SASS Wire Forum

What say you. Ruger vs Pietta. Price vs price

I have a pair of Great Western II Californians in 44-40 that I bought in 2004. Never been in a repair shop, however they are not my main match guns. Probably shoot them in 4 or 5 match’s a year, but I think they would hold up pretty good if ran more. Major factor, their hand is run with a coil spring and plunger like a Ruger.  No action job per se, just smoothed, honed and lighter springs done by yours truly.

9 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Buy once, cry once. 

Does that mean to spend money on quality? Spend on what you want? Or to spend on what you thought was best for you and it wasn't?

LOL, sorry but that saying is horrible IMO. In todays world most always you are paying for a name and paying usually more than what that name is worth.

Don't get me wrong I jumped on a pair of NMV but I don't shoot them near as good as I do a couple conversion cylinder 1858's.

It would be interesting if there was an 'equipment' poll done at EOT or Landrun to see where makers landed compared to rankings.  An extra couple questions on the registration form, then compile the list and rankings at the end.

I prefer Rugers over Pietta's 100%.  Yes, the Pietta's may function fine, but to me the quality and strength of the Ruger's are worth the extra money.

The set of Pietta's I have would not lock up properly without having to fit the bolt myself.  I hear that is common with new Piettas.

Totes

I think every company struggles with quality control. Rugers are built like tanks for sure. And don't get me wrong I like them allot. What I don't like is paying a inflated price for them. I think it would be interesting to see what firearms people shot. But not just the Champions, but the little guys as well. 

We have both, the piettas are very well made and finished out nicely, the mrs. Shoots the piettas, i have a set of omv, she just bought a omv, and says it sure feels different,  but seems to shoot the same, I also wont pay the inflated prices for the rugers, they are available at decent prices, but it does take some looking and you have to act when you find one.

Overall I would buy more piettas, i think they are a good value for the money.

When I decided to start shooting black powder, I wanted to switch to 44-40.  I bought two American Regulators made by Uberti, then I thought if you are going to shoot this caliber buy new.  So, I bought two Cattleman's II in 44-40 also made by Uberti.  The following season I bought two Vaqueros in 44-40 and much prefer them as my main match guns.  That is why I have bought six more Vaqueros in varying barrel lengths for use on various ranges.  

If one can afford the Vaqueros, I would buy the Vaqueros as that is what I always come back to for my main match firearms.

First a little CAVEAT:  I don't like Rugers.  Never have.  I like Pietta.  The Pietta GW II is the best value for dollar for our game.  Everything on the market takes a bit of fiddling to play this game.  So, It it feels good - -  Do It

The other thing to consider, is the price difference may keep someone out of the game, and from my seat we need more people getting in.

Kinda like snap on tools vs gearwrench tools, both nicely made, and the less expensive ones do the same thing, might not last as long,  but lets you play.

6 hours ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

I want a new set of 45s  I am a Ruger fan but I can get two Pietta for less than the price one Vaquero. I am reading that the quality of the Piettas is very good. What say you

I have a set of 357 Rugers NMV with the full Jimmy Spurs work up as my main match guns.  I've wanted to pick up a 2nd set for awhile but really couldn't justify the expense vs the need.  Last week I picked up a set of new Pietta Great Western II's in 45 from my local gun shop.  Out the door with NYS tax for less than $1000 total. I was influenced after watching Deuce's video review. I haven't used them in a match yet but the fit and finish is really good, the trigger pull is smooth. They will be a good back up set or a loaner if another cowboy needs them

The wife and I both compete.  I've shot SASS for about 20 years.  Currently the wife shoots Ruger Single Sixes in .32 mag and loves them.  I'm shooting Piettas (with longer 1860 grip frames).

We own multiple pairs of Rugers, Piettas, Ubertis, and Colts.  We are both shooting what feels the best to us; luckily, at this point in life, we can afford to shoot pretty much whatever we want. 

We both started with Rugers and both still own those original revolvers.  If you want a pair of nearly indestructible pistols that can be "race ready" by only adding spring kits and maybe some lowered hammers, Rugers are hard to beat.  I love my Piettas, but they have been tuned by a great gunsmith and contain several Colt 2nd gen parts.  I like them so much that I have an identical back-up pair ready if one of my originals needs a visit to the "gun doctor".  That has happened on occasion.

Rugers are kind of like a "restomod" classic car; on the exterior they look like the original, but they're a totally modern car under the sheet metal.  A Pietta is basically identical to 2nd gen Colt - like driving an all-original antique car.  They may not be quite as durable as new technology, but to me they just feel right. 

5 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Does that mean to spend money on quality? Spend on what you want? Or to spend on what you thought was best for you and it wasn't?

LOL, sorry but that saying is horrible IMO. In todays world most always you are paying for a name and paying usually more than what that name is worth.

Don't get me wrong I jumped on a pair of NMV but I don't shoot them near as good as I do a couple conversion cylinder 1858's.

I would buy Vaqueros and be done. Not only are they built to last a lifetime, they have a safety feature no other making has; you can spin the cylinder just opening the loading gate. I have seen a shooter lose his grip on his non-Ruger trying to lower the hammer after loading it. It got away from him with a loud click. All of us at the loading table stopped for a second as we knew that could have been bad. How many folks do you see fiddling with their revolver trying to get the hammer down on an empty chamber? Not everyone does the load one, skip one, load four. Many shooters want to make sure the cylinder will do a full revolution with no high rounds locking it up. I wonder many times when a shooter is in the middle of the shooting string and suddenly has a dead chamber, did they had the hammer down on an empty chamber at the loading table? I have not seen anyone checking anyone at the loading table since moving from Indiana. Safety and reliability. I think it was Elmer Keith that said something about Colt making a fine gun but Bill Ruger made it better.

5 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

It would be interesting if there was an 'equipment' poll done at EOT or Landrun to see where makers landed compared to rankings.  An extra couple questions on the registration form, then compile the list and rankings at the end.

I prefer Rugers over Pietta's 100%.  Yes, the Pietta's may function fine, but to me the quality and strength of the Ruger's are worth the extra money.

The set of Pietta's I have would not lock up properly without having to fit the bolt myself.  I hear that is common with new Piettas.

Totes

My Pietta, identical to the one in the above video, has been fine so far. My NMV in 45 was never quite right, always something new wrong with it. I got it working with some new parts and sold it. The aftertaste lingers with a troublesome gun.

I shoot an Uberti El Patron and a Pietta GWII, when going with 45s. I wouldn't expect them to take the beating that Vaqueros often get, but I am not a high level shooter out a number of times a month.

Brought these Pietta's home yesterday, I've bought them as 'cheaper' club guns for newbies to try out CAS at our club.

They are REALLY nice, can't believe how easy they are to cock the hammers! Cylinder is rock tight....all in all very nice.

SNY02001.thumb.JPG.5186b1f6cd4b8c793c79b0de1b906253.JPG

SNY02002.thumb.JPG.0c69dabd2d8e19670838814f411eac2c.JPG

SNY02003.thumb.JPG.134119f64c93296375aa68cf8d9578de.JPG

SNY02004.thumb.JPG.faffb3b38a1a7874e906d059edc642d1.JPG

ive got a main match set of rugers in 45colt and a main match set of EMF in 38s&w , i like both but they are quite different , i have a ruger backup for the 45s and a berreta backup for the 38s , that lets me finish with same feel and operation in the event of an issue , 

im of the opinion that the comment of buy once cry once was meant to say but what he really wants to shoot - pay a bit more if those are what you are really inclined to , you can end up buying a lot of revolvers getting to where you want to end up otherwise , i have 

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

I would buy Vaqueros and be done. Not only are they built to last a lifetime, they have a safety feature no other making has; you can spin the cylinder just opening the loading gate. I have seen a shooter lose his grip on his non-Ruger trying to lower the hammer after loading it. It got away from him with a loud click. All of us at the loading table stopped for a second as we knew that could have been bad. How many folks do you see fiddling with their revolver trying to get the hammer down on an empty chamber? Not everyone does the load one, skip one, load four. Many shooters want to make sure the cylinder will do a full revolution with no high rounds locking it up. I wonder many times when a shooter is in the middle of the shooting string and suddenly has a dead chamber, did they had the hammer down on an empty chamber at the loading table? I have not seen anyone checking anyone at the loading table since moving from Indiana. Safety and reliability. I think it was Elmer Keith that said something about Colt making a fine gun but Bill Ruger made it better.

My point is not everyone likes Rugers. If they did the others would not be in business. The tail of the loading table could happen with someone using a Ruger that did not pay attention. The gun it cares less what you do it is your responsibility to be safe. 

I personally would buy what felt right in the hand to me. Be it Vaquero's , Pietta's, cap n ball, whatever. 

I’m a big Colt fan and Piettas and Ubertis feel more like Colts. I’ve had several of each. I don’t like the feel of Rugers at all. Just MHO 

It's like when the young reporter asked an old cowboy if real cowboys wore boxers, or briefs. The old cowboy's answer was: "Depends".

It depends on what you want. 

Both are quality revolvers.

The Ruger will be quite a bit more expensive. It is possible to buy two Pietta's, for the price of one Ruger...in today's market.

The Ruger will be heavier.

The Pietta will come in more available "original old west" calibers: i.e. 44 wcf, for instance (as well as .45 Colt).

The Pietta will feel, and work, and weigh, more like the original Colt...which also means it will likely have the same faults/weaknesses. 

You gotta weigh the pros, and cons, based on your own personal preferences, and how "old west authentic" you desire to be. 

W.K.  

On 3/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

I want a new set of 45s  I am a Ruger fan but I can get two Pietta for less than the price one Vaquero. I am reading that the quality of the Piettas is very good. What say you

For what it's worth, I have two pairs of each, Pietta and Ruger. The issue with a question like this is everyone comes out of the wood work, to argue their case for one over the other. My suggestion is simply this: If you want to shoot .45 Colt and can score the Piettas for a good price, go for it. There is nothing wrong with them - they are fine irons.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:52 AM, Cholla said:

Buy once, cry once. 

Who buys once?  I only have one pair but I've only been a member for a year.  I'd have 3 or 4 pairs of revolvers if I could.

As to Ruger vs. Pietta, my pair are Piettas.  If I was really concerned about the price, I'd get the Piettas.  If not, I'd get whatever you prefer.  I like my Piettas but guns get banged around in this sport, if you can't stomach to beat up $2000 pair, don't.

46 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

Who buys once?  I only have one pair but I've only been a member for a year.  I'd have 3 or 4 pairs of revolvers if I could.

As to Ruger vs. Pietta, my pair are Piettas.  If I was really concerned about the price, I'd get the Piettas.  If not, I'd get whatever you prefer.  I like my Piettas but guns get banged around in this sport, if you can't stomach to beat up $2000 pair, don't.

I stomach beating up my 4 Colts but guess what? They hold up just fine ,B)

I would say at this point buy what you can find and upgrade as chance allows. In 2018 I bought my Ruger Bisleys for $1000 a pair. Try doing that now. At that time a new Colt was running about $1800 each. Try buying one these days for that. They are out there buy not like pre-COVID. Almost every site I see is sold out of everything. Cimarron told me in January that 95% of the guns they get are going to backorders, not on the shelf. So, if you need guns to play, see what's available and jump when the price is right.

i started with clones from when they were pure junk.  ran them until i could afford ruger's.  now all of our main match guns are  ruger's, mainly just because i like keeping it simple. one set of parts to bring with. we do own several pietta's that are for my classes or practice. Good guns and they have made it more rounds than my rugers before having broken parts.  the new pietta's are ten times the gun of the older ones. run it correctly and you wont have issues. ultimately use what feels best in your hands. if we were starting out now, i wouldn't buy ruger's purely on the cost.

Archived