty good article on it, but can't find it right now. 

Having said that, I have used Tru-Oil on all of my gun projects. It's pretty hard to mess up with it, just be patient. 

On 3/18/2022 at 1:28 PM, TheOtherLeft said:

@TheOtherLeft

Orient Express it was really nice to meet you and shoot with you at The Last Posse, we were so tired when we finally arrived home last night and unpacked.....3 days of Cowboy shooting.... what a great long weekend!

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@TheOtherLeft

Orient Express it was really nice to meet you and shoot with you at The Last Posse, we were so tired when we finally arrived home last night and unpacked.....3 days of Cowboy shooting.... what a great long weekend!

Yes it was a great shoot, my first ever away match after several years of playing this game. I did a lot better then I thought I would. No clean stages but got very close though.

The only problem is that I'm being tempted by the (un)holy black after shooting Soddie's guns and so might make up some rounds to have a play.

Archived