SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Matthew Duncan

Young Lady travels a long distance to attend a State Match.  The day of the match she discovers she forgot her match foot attire.  The only footwear she has the is the colorful mocks that she wore while traveling to the match.   She brought her dilemma to the attention of her Posse Leader questioning if she is disqualified from participating.  Posse Leader determined that the mocks would give her no competitive advantage and declared the mocks were authentic Navajo moccasins thereby allowing her to compete. 

P.S.  Posse Leader was me.

169942646_ScreenShot2022-03-07at8_47_33AM.png.66c489e285a3493307729f8f6f9031dd.png

Good Call

I don't know about the official call, but I like your attitude and decision.

There are just some things in life we shouldn't fret over and I think you handled it well.

..........Widder

It may not be “by the book”, but she wasn’t looking to gain an advantage, and she already felt horrible about a possible MDQ, so you saved her day, and kept a fellow member staying in the sport too.  
I think everyone has had an “oops forgot that moment”.   So I’m thinkin’ Crocs owe royalties to the Navajo tribe now, right?  

Page 4 of the SHB under “Outlawed Items”, states “All types of athletic shoes, or combat boots, no matter what material from which they are constructed.”  They don’t appear to be “athletic shoes or combat boots,” so not outlawed.

On page 2 of the SHB under “Clothing and accoutrements” it states, “…all clothing must be typical of the late 19th Century a, B-Western movie or Western television series.”

While the shoes may not be what is desired, unless shooting in a category that requires “boots”, the call was appropriate.

We can split hairs and question whether “clothing” includes footwear, but the circumstances justified the approval.

Hopefully no body would complain. How often does anyone squawk about SG belts being worn above the BB. I think the call was appropriate. Sometimes we just need to accommodate a participant. After all we're not taking home a Cadillac here, unless we arrived in one.

I like the spirit of the call, but it sets a bad precedence.  OP says it's a State match.  What if a cowboy only brought short sleeve shirts or a B-Western shooter only had a straw hat?  What if this person won their category wearing those crocs, how would the others in that category feel?  

The footwear is clearly no where near 'cowboy'.

I would bet there were some grumbling and complaining in private about this decision to allow it.  Sometimes tough calls are hard to make, but a run to Wal-mart could have fixed this.  

Totes

I’d be inclined to allow them the first day, in an “emergency “ basis, but she ought to go get a pair of proper footwear for subsequent days. Or shoot barefooted! 

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

And if a competitor in her same category complained how would that change your call?

It would not have changed my call.

I had advised her send anyone that complained to me.  No one came.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’d be inclined to allow them the first day, in an “emergency “ basis, but she ought to go get a pair of proper footwear for subsequent days. Or shoot barefooted! 

Yeah, like Half a Hand Henri!

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We're shoes required in her category? 

OLG 

Her category did not require shoes.  The sharp stone walkways and splinter prone board walks did.

First thing, at a state level match or above I believe a posse Marshall should not have gotten involved and deferred the matter to the match director to make the call. 

For the past several years a pard shoots at the WV State Match in bib overalls, an engineer's hat, and he is bare foot.

This past year a lady also shot bare foot.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

In the final analysis, did it matter?  Was it an advantage or was the question even moot?  These kinds of pettifogging issues just drive me crazier!

Yes it does matter.

Accomodation is wonderful, but...

We are an ORGANIZED sport/ game/ activity - whatever you want to call it.

The people paying their entry fee to an annual event did so with an expectation of universal adherence and enforcement of rules.

If rules are allowed to be disregarded or ignored for reasons outside medical necessity - you compromise the game and any integrity the scores/ championships or accolades may hold.

I'm not saying to tell the young lady to go home - offer her EVERY opportunity and assistance to rectify her situation (borrow {announce a need at the shooters meeting - someone has an extra pair}, purchase {Wal-Marts are plentiful}, if she is financially unable - offer her my credit card to purchase) so she may compete on equal footing (shoewear pun) with the others who are in compliance with the rules.

These assistances include letting her shoot/ flow through if her actions delay her starting with her posse - but the rules; equipment, ammo, attire, etc. have to be honored or we are no longer an organized event - but just a bunch of people dressed funny with old guns.

17 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes it does matter.

Accomodation is wonderful, but...

We are an ORGANIZED sport/ game/ activity - whatever you want to call it.

The people paying their entry fee to an annual event did so with an expectation of universal adherence and enforcement of rules.

If rules are allowed to be disregarded or ignored for reasons outside medical necessity - you compromise the game and any integrity the scores/ championships or accolades may hold.

I'm not saying to tell the young lady to go home - offer her EVERY opportunity and assistance to rectify her situation (borrow {announce a need at the shooters meeting - someone has an extra pair}, purchase {Wal-Marts are plentiful}, if she is financially unable - offer her my credit card to purchase) so she may compete on equal footing (shoewear pun) with the others who are in compliance with the rules.

These assistances include letting her shoot/ flow through if her actions delay her starting with her posse - but the rules; equipment, ammo, attire, etc. have to be honored or we are no longer an organized event - but just a bunch of people dressed funny with old guns.

Bingo!

Way back when we first got started my then 13 or 14 year old son forgot his boots while shooting in the SE Regional. Our solution was for him to put my boots on when it was time for him to shoot and then we switched back when I shot. I wore a size 12 and he was  in a much smaller pair of Vans that only about half of my foot would go in but it satisfied the officials and we went to Wally World that evening.

If one is going to throw away the rule book, then they may as well throw away the timer and the score sheets since the event is no longer a competition.

If all you wanna do is "Play" cowboy, why join SASS?

Phantom

PS: Creeker is much better with words :P

Archived