* 2 half gallons of Half and Half milk

* Box of Dog Treats

* 2 apples

* 8 Oz tub of whipped Creme cheese

* 6.5 lbs ground chuck

* Package of Kelbasa sausage

* 2 blocks of cheese

* Package of RANA gnocchi 

And you will end up flushing it all down a stool.

Howdy,

I worked in a grocery when I was in high school.

I stamped prices on thousands of items for there was no zebra code.

Tomato soup was 9 cents.

Today often over a dollar.

Only difference is a pop top on the can...and the zebra code.

Inflation is a real monster. 

The bargain is electronics. 24 inch smart tv for 125 dollars.

Thats twelve bucks in the old days.

Best

CR

I keep a list on my phone. I buy most of my groceries at Sam's, and I have file marked FOOD PRICES, SAM'S DEFAULT.

Anything that I normally buy I have on that list, with the Sam's price and then comparison prices at the other grocery stores I shop at - Publix, Walmart, Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly. That way if I'm in a store and I see something that I think I would like, I pull my list up and see if it's cheaper somewhere else.

Saturday I was at Publix, where I bought some Tennessee Pride sausage biscuits, because they were on sale. Sunday I was in Winn-Dixie, and saw the biscuits in the freezer case and added the price to my list. They cost more. I pretty much gave up on soda several years ago. I drink seltzer. Polar brand seltzer is 20 cents a 12 pack cheaper at Winn-Dixie than it is at Publix. But Publix store brand is still a dollar for a 2 Liter bottle, while Winn-Dixie store brand has increased from $0.80 to $1.75.

I have always thought that Publix cost more than any place else I shopped, and I normally only shop there for stuff they either they are the only ones that carry it, or it's on sale. But because I have my list I am frequently surprised to see that some things are cheaper there. Not much - a 20 pack of flour tortillas by the same maker is a nickel cheaper at Publix than Winn-Dixie - but every little bit helps.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Publix runs high on some all of their prices, too.

There, fixed it for you.

The container at the entry doors used to have hand sanitizer in them. Now they contain KY Jelly.

Well the higher prices for “Made in China” could drive manufacturing back to the U.S.A.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Well the higher prices for “Made in China” could drive manufacturing back to the U.S.A.

I would like to think so, but i can see usa manufacturing being held up with environmental impact studies for 10 years

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

C0BE32E2-C2B9-49A0-9F29-5664DE466AB1.jpeg

Have you priced hotdogs lately? For the price of a pack of hotdogs, you could buy 60 primers, a gallon of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies or 2 tallboy beers.

The hot dogs don't taste the way they used to and neither do the Girl Scout cookies.

The dogs tail just keeps wagging and wagging. Look at the cute tail.

Shopped at Kroger’s today. 2 packages of chicken breast ( 2 breasts per package) a bag of Ruffles, and 2 cans of Alpo (no relation)   $32.00. It’s 16 miles to the store so add $8 in gas. Worms in my yard are looking better everyday. What the heck, didn’t McDonald’s get accused of putting them in burgers.

Oh and if you shop at DollarGeneral you are giving your money to China.  They own Dollar General

38 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Oh and if you shop at DollarGeneral you are giving your money to China.  They own Dollar General

That's not the info I found; DG owned by Dollar General Corp. out of Goodletsville, TN.  Stock is publically traded.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DG/holders

LL

31 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I don't think so.  Not anymore! :angry:

$3.99 here 

43 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That's not the info I found; DG owned by Dollar General Corp. out of Goodletsville, TN.  Stock is publically traded.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DG/holders

LL

Thank you Loophole. However, 40% of all goods are provided by China. This is a conservative estimate   After the family sold out private investment companies bought in on the market. You have to follow the money through to find that most of he profits end up in China. 2004 changed everything. KKR and Co. own Dollar General. If you go deep into investments you will find even more China involvement. The company started in Kentucky and moved to Tennessee before being sold out. Follow the dollar in dollar general. American investors don’t seem to care where their profit comes from. Dig deeper please. 

I want to be wrong and you right. But when I look at the products and brands they sell. All I see is China China China. Then rich Americans boosting this pattern. 

As far as DG goes, if you use a DE razor, check their blades. The ones marked Made in Israel are great!

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Have you priced hotdogs lately? For the price of a pack of hotdogs, you could buy 60 primers, a gallon of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies or 2 tallboy beers.

The hot dogs don't taste the way they used to and neither do the Girl Scout cookies.

The dogs tail just keeps wagging and wagging. Look at the cute tail.

Caliweenie?

8 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

What store did you buy these from? I often resort to using digital coupons to save money but not every store has them on their website.

Snip-it_1646796800404.jpg.59b7f9059233044a946d89538d0630cd.jpg

Since retirement though we have shopped more at Snip-it_1646796878501.jpg.4a73d690a7f60371309593d0102357a5.jpg as they give you cash rewards and their prices are a lot lower. 

Ann goes through the sales flyers for both stores and we shop for the items we need based on which store is cheaper. 

We've also found that the Snip-it_1646796878501.jpg.4a73d690a7f60371309593d0102357a5.jpg brand (SE) has some great tasting items at great prices such as their hash browns and their Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream.

Snip-it_1646797218094.jpg.1aefd8877f53251ef03e10293757f870.jpg

The Missus and I both use the Ibotta app for coupons. I hate apps but love this one.

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

$3.99 here 

$4.09 today 12 gallons = $49.08 

When I was younger I'd know within a dollar or so how much was in my grocery cart. I'm not that careful these days.

Recently I got a few things at Safeway on Friday including about 2 pounds of sliced turkey lunch meat. It was one of their Friday $5 specials, per pound. I thought my total seemed high after it paid. Checked my receipt and was charged $12.99 per pound instead of $5. Got about $15 back.

Going to a monthly match used to be around $50.00 mol.

Monthly match price these days (normal 6 stage match/factory shotgun shells/reloaded pistol and rifle)

24 - Shotgun shells (factory) @ .60 each = $14.40 (if you don't miss any targets)

120 - .38 spl. (bullet only) @ .08 each = $9.60 

120 - Primers @ .12 each = $14.40 ($100.00K + HazMat/Shipping)

120 - Powder drops @ .013 each = $1.56

15 - Pieces of lost .38 brass @ .10 each = $1.50

8 - Gallons of gas @ $4.10 gallon = $32.80 (Insurance/maintenance costs not included)

1 - Match fee @ $15.00 person = $15.00 

Total for a 6 stage monthly match = $89.26

So it's $89.26 for two minutes of shooting. That's .7438 per second.

Therefore, if you want to save money, shoot slower...it'll cost you less money per second. :huh:

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Going to a monthly match used to be around $50.00 mol.

Monthly match price these days (normal 6 stage match/factory shotgun shells/reloaded pistol and rifle)

24 - Shotgun shells (factory) @ .60 each = $14.40 (if you don't miss any targets)

120 - .38 spl. (bullet only) @ .08 each = $9.60 

120 - Primers @ .12 each = $14.40 ($100.00K + HazMat/Shipping)

120 - Powder drops @ .013 each = $1.56

15 - Pieces of lost .38 brass @ .10 each = $1.50

8 - Gallons of gas @ $4.10 gallon = $32.80 (Insurance/maintenance costs not included)

1 - Match fee @ $15.00 person = $15.00 

Total for a 6 stage monthly match = $89.26

So it's $89.26 for two minutes of shooting. That's .7438 per second.

Therefore, if you want to save money, shoot slower...it'll cost you less money per second. :huh:

I'm already slow!

Archived