SASS Wire Forum

WTB Cowboy guns for my little guy

John E. Law

Hey all, I am looking to get back into the game now that my little guy is almost 8. He's already shooting a highly modified 10/22 charger SBR with a CNC made grip and stock that I build for him a couple of years ago. He's getting bored with static line shooting, so I think it's time to try SASS with him.

The problem is.....finding the guns.

I'm looking for a couple of bearcats, a henry lever youth rifle, and a SxS .410 shotgun. Condition isn't a big concern as long as they are operational and safe to shoot. 

I know a lot will say to start him on the larger stuff and he'll quickly grow into them, but he's a tiny guy and I am tired of waiting to get back. 

Maybe a pair of Ruger Wrangler's, found mine for $199. Also maybe check with @Widder, SASS #59054 for a soft stroked Henry .22, I love mine!

Good Luck

Just picked up a pair of Wranglers for $185.00 each.  Henry lever can be found for $325.00.

Also look at the Heritage 22s with the birdshead grips. My 9 year old g'nephew loves it.

I have a pair of new stainless steel Bearcats I bought for my grandson before he was born and at age 13 he still has no interest in them so it's time to get rid of them. One of them is unfired from the factory  and the other has had two or three cylinders full fired.  I've been looking at gunbroker to see what they've been going for and it looks like $1400 for the pair, shipped from my FFL to yours would work if you're interested. If so, I can send you some pix.

Thanks,

Jerry "MT Jughead" Thunstrom

Ruger is now making Birdhead Wranglers. Might be  just the ticket for small hands. Wranglers aren’t near the gun that single sixes or Bearcats, but at $200 hard to beat. 

If cost is a concern, you could get and old HR single shot 12ga with an ejector and low noise/ low recoil 12 ga shells and see how he does with it.

I still find single shot shotguns in the 100- 150 area and if you cut it down to fit him, you have not spent a lot of money to get a shotgun that fits him.

28 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

If cost is a concern, you could get and old HR single shot 12ga with an ejector and low noise/ low recoil 12 ga shells and see how he does with it.

I still find single shot shotguns in the 100- 150 area and if you cut it down to fit him, you have not spent a lot of money to get a shotgun that fits him.

You know this is not a bad idea, team it up with those Aguila minishells.

And if the single shot has a hammer it is easier to cock then a hammerless. My kids started that way.

I guess the first question I would have is:...is price a big factor? 

A new, or used, Bearcat is a great choice. It will be solidly built, since it is a Ruger...and will retain its value, as well. Some prefer the Bearcat, over the Wrangler. However, the Wrangler is much cheaper. 

A used Marlin, model 39 carbine, is a great choice, and will also retain its value...if you can find one on-line, now-a-days, that is. 

Some like the Henry .22 lever action rifle...also much cheaper than the Marlin, and likely a bit lighter as well, since it has a brass frame, instead of a steel frame. 

A .410 bore shotgun may be pretty expensive. Depends on if you go with a single barrel, or double barrel. Get one, if you can, with a hammer(s) on it, since it will be easier break open to load. A hammerless shotgun has some tension when you break it open to reload, since it is also cocking the mechanism as well. One that has a hammer(s) seems to be easier for the kids to work, and easier to for them to learn on, and understand that it is loaded, cocked, and ready to fire. 

Since your 8-year-old will outgrow them, to a certain extent (although I never outgrew my Bearcat, that I bought in 1965), you may want to consider getting less expensive items.

However...I always wanted the best I could afford, since I always intended to pass them down to my child, and later, God willing, he passes it down to his child. Given time, our 8-year-olds will have children of their own, and they may pass the one's they got from you down to their kids. One never knows that tomorrow may bring, but we still have to sort of plan for a possible future.  

Depends on what you want, and what you want to spend. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

@John E. Law
I started my 9yo last year with a pair of Wranglers, a Baikal 12ga hammerless double and a Henry H001 youth model rifle.  The wranglers definitely needed lighter springs and some polishing (I found that 17lb Wolff main springs were light enuf for him to cock but still strong enuf to set off all types of rim fires. Same spring set as a single six). Make no mistake, the wranglers need some initial work but they have served him well now for over a year with thousands of rounds on target.  The other thing is to make sure the cylinders are good and clean at the start of each match because I found that the few misfires he had were actually due to the round not being fully seated in the chamber (but still deep enough to function) and the firing pin didn’t “pinch” the rim adequately against the shoulder in the chamber.  It takes surprisingly little of that wax coating on the 22lr bullets to gum things up in the chamber. 

The double I got used and pre-slicked from a pard here on the wire.  The stock was cut and a nice recoil pad installed.  It’s a bit heavy for him but he does fine with it and the weight tames the recoil with the light 3/4 oz loads I roll for him.  The poppers all fall down too - which he loves. 

The Henry rifle has been great. He shoots it well, it is light and absolutely zero problems again with thousands of rounds on target. 

Good on you for getting him into the sport. It’s the whole reason I do it myself and the joy of shooting with my boy outweighs all of the other fantastic things about CAS.  Not to mention that it gives him a regular opportunity to be around a bunch of good men and women with strong traditional values, and Lord knows our kids need as much of that as they can possibly get these days. 

Have fun out there!

JJ

I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming response. I was able to pick up a pair of pistols thanks to Red Knee, you Sir are the true since of a great cowboy.

Trigger Mike, I am sending you a PM.

I am still looking for the rifle, I will PM Widder and see if he has any.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

JEL

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You won't regret a Widder Henry

I tried to message him and he has all PMs blocked.

His box is probably full, he helps a lot of Pards. Keep trying!

35 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

His box is probably full, he helps a lot of Pards. Keep trying!

Yep, his box is full!

Last I heard, Widder wasn't doing guns anymore. Eric Slater (In House Guns) used to order the Henry, Widder would do the short stroke on it and slick it up and then Eric would do the trigger job and ship it out. Widder trained Eric to do everything now. I can PM you Eric's number if you are interested and can't find it. 

Archived