SASS Wire Forum

Which kit

Texas Jack Black

Now that EOT is over .I send a congratulations to all who gave it their best. I was wondering how many of the winners were running short stroked rifles   and what generation kit was most used. 

I'd be willing to bet this week's paycheck that it's the number of hours and rounds spent in practice vs. a particular short stroke kit.  

On 3/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Griff said:

I'd be willing to bet this week's paycheck that it's the number of hours and rounds spent in practice vs. a particular short stroke kit.  

Indeed.  However, I stand by my assessment.

33 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Indeed.  However, I stand by my assessment.

Oh I'd say that it's far more likely to be closer to 100% than 90%.

With the Target size and placement it's pretty hard to compete for a championship without a SS rifle.

Possum Skinner is more than likely spot on. 3rd Gens and 4th/5th Gens. Maybe a few cut and weld jobs still out there.

Shotgun Boogie's kits are coming on strong and I know of several pards using the PGW stroke kits, too. I ran my first 73 stock for a while until I got to the point where I knew I needed to upgrade. 

Just an SS kit won't do much for you unless you do some polishing, tuning and springs. I'm not talking about a race gun, but everything has to work together. 

And yeah, I've got two rifles with C&I 3rd Gen kits, they are a pleasure to shoot now.

In a game decided by 100th's of a second an additional movement with your lever of less than an inch counts.

If each stroke added 2 extra 100th's in a given string that would be 2 10th's of a second. over a 12 stage match that works out to 2.4 seconds.

A veritable eternity.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

26 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

In a game decided by 100th's of a second an additional movement with your lever of less than an inch counts.

If each stroke added 2 extra 100th's in a given string that would be 2 10th's of a second. over a 12 stage match that works out to 2.4 seconds.

A veritable eternity.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I'll take your point that an aggregate  of time saved can lead to victory, but someone would have to show me proof of accurate measurement of a hundredth of a second captured, or making a difference outside of a major venue like the .Olympics , TDF. or similar. Timing at shooting events, rocket science it ain't, based on human error alone.

54 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I understand the kits for 73 and 66 rifles, but what are the options for Marlin shooters? Are there any?

Talk to Slick McClade. I don't think he does them anymore but he knows a LOT about Marlins.

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I understand the kits for 73 and 66 rifles, but what are the options for Marlin shooters? Are there any?

Possibly Widder or Marauder can help?

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Not really.  The way the action works on a Marlin, you have to run a shorter round ie 44 Russian vs 44 mag and then limit travel to shorten the stroke.  Also changes the timing, not trivial.   Some smiths will mod individual guns, but no drop in kits that I have been able to find.  Even just getting someone to convert a Marlin is a bit rare. Widder pioneered some mods that help with roll off and how the round feeds into the bolt.  Not hard to do yourself and can make the Marlin quite smooth.  

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I'll take your point that an aggregate  of time saved can lead to victory, but someone would have to show me proof of accurate measurement of a hundredth of a second captured, or making a difference outside of a major venue like the .Olympics , TDF. or similar. Timing at shooting events, rocket science it ain't, based on human error alone.

The question boils down to, does a SS kit in the hands of a better shooter, change the performance of that shooter to make enough difference to justify the use of a SS kit to help make it to the winners circle compared to a non-SS rifle (or handgun for that matter)

As one who has both won and lost 10-12 stage matches by 1 tenth of second or less my answer would be ........ yes.

You do understand that lever throw length is measurable from start to finish in both distance and time. Shorter distance = less time per throw. Less time per throw means an advantage over a longer time per throw on each stage, which adds up. My splits (shot to shot) for a rifle are generally about .3 - .33 seconds. The top guns are about .15 - .2 seconds. Switching to my only factory length rifle my personal splits increase to .4 - .44.

If your argument is that they (SS kits) make no difference compared to factory length throw you would be incorrect.

If your argument is the timers are not accurate enough, given how they function, they are accurate enough. The only real variable is the start of the shooter themself.

While there is always the possibility of error in the form of the shooter jumping the beep, or a shooter beginning the string of fire late, or a loud shot coming from the next bay down adding time to an individual string, in general, shot to shot, the timers we use are accurate enough and do measure to the 100th of a second. Same human error in the Olympics and any other sport would apply.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Archived