SASS Wire Forum

No Longer Need a Marlin 1894 Carbine 16" Barrel in 357/38 caliber Widdermatic

Found alternate,

This will be for my wife to get her back into the game.

Many thanks,

Oklahoma Dee

1894?

• Oklahoma Dee changed the title to Looking to Buy a Marlin 1894 Carbine in 357/38 caliber

Glad I could help. Enjoyed meeting you at EOT.

• Oklahoma Dee changed the title to Looking to Buy a Marlin 1894 Carbine 16" Barrel in 357/38 caliber

Don't rule out the Winchester 94AE in the "Trapper" model which is also 16"

• Oklahoma Dee changed the title to Looking to Buy a Marlin 1894 Carbine 16" Barrel in 357/38 caliber Widdermatic

I had to trim the spring on my Marlin 94 CS… holds and feeds 10

OK Dee- are you certain that you all need a 16” there are many more 18.5” Marlin 94 in circulation.

A 16” Marlin will NOT hold 10 .38 Specisls. You’d have to run .38 Long Colt (maybe) or .38 Short Colt and you’re gonna have a tough time getting any of those to feed period let alone at speed. 

I am new to cas, but not the shooting sports.  Lucky to have had a 1894c 38/357 with ballard rifling sitting in the safe when I started the cas games.  

This is fact.  It got a spring cut and a pioneer steel follower.  It holds 10 38's and 9 357's.  

Truth:  I accidently loaded 11 ea 38's in it at a match.  Was using up a box of 125 grain lead rnfp bullets set to the crimp groove.  Did not have a loading strip yet.  Was one bullet short at the loading table when filling my revolvers...

Bottom line:  A Marlin 1894c 38/357 will hold ten normal length bullet 38's no problem.

I paid $400 for my Marlin NIB when guns were inexpensive.  My new model vaqueros were $375 each NIB when they first came out and have the narrow front sight groove and barrels screwed on perfectly...  I put the Marlin up soon after purchase because it was not a tack driver.  I did not try recrown, etc. but mine is a 4" rifle at 50 yards, no better.  The heavier the bullet, the better for accuracy.

Now for my comment and why I chirped in...  Can anyone tell me where to get new carriers for a Marlin??  It seems not wise to do the Widdermatic modifications without an easy source for carriers. 

Personally, I'll be buying a 1873 one of these days when I can afford it.  For myself, parts availability rules my thought process.

13 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

I am new to cas, but not the shooting sports.  Lucky to have had a 1894c 38/357 with ballard rifling sitting in the safe when I started the cas games.  

This is fact.  It got a spring cut and a pioneer steel follower.  It holds 10 38's and 9 357's.  

Truth:  I accidently loaded 11 ea 38's in it at a match.  Was using up a box of 125 grain lead rnfp bullets set to the crimp groove.  Did not have a loading strip yet.  Was one bullet short at the loading table when filling my revolvers...

Bottom line:  A Marlin 1894c 38/357 will hold ten normal length bullet 38's no problem.

I paid $400 for my Marlin NIB when guns were inexpensive.  My new model vaqueros were $375 each NIB when they first came out and have the narrow front sight groove and barrels screwed on perfectly...  I put the Marlin up soon after purchase because it was not a tack driver.  I did not try recrown, etc. but mine is a 4" rifle at 50 yards, no better.  The heavier the bullet, the better for accuracy.

Now for my comment and why I chirped in...  Can anyone tell me where to get new carriers for a Marlin??  It seems not wise to do the Widdermatic modifications without an easy source for carriers. 

Personally, I'll be buying a 1873 one of these days when I can afford it.  For myself, parts availability rules my thought process.

Check your barrel length, I would venture to bet that it's 18" or longer.

J.M

I got it out and checked.  

Johnny, you are absolutely correct.  A Marlin 1984c in 38/357 has an 18" barrel.  

My loading screwup was with COL 38 special brass loads at 1.3470".  The did feed though really a bit too short for my comfort.  Was burning up old stuff.

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

The 16” 94 I had in .357 was a Win AE and it barely held 10x .38 spl.  

I do have a 16” 92 Rossi and it holds 10x .44 spl (which are the same length as my .38 spl cartridges).  

Both types (including the Marlin 94) hold their first round in the receiver (as opposed to in the tube itself).

Is the 94CS the shortest Marlin?  

Back to the top and gentlemen,..... while I do appreciate your insight to my request to a possible purchase, please start your own Thread and Subject concerning this additional information

Next time, instead populating a Request, try PMing the person.

Thank you kindly,  Oklahoma Dee

• Oklahoma Dee changed the title to No Longer Need a Marlin 1894 Carbine 16" Barrel in 357/38 caliber Widdermatic

Archived