SASS Wire Forum

Shall we go back to horses :)

thespaniard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s a bik difference between real 1874 and Hollywood 1874.

15 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Pretty sure my ‘97 and maybe my ‘05 Jeeps are EMP resistant. 

Does that mean they already dont run?? :)

I lived out my horse fantasy years back.  One of God's most beautiful creatures.  A lot of work.  I went a bit overboard and bought all the equipment to do hay, built a shed big enough to store the hay, house the horses and the equipment.  I learned in a hurry ownership is a lot different than renting at a stable.  Bought all the tack for 4 riders, wife and a couple of kids that showed an interest.  Just didn't ride them enough and when I did, they seemed to forget their manners/training and we had a couple mini rodeos.  Horses were getting older, starting to have some health issues, so it was time to sell them.  I kept my saddle and tack but sold the rest last year.  Wife and I talk about getting a couple to put in the pasture out front of the house.  Nothing as pretty to looking out the window to see a couple horses grazing.  If we got more horses I'd have to do a lot of improvements to fences, water tanks, feed bunks, etc.  Still have the lean to they would shelter under.  The shed is full of cars, tractors, trucks and a mini excavator.  I'd never make hay again.  I'd buy it and store it in round bales.

A couple of guys and I were talking the other day about the price of gas, getting to work on a moped or other fuel efficient manner.  I mentioned that the Amish horses my neighbors had were looking better all the time.  It didn't come out right.  But a 6 mile ride to work on a horse just doesn't seem like a good idea.

34 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nope, they run great! :D

Good, i hope they stay that way, I've been a professional tech for 25 years, and jeeps were great when they were still heavily amc influenced, since chrysler cant seem to find anyone that wants to be their friend, quality control, parts shortages, and poor electrical have become the norm.

My boss bought a new ram, the nav screen quit 2 days after delivery,  and the transmission went out at 7000 mile, that truck sa at the dealer for a month and a half because the transmission was on national backorder,  after it was fixed he traded it for a ford.

And he got a big I told you so!

At the end of the day, you park your car or truck and walk away. 
It doesn’t work like that with a horse.

My Subaru only needs to be re-shod about every 4 years.

It never hets sick. 
It won’t bite or kick me.
I don’t need to trailer it.

If it dies, I’m not emotionally attached . I just get anothern. 

;)

In the comancheros, when Stuart Whitman almost lets the horses get foundered, Duke yells at him, "Don't you know anything about horses?"

And he says, "I know all I need to know about horses. When I want a horse the groom brings him to me, and when I'm done with the horse the groom takes it away, and says to me 'thank you Mr Regret'."

That would be me. I'd kinda like to have a horse, but I'd also need a groom to fetch it to me and take it away and feed it and care for it and saddle it, and have it ready for me when I wanted it again.

There's an online story. This guy's got a bunch of cows in a pasture. Got a fence in the middle of the pasture. Let the cows graze on one side 'til the grass gets too low, then runs them through the gate to the other side, and they can eat on that side while the first side grows grass back.

This girl's watching when he comes up to move the cows. Comes up in a pickup truck, got a four-wheeler in the bed. Pulls out a ramp and puts the four-wheeler on the ground, then him and the dog moved the cows. The girl expressed surprise. Said she expected him to have a horse. He patted the four wheeler and said, "This is my horse. This is the best kind of horse. Never tries to bite me, never steps on my foot, and the eight months out of the year I'm not using it I don't have to feed it."

2 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Good, i hope they stay that way, I've been a professional tech for 25 years, and jeeps were great when they were still heavily amc influenced, since chrysler cant seem to find anyone that wants to be their friend, quality control, parts shortages, and poor electrical have become the norm.

My boss bought a new ram, the nav screen quit 2 days after delivery,  and the transmission went out at 7000 mile, that truck sa at the dealer for a month and a half because the transmission was on national backorder,  after it was fixed he traded it for a ford.

I heard those things, but my experience with 5 of them is they’ve been bullet proof reliable. The only complaint I’ve had is the a/c evaporator coils in the dash rotted out in 4 of them, which wasn’t cheap. But that was common to a lot of cars of those vintage. 

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I heard those things, but my experience with 5 of them is they’ve been bullet proof reliable. The only complaint I’ve had is the a/c evaporator coils in the dash rotted out in 4 of them, which wasn’t cheap. But that was common to a lot of cars of those vintage. 

Thats common to anything,  I had a 87 grand wagoneer, wasn't much that stopped it other than the gas station, and the front seats didnt recline

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There’s a bik difference between real 1874 and Hollywood 1874.

True Enough, I would still like to go back and give a try anyway. 

I would likely get myself killed inside a week...but who wants to live forever.

18 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

I love Jeeps but I recognize the need for ongoing maintenance after 125 to 150K miles. I've always had a Jeep of some kind... mostly impractical except for when I am I in the Colorado Rockies where this thing shines.

Alas... my next Jeep will be a Toyota.

Unless the EMPs happen then my next Jeep will be a sorrel or buckskin or palomino. :D

On 3/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, Dantankerous said:

While it's easy to romanticize the Old West from where we are today I am betting those living then thought life was the proverbial B.

They just didn’t know anything different. Just as we don’t. I’m sure 100 years from now people will wonder how we put up with life’s inconveniences . If we haven’t exterminated ourselves by then 

17 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’d have been dead by the age of six. 

And chamber pots notwithstanding, using an outhouse in the winter and snow really sucks. Been there, done that. 

My great uncle used to keep the seat in the house to ease the transition in the winter months 

18 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’d have been dead by the age of six. 

And chamber pots notwithstanding, using an outhouse in the winter and snow really sucks. Been there, done that. 

Double digit below zero on the North Shore of Superior, the outhouse rendered completely comfortable by a sheet of Styrofoam insulation cut to size and fitted over the seat cut with the proper opening.  No temperature shock.  Must have if you still use an outhouse.

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Does the extra $30 represent the cost of "packaging" into squares? Seems cheap, but I don't know how many squares that is.

Depending on the size, big squares are a thousand pounds, more or less. Small squares, rectangles actually, are maybe sixty pounds or so.

15 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Ouch!  Was just wondering if care of a horse would be more or less than buying gasoline???

The Quarters I had? Probably breaking even right now if not cheaper cause we had land to graze.

The fancypants Arabian show horses my neighbor had? Gas is still cheap. Hell, trucks are still cheap compared to Arabian show critters. 

:D

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, Cholla said:

Having been on some unintentional 8-second rides, no thanks. You do not have total control of a horse. One hornet sting and off you go. Have a mare in heat and she doesn't care what you want to do if she sees a male horse. Being dragged to death, no thanks. Picking up horse apples and dealing with hordes of flies, no thanks. Being kicked, stomped, or bit, no thanks. Even when they are playful they can inflict fatal injuries. I had a teenage friend get kicked and died. I had one kick at me when I had my back turned when I was working for a dude ranch. One moment all was great, the next second I had flying rear hooves on both sides of my head. The horse was normally gentle and used for dudes to ride nice and easy. Four inches either way and I would have been dead 35 years ago with a broken neck and crushed skull.

This is exactly why so many folk prefer mules

Archived