SASS Wire Forum

Video of Cocking A SXS External Hammer Shotgun

Cholla

Someone, I think @Goody, SASS #26190 posted a video of a SASS member speed opening and cocking an externally hammered shotgun. I thought I had saved it (again) but now I can't find it. Please post it again.

I can remember TBone telling me he was sittin in the back of his shop practising in the early days & an old possum / squrrel hunter came in & showed him that technique..he sure has perfected it  !! I'm sure TBone will correct me if I have that story wrong.

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

There's a video out there somewhere, used to be on Doc Shapiro's site, of Lead Dispencer showing the  "cocking one hammer at a time" method.

That's Badlands Bud.

36 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Probably the most talented shooters I've ever known...I miss shooting with him...

Only had the pleasure of watching him a few times. Never did posse with him, you know how those elite posse's are formed. They surely didn't want the likes of me and my antics on there while they chased a world championship.

1 minute ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Only had the pleasure of watching him a few times. Never did posse with him, you know how those elite posse's are formed. They surely didn't want the likes of me and my antics on there while they chased a world championship.

Yeahyeahyeah...

Here's a story. Bud had EOT won...with like...factory loads and barrowed guns a few years back. Got a shotgun "P" on his last stage (yes, there was a SG sequence), and lost his chance that year.

Talking to him Sunday at the awards and he was so excited to be there. He said how cool is it that this year one of three things is going to happen.

1. The youngest shooter ever will win the overall

2. The first female will win the overall

3. The first foreign shooter will win overall

Savage Sam won.

No crying about his "P"...nothing.

A Champion!

I’m guessing Badlands Bud did it the same way as the two example shown?

16 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I’m guessing Badlands Bud did it the same way as the two example shown?

Nope.

Think of a standard hammerless shucking. While doing so, his thumb is cocking the hammers.

But...Bud was (is), a freak of nature when it comes to talent.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeahyeahyeah...

Here's a story. Bud had EOT won...with like...factory loads and barrowed guns a few years back. Got a shotgun "P" on his last stage (yes, there was a SG sequence), and lost his chance that year.

Talking to him Sunday at the awards and he was so excited to be there. He said how cool is it that this year one of three things is going to happen.

1. The youngest shooter ever will win the overall

2. The first female will win the overall

3. The first foreign shooter will win overall

Savage Sam won.

No crying about his "P"...nothing.

A Champion!

Hey Phantom...Your right about Savage , a terrific young man..I always admired his shooting,unfortunately he is not Cowboy shooting anymore, went thru a big cancer scare..now has a very successful welding / fabrication business, haven't seen him in quite a while but he is spoken about by many who remember his talents.Just on a side note there  may be others but he was the only shooter I saw that when using the  Xdraw rig drew the strongside first.

Congrats on your EOT win..are you still using the BP with no lube ?..Cheers 'Mohawk

Not that I'm the one for anyone to take advice from (Fumble Fingered Officer) but you might try yet another variation.  Open the action and shuck the emptied with your strong hand while grabbing the next shells with your weak hand.  Dump the shells into the chambers then then roll your index finger across the hammers to cock just before closing the action.

I can't do T Bone's method of working the release lever with the thumb of my weak hand.  That thumb was severely damaged during my days as a baseball catcher.  

I have a CZ and even after having an action job done, it still takes concerted effort to cock the hammers. There is no sweeping like I see these guys doing, unless they have the hand strength of Jack Reacher

4 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have a CZ and even after having an action job done, it still takes concerted effort to cock the hammers. There is no sweeping like I see these guys doing, unless they have the hand strength of Jack Reacher

Agree! Have a new CZ.  On the other hand, was able to perform the exercise decently the first time on an unaltered Rossi belonging to a friend.  I'm more interested in the exercise for practical value than for the game, though far more tactically useful shotguns are available, the Miculek model for example.  Comes down to being effective with what is at hand.

For the one hammer at a time method (that I couldn't find the video), assuming right-handed, after opening shotgun normally with right hand thumb and shucking shells, right hand thumb cocks left hammer as left hand is going to belt and bringing shells to gun, then cock right hammer with right thumb as shells are chambered and gun is being closed.  I do it that way and if it was 25 years ago I would be considered pretty fast at it. :)

Archived