SASS Wire Forum

Primer Question

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

Ok, I know federal primers are the preferred ones for everyone.

I was just looking at Targetsports website and they have 2 types: regular and Premium Gold Medal.

Is there any real difference? Are the gold medal worth the extra $ ?

I’d like to find out before I buy some!

Tell, I am only seeing the gold match available at this time.  I wish we knew the future because the frugal side of me says buy wait for cheaper and the hoarder side says buy while you know you can,

Those prices are insane. Oh to be independently wealthy......

Back when I was a pretty serious 22-250 shooter/loader in pursuit of the smallest groups possible I found that the match grade primers could result in about a 1/4" smaller group when shooting at 200 yards on a calm day vs the standard version of the same primer.  Not much difference, but there is a difference.  Worth the premium price?  Probably not for SASS ranges and targets, but if it is the difference between shooting and not shooting the match I would probably say they are worth the premium price.

** Rumor Mill **

I have been told a few times that the Match primers are mixed by the more tenured folks at the plant.  No idea if that is true.

I have shot both and the only thing I prefer when it comes to Federal primers is the Magnum SPP over the standard SPP.  Match or regular, I don't factor in.

Totes

1 hour ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

Tell, from what I have seen you are very good to your wife and she to you but thought I would remind you she should always get the best.  See you and Angels in a few days.

Well she’s gonna be shooting the federals we have NOW at Trailhead!

Regarding your comment- ask her about her new LEATHER, or do you already know?

I stopped in 2 different Sportsmans Warehouses a couple days ago and bought Federal LP primers for $5.30 per 100 and CCI sg primers for $4.89 per 100. Makes me think that these mailorder places that charge $75 and up plus shipping and hazmat are ripping people off.

kR

Texas ShaDi,

Yes, I have bought from target sports with no problem.  I called and spoke to a lady and I believe she said they had been in business 12 years. So I ordered and received my purchase of primers.  My buy was about six weeks ago.

Archived