SASS Wire Forum

Shall we go back to horses :)

thespaniard

Considering my love for all things old west and cowboy lifestyle my wife jokes with me that I was born in the right country and state, but in the wrong century :D I wish I was born in 1874 one year after  the Peacemaker was introduced.
Now with the warfare in Ukraine and the oil prices going so high I was thinking should we get back into horses for transportation like the ole timers used to do :)

i cannot drop my Jeep Wrangler because it’s a gas guzzler  and get into a Prius as where will my kids sit and where will I put the gun cart :rolleyes: and my guns ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, thespaniard said:

I wish I was born in 1874

Careful what you wish for. Your life expectancy would be half what it is now, and your wife in worse shape because of childbirth risks. 

And a good number of kids don’t reach age 5. 

Headache? Wait until 1897 when aspirin is invented

Stomach ache? Wait until 1927 when antacids are invented

Pain? You're in luck. Opioids abound!

Leading causes of death - Consumption, Pneumonia, Diarrhea, and heart disease.

1854 So I would be the right age when the 1872 Open-Tops came out... And I might even try a SSA. Later in life ...

A 1866 in .44 Central Fire, same round in my Open-Tops

Jabez Cowboy

Back in those days folks often "Up and died." My Great Grandfather was an Engineer in New England.  He kept horses till the the turn of the Century when the Stanley Steamer was available.  He felt that was the only well engineered automobile.  Not sure when he passed on, but I believe it was his only motor vehicle and he drove it till the end.

46 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

A 1866 in .44 Central Fire, same round in my Open-Tops

The 66 was 44 rimfire. The 73 was 44 Central fire.

I have worked on 7 Original 66s that were and are chambered for .44 central fire including 3 guns with double firing pins that will fire the Henry Flat as well as the cartridge in question. These guns have been discussed on the wire at great lenght in the past. Remember they did Not just stop making the 66 because the 73 came out ...

As an aside the .44 caliber chambered in the 73 was the .44 WCF, AKA; the 44-40, it was also chambered for .38 WCF and others including .22 Rimfire.

Jabez Cowboy 

Having been on some unintentional 8-second rides, no thanks. You do not have total control of a horse. One hornet sting and off you go. Have a mare in heat and she doesn't care what you want to do if she sees a male horse. Being dragged to death, no thanks. Picking up horse apples and dealing with hordes of flies, no thanks. Being kicked, stomped, or bit, no thanks. Even when they are playful they can inflict fatal injuries. I had a teenage friend get kicked and died. I had one kick at me when I had my back turned when I was working for a dude ranch. One moment all was great, the next second I had flying rear hooves on both sides of my head. The horse was normally gentle and used for dudes to ride nice and easy. Four inches either way and I would have been dead 35 years ago with a broken neck and crushed skull.

Yup! And you can die stepping out of the bathtub.  Knew a guy hurt badly coming off an entirely bulletproof trail horse because a Slicker tied behind the saddle flapped in the wind.  Something the horse had never experienced.  I had intended to have horses on the ranch, age caught up and I couldn't ride them enough.  Loose horses add cost without value, but I still miss riding, and my place is just about designed for horses.  Missed opportunity I regret.

12 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Yup! And you can die stepping out of the bathtub.

At least I wouldn't smell like a horse and would die clean. I would hate dying on a Saturday though.:o

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

At least I wouldn't smell like a horse and would die clean. I would hate dying on a Saturday though.:o

I wouldn't pick Eau de Horse as an after shave as I would Hoppes #9,if available,  but there are a lot of folks walking around smelling a whole lot worse than Horse!

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Hot and cold running water ?

Electricity ?

Flushing toilets ?

Radio and television ?

Computers and internet ?

................. girls in bikinis ...... :(

Electric refrigerators and gas kitchen stoves.

so many good reasons not to go to the horse [if your a liberal] and so many good reasons why to rid yourself of that gas guzzling wrangler [if your a liberal] and so many just plain good reasons not to get up in the morning and live your life [if your a liberal] 

i hear it all , i argue it all , i do not understand why anyone might feed into that negative thinking - get up in the morning , drive our jeep , complain if your not happy but look to be happy every day , life is short unless your living in an oppressed or war torn country - then it can seem really endlessly bad , we are not there and dont need to be 

13 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have worked on 7 Original 66s that were and are chambered for .44 central fire including 3 guns with double firing pins that will fire the Henry Flat as well as the cartridge in question. These guns have been discussed on the wire at great lenght in the past. Remember they did Not just stop making the 66 because the 73 came out ...

As an aside the .44 caliber chambered in the 73 was the .44 WCF, AKA; the 44-40, it was also chambered for .38 WCF and others including .22 Rimfire.

Jabez Cowboy 

There's a gun shop close by that had an original Winchester 66 he said was in .44-40. I told him it was not and he said he was going to check it out. It turns out he was right! His gunsmith verified it was a rare one in .44-40 central fire. I never knew that and man did the price go up on that!!

While I love horses, miss owning and riding horses, my current HOA would frown on me keeping them in the backyard. :o

I'd prefer an EMP resistant old 4x4.

17 hours ago, thespaniard said:

cannot drop my Jeep Wrangler because it’s a gas guzzler  and get into a Prius as where will my kids sit and where will I put the gun cart :rolleyes: and my guns

A neighbor of mine has a Prius, it's a hatchback and I was surprised at the room in that thing with the seats down. He gets about 50+ mpg. The gas engine kicks in at 35 mph or something around there. When the gas engine is running it recharges the battery. It's actually a pretty cool vehicle.;)

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I wouldn't pick Eau de Horse as an after shave as I would Hoppes #9,if available,  but there are a lot of folks walking around smelling a whole lot worse than Horse!

I was 16 and my first girlfriend was visiting the house. We were in the garage with my dad, which is also where he cleaned his guns and did reloading. 

Out of the blue he grabbed a bottle of Hoppes #9, handed it to Tonya, and told her to dab it behind her ears if she really wanted to get me “going”.

Dad and I thought it was hilarious. She about killed us both. 

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

A little off but, in 1917 the average life expectancy was 45.  All kinds of reasons why, just no medical care to extend it.

Average life span though is not a great statistic as the infant mortality rate really drives the average down.    Not to brag because I couldn't do it , one of my son's lived in a cabin that he built in Vermont for SIX years without running water or electricity.  His wife had 3 babies in the bathtub.  They finally moved into a regular house but still grow their own vegetables.

While it's easy to romanticize the Old West from where we are today I am betting those living then thought life was the proverbial B.

Saddling up for a trip to town (~16 miles each way) just isn't practical, and the nearest CAS event is more than twice that far. Giving this some thought a few years ago, I ended up buying a new 2017 Honda Fit. At 6'4", there's still plenty of head & shoulder room, and although the seat has to be all the way back, it's quite comfortable enough to drive long distances. My gun cart fits in the back without breaking it down, with plenty of room for guns, ammo, gear, & range bag. The seats fold down flat providing sufficient room to stretch out and sleep in it, if necessary, and it gets ~42 mpg in the summer months, dropping off to 38 or so in the colder winter months. My best mileage between fill ups has been 47.1 mpg/430 miles out of a tank one time, leaving about 1.5 gal/70 miles to go still. :)

As a born/raised/current "city boy" (or very near urban "suburban boy"),  I'll admit I don't know much about horses....

But having a horse is one of my ridiculous fantasies.   A motor vehicle just isn't your buddy the way a horse is.   My feeling is that we (the human race) really lost something when we went from horses to cars.   Granted, we gained a lot more than we lost - but we lost something viceral.

As to being born back then, if I were born in 1870 odds are I would have died in 1885 when my appendix burst.   If not earlier from 1000 other things that were trying to kill you.    So I personally wouldn't have made it back then - but it sure is fun to fanaticize about.

35 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Saddling up for a trip to town (~16 miles each way) just isn't practical, and the nearest CAS event is more than twice that far. Giving this some thought a few years ago, I ended up buying a new 2017 Honda Fit. At 6'4", there's still plenty of head & shoulder room, and although the seat has to be all the way back, it's quite comfortable enough to drive long distances. My gun cart fits in the back without breaking it down, with plenty of room for guns, ammo, gear, & range bag. The seats fold down flat providing sufficient room to stretch out and sleep in it, if necessary, and it gets ~42 mpg in the summer months, dropping off to 38 or so in the colder winter months. My best mileage between fill ups has been 47.1 mpg/430 miles out of a tank one time, leaving about 1.5 gal/70 miles to go still. :)

The Amish do it all the time, both in PA and out here.  Seems to work.  Up state NY years ago there was an old bachelor farmer who did everything with horse power.

There is someone here that I run across with a 42 MPG (or similar) License plate.  He is apparently obsessed with mileage and is usually well under the speed limit.  Most unpleasant to get caught behind him in my old Pickup, since it is not a great vehicle for passing.  Either of the other cars, a fleeting memory.

Obviously it can work, but spending the better part of a day harnessing a horse & buggy for a 32 mile round trip @ six or eight MPH, feeding & watering it for the return trip, unharnessing, giving it a rub down, and putting everything away as opposed to getting in a car, going to town, and being back 45 minutes later takes all practicality out of it. 

Archived