SASS Wire Forum

SASS Championship Buckle for 2022 EOT Category Champions

42 minutes ago, john brown said:

I have seen this happen in other games .In an attempt to draw more players they dilute the game awards down to feel good awards  where everyone is a champion  and a slow decline starts.:(

I'm curious what those other games are.

Phantom

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, john brown said:

Did you know that PICKLE BALL is the fastest growing sport in America.;)

I gave that sport up because the pickles never seen to bounce off the surface properly. I tried dill, Kosher, sweet, semi -sweet, and all brands Heinz, Mount Olive, Vlasic, .......

2 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I gave that sport up because the pickles never seen to bounce off the surface properly. I tried dill, Kosher, sweet, semi -sweet, and all brands Heinz, Mount Olive, Vlasic, .......

I find that the ORGANIC kind have a better bounce.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:37 PM, Assassin said:

Jim, I agree with too many categories. Some I would consider major others minor. The major categories should go 10 deep, minor categories 3 deep at world and nationals. If only 3 sign up for a category 1 award. The number of categories has become ridiculous, especially when considering cost of awards. 

Ditto, Like the major/minor category idea. Never has been a right answer to this problem after the door was opened up.

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm curious what those other games are.

Phantom

T Ball comes to mind.

19 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

T Ball comes to mind.

Track ,tennis, some football, Baseball, swimming and on and on 

This is a psychological incentive to continue playing the game. Remember when everyone gets a trophy no one wins.

Now back to the Pickle Ball debate.;)

Since most members of SASS are at least 60 years of age, and did not grow up in the "I should get a trophy because I participated in such and such" , I believe that if you don't beat someone in your category, why should you get an award?  I met a shooter that came in last in his category at a state championship, and in the bottom 1% of all shooters, but he was the only shooter from that state in his category, he was the state champion!!!!!  

IF YOU DON'T BEAT SOMEONE ELSE, YOU DON'T DESERVE A TROPHY.

Just an opinion from an old SASS member.

2 hours ago, john brown said:

Track ,tennis, some football, Baseball, swimming and on and on 

This is a psychological incentive to continue playing the game. Remember when everyone gets a trophy no one wins.

Now back to the Pickle Ball debate.;)

Most of the "everybody gets an award" is in the kids games/leagues. And many adults will point out that they think that's a bad thing.

It's been pointed out that in SASS the percentage of shooters at a big match who qualify for an award is pretty high with the many categories offered. That's one issue. The problem seems to be getting worse though because of the level of quality being expected for each prize down through top 10.  The winners buckles/trophies should be high quality but with the number of categories just those add up to a lot let alone top 10 awards

21 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Most of the "everybody gets an award" is in the kids games/leagues. And many adults will point out that they think that's a bad thing.

It's been pointed out that in SASS the percentage of shooters at a big match who qualify for an award is pretty high with the many categories offered. That's one issue. The problem seems to be getting worse though because of the level of quality being expected for each prize down through top 10.  The winners buckles/trophies should be high quality but with the number of categories just those add up to a lot let alone top 10 awards

With awards being 10 deep the definition of champion is diluted. 

41 minutes ago, john brown said:

With awards being 10 deep the definition of champion is diluted. 

Curious... Have you been to a "big" match? Your understanding of "10 deep" is flawed. 2-10 are not the Champions.

1 hour ago, john brown said:

I won a big PICKLE BALL MATCH  does that count?:P

Remind me to never step on the court with you.

When categories were added they never thought about all the additional sub categories. Funny thing about all the categories, before we added them we had many more members. Same with big and close targets, we had more members prior to 2008. Someone needs to look back and figure out what happened in order to fix the problems. 

44 minutes ago, Assassin said:

When categories were added they never thought about all the additional sub categories. Funny thing about all the categories, before we added them we had many more members. Same with big and close targets, we had more members prior to 2008. Someone needs to look back and figure out what happened in order to fix the problems. 

I've attended matches all cross the country over the last 18 years and I can't recall anyone  complaining about Big and Close, but many complaints about awards ceremonies being to long!

23 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

I've attended matches all cross the country over the last 18 years and I can't recall anyone  complaining about Big and Close, but many complaints about awards ceremonies being to long!

Just saying, I don't think folks wouldn't shoot if they lost their categories or the targets were moved out a couple yards.

They abolished modern and traditional and people didn't leave in large numbers.

If we get rid of some categories will people quit? Probably not, they'll just be pissed for a while and deal with it. 

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Just saying, I don't think folks wouldn't shoot if they lost their categories or the targets were moved out a couple yards.

They abolished modern and traditional and people didn't leave in large numbers.

If we get rid of some categories will people quit? Probably not, they'll just be pissed for a while and deal with it. 

Which categories would you like to see removed first?

4 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I’m almost Senior age however, I don’t see myself moving to Senior… so many age based category breakouts from 60-75+.

As for SASS/CAS being a dying sport… that is WRONG.  I gave @Misty Moonshine a block of 300 or so postcards to put in new member packets since I’m an Affiliated Merchant… she said, “This will last about a WEEK”.  A week! 

If WE WOULD STOP saying “it’s dying etc…” and be POSITIVE about the sport… we might have a different perspective. 

HUGS!

Scarlett

38 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I’m almost Senior age however, I don’t see myself moving to Senior… so many age based category breakouts from 60-75+.

As for SASS/CAS being a dying sport… that is WRONG.  I gave @Misty Moonshine a block of 300 or so postcards to put in new member packets since I’m an Affiliated Merchant… she said, “This will last about a WEEK”.  A week! 

If WE WOULD STOP saying “it’s dying etc…” and be POSITIVE about the sport… we might have a different perspective. 

HUGS!

Scarlett

Unless the positioning of SASS changes, it'll die.

Markets change and companies that adjust die out. Wishing this wasn't true won't change this.

Phantom

6 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I wouldn't like to see them removed.

It would be a difficult decision. Probably just look at the least populated categories and start there. Even some of the WB have admitted the addition of categories was out of control.

41 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I wouldn't like to see them removed.

It would be a difficult decision. Probably just look at the least populated categories and start there. Even some of the WB have admitted the addition of categories was out of control.

If more categories are considered bad for the sport, I wonder, then, why SASS unilaterally added 2 new categories to the SHB this year?

4 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

If more categories are considered bad for the sport, I wonder, then, why SASS unilaterally added 4 new categories to the SHB this year?

I saw two, El Rey and La Reina.  What were the other two?  

actually that's not two categories - its at least 16

El Rey

La Reina

El Rey B-Western

La Reina B-Western

El Rey Gunfighter

La Reina Gunfigther

El Rey Duelist

La Reina Duelist

El Rey Frontier Cartridge

La Reina Frontier Cartridge

El Rey Frontier Cartridge Duelist

La Reina Frontier Cartridge Duelist

El Rey Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

La Reina Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

El Rey Classic Cowboy

La Reina Classic Cowgirl

probably missed a couple

7 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I'd toss B-Western and Classic since you could always shoot other categories with those firearms and styles and clothes.  I'd make categories for ages 10 years apart for anything senior and above to start

1 minute ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

I'd toss B-Western and Classic since you could always shoot other categories with those firearms and styles and clothes.  I'd make categories for ages 10 years apart for anything senior and above to start

tenor.gif.4dda11e1ec832552f1b79c54e0e239e3.gif

19 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

If more categories are considered bad for the sport, I wonder, then, why SASS unilaterally added 2 new categories to the SHB this year?

Is adding categories helping to grow SASS? Adding categories is just appeasing age groups today, nothing against them. Also, allowing older shooters to shoot in a younger category and adding more categories for older shooters make no sense. 

On 3/23/2022 at 4:00 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Either would have been fine with me.

I know folks were really hoping to get their "bronze" horsey trophy thingie for winning their category... Not the painted Cowboy.

Someone or some people were definitely not in sync with their Customers.

Phantom

We would have loved to have the Remington's as first prize.  As a match we were known for it.  When SASS dictates the shooting categories and the addition ones that we had to offer (with zero additional contestants).  We simply could not afford it and maintain the cost.  You may remember that we ran a survey 3-5 years ago where we asked if folks wanted the same trophies or more categories - most said the trophies but now that we became the World Championship we didn't have the choice to limit the categories like we were before.    Additionally as I've mentioned before.  When EOT was at founders, the trophies were not great those last years.  The Plastic Globes were not nearly as nice as the Remington's.  And they stopped giving out the nice pewter "SASS Marshal's" after 2015-2016.  In 2017 the awards were sponsored by the NRA and yet the trophies were worse than before. (My 2nd place was a wooden plaque not a Marshal for example)

7 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

We would have loved to have the Remington's as first prize.  As a match we were known for it.  When SASS dictates the shooting categories and the addition ones that we had to offer (with zero additional contestants).  We simply could not afford it and maintain the cost.  You may remember that we ran a survey 3-5 years ago where we asked if folks wanted the same trophies or more categories - most said the trophies but now that we became the World Championship we didn't have the choice to limit the categories like we were before.    Additionally as I've mentioned before.  When EOT was at founders, the trophies were not great those last years.  The Plastic Globes were not nearly as nice as the Remington's.  And they stopped giving out the nice pewter "SASS Marshal's" after 2015-2016.  In 2017 the awards were sponsored by the NRA and yet the trophies were worse than before. (My 2nd place was a wooden plaque not a Marshal for example)

Easy fix seeing YOUR club is actually in control  1 Raise fees  2 cut back on categories 3 set your club standards and stick to them and tell SASS HQ your requirements. Called tough LOVE

Archived