SASS Wire Forum

Two thoughts on Girl Scout Cookies

Alpo

Uno - would you buy from a Girl Scout that was not in uniform?

While leaving the store, out of the corner of my eye I saw a couple of girls over behind a pillar who appeared to be 11 or 12 years old. I didn't think anything about it, and went on to my truck. As I was leaving the parking lot I drove by them. There were three girls, not two. There was a folding table with a green tablecloth blowing in the breeze. It had something written on it but I could not see because of the wind, but I suspect it said GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, or possibly Girl Scouts of America, or maybe even something like Troop 22 Girl Scouts of America.

The table has stacks of colored boxes, which I presume were Girl Scout Cookies.

None of the three girls was wearing a uniform. I have seen people selling in pieces of the uniform - the beret, or maybe a sash or a vest. But something. Not these three.

B - in the store I saw this. I wasn't sure who should be the first to sue - the Girl Scouts, or Nabisco (the triangle in the left upper corner of the box certainly looks like their logo at first glance). But it seems like someone has a case.

IMG_20220306_112659907.thumb.jpg.b48c2c1bbe606c25769222e50619655d.jpg

I'd have to say that if they don't care enough to dress in uniform, I'm not going to care enough to buy their overly expensive cookies.

When I was in the Boy Scouts, (many MANY years ago), whenever we were fundraising, we were required to be in uniform. Of course in those days, people respected a uniform, even if it WAS only the Boy Scouts.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'd have to say that if they don't care enough to dress in uniform, I'm not going to care enough to buy their overly expensive cookies.

When I was in the Boy Scouts, (many MANY years ago), whenever we were fundraising, we were required to be in uniform. Of course in those days, people respected a uniform, even if it WAS only the Boy Scouts.

It depends a lot on the weather and if the proper uniform allows for cold weather attire.   For me it also depends on how cute the little girls are.  I've never been able to tell them "no", and many times after making several stops at different stores, I've ended up at home with six or eight boxes of cookies--all half eaten after the drive.  

12 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

When I was in the Boy Scouts, (many MANY years ago), whenever we were fundraising, we were required to be in uniform.

That was my thought.

I sold World's Best chocolate bars for the Boy Scouts, and Turtles chocolates for the high school band. Both times I was in uniform.

As I  drove into a gas station recently I saw a couple of I assume grandparents wearing colorful leis and hats with brightly colored signs selling girl scout cookies. No girl scout in sight. Still no granddaughter girl scout when I left.

I've alway hated it when one girl scout gets out there on her own, hustling selling the cookies, and another girl who does virtually nothing gets the credit for all the cookies her family sells.

I was a scout leader in Boy Scouts for my son. My wife was a den leader. When it came time for my daughter to join scouting, she tried to get into Girl Scouts. The local leaders claimed they didn't have enough leaders to have another girl. I offered to be a leader so my daughter could join. They wouldn't allow it because of my gender. Their policy was no males as leaders, yet Boy Scouts allowed females as leaders. I even went to the state headquarters and explained the situation. I was not going to be alone with the girls as there was always going to be another female leader. In the meantime I was reading what my daughter would need to do to advance through the ranks. Everything was based on selling cookies. My daughter wanted to do the scouting stuff like hiking, camping, nature, etc. That was no longer part of the girl scout program. It was all about sales. After road block after road block we both gave up and when she got old enough I got her into the Boy Scouts Venture Crew program.

So, it is a rare thing for me to buy cookies.

I buy Girl Scout cookies. I don’t care if the girls are in uniform or not. Some girls can’t afford the official uniforms so they make do with a sash or beret. These aren’t A.J. Squared Away military folks. They’re kids, for crying out loud. 
Also, I don’t care what the cookies cost. It’s not the girl’s fault that the prices are high. I buy them to support the girls. Just like I buy that crummy popcorn the Boy Scouts sell. It’s not about the product so much as it is to support the kids. 

What @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 sez.

I've worked with Scouts quite a bit, and make it a point to encourage leaders to keep in mind a kid's family's financial abilities. 

After an Eagle Scout Board of Review a few years ago we presented the Scout an official Eagle Neckerchief.  He had no clue how to wear it.  His troop (a Hispanic troop chartered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) was comprised of boys from severely economically challenged families.  Proud, hard-working folk, but none had ever been able to afford neckerchiefs.  He was the Troop's first ever Eagle.

The young man had tears running down his cheeks.  He wasn't the only one...

Conversely, I knew a Scoutmaster who was saddened because he "had to" eject a Scout from his Troop for not wearing official socks.  :(

I still buy Girl Scout cookies, even though my daughter has been out for 6 years or so. I prefer if they have a full uniform on, or at least the beret and sash, otherwise it seems they aren't taking it serious. My daughter's troop required it and, and so did my son's Boy Scout Troop when they were selling popcorn.

Cholla: Not sure what happened to you, but I was a registered Girl Scout for the 5 years my daughter was in, it was required if I wanted to help out at the events. I was also the Cookie Chairman for 2 years, and it was a lot of work. Had to keep track of every box, musta had 20 cases of the things in my living for weeks at a time room 2 years in a row. Had to keep good track of what sold as once picked up from the Distribution Center as only full cases were returnable, and only for a limited time. Had to deposit the money at the bank, using only the official paperwork. Cookie sales are a serious business for the Girl Scouts.

Been thru it all. Wife was cookie chairman some years with our girls. They are now in their early 50s. One daughter years back was chairman for her daughters' troop.

I took my girls to work to sell cookies to my partners, and then my granddaughters. They all did the same with theirs. We all bought a lot of each others' kids cookies.

I buy a few still.

We only buy Girl Scout cookies if they are made from real Girl Scouts.
My wife was a leader for many years... nowadays we just donate and don't take the cookies.
She doesn't need the calories... I don't need the sugar.

If the kids are selling them,  it dont matter so much, but around here its mom or dad asking if you'll buy the cookies, not the kids doing the work,  and then the answer is always no, dont need any.

19 hours ago, Cholla said:

I was a scout leader in Boy Scouts for my son. My wife was a den leader. When it came time for my daughter to join scouting, she tried to get into Girl Scouts. The local leaders claimed they didn't have enough leaders to have another girl. I offered to be a leader so my daughter could join. They wouldn't allow it because of my gender. Their policy was no males as leaders, yet Boy Scouts allowed females as leaders. I even went to the state headquarters and explained the situation. I was not going to be alone with the girls as there was always going to be another female leader. In the meantime I was reading what my daughter would need to do to advance through the ranks. Everything was based on selling cookies. My daughter wanted to do the scouting stuff like hiking, camping, nature, etc. That was no longer part of the girl scout program. It was all about sales. After road block after road block we both gave up and when she got old enough I got her into the Boy Scouts Venture Crew program.

So, it is a rare thing for me to buy cookies.

My dad was a girl scout leader back in the '60's.  My sister and her friends wanted to be scouts but didn't want to do the "regular" girl scout stuff.  They wanted to go camping and hiking and typical "boy scout" type things.  So my dad, an Eagle Scout, started up a girl scout troop for them.  I don't recall any complaints about a man running a group of girl scouts.  Later he was Scout Master for me and my brother.  For as long as I can remember he was a merit badge counselor for the Bicycle merit badge.  Once or twice a year we'd have a boy scout from some local troop bring his bicycle into our living room to discuss the badge.

Angus

my two thoughts are they are way too expensive and do not last long enough , if the girls were getting all the cash i might think [twice] on that first one , i like the thin mints and im not one to turn away a young person with a good pitch , or sad eyes , or looking in need of help , so i buy 

im just sayin that logic says we should donate direct rather than buy cookies 

21 hours ago, bgavin said:

We only buy Girl Scout cookies if they are made from real Girl Scouts.
My wife was a leader for many years... nowadays we just donate and don't take the cookies.
She doesn't need the calories... I don't need the sugar.

Girl scouts made cookies??? Surely you jest!

One of the guys at work had 5 little girls spread out over about 15 years.  His cubicle was Girl Scout cookie central during cookie season.  Nothing like a reliable source.  Since my retirement, the Girl Scout cookie supply has been hit and miss.

I might have a hit put on me for saying this, but... Girl Scout Cookies are a MUCH better deal than Boy Scout Popcorn.   :ph34r:

Scouting is under full scale assault by the left.  The days when a Girl Scout would come to your door are also pretty much gone with the worries about their safety these days.  When I see a Girl or Boy Scout stand I donate money but do not take the cookies or candy as I am too fat.  I hope they survive a few more years but times are changing and I think they are doomed.  In order to try and stay afloat the Boy Scouts now allow girls to join.

All I know is the boxes, the cookies and the amount in the boxes have shrunk. Thin mints taste like flavored cardboard. There is a thin layer of some sort of brown goop on the peanut butter cookies.  Not the same product as when my daughters sold them!

I buy Keebler. Those little elves are much better.

Grasshoppers taste just like Thin Mints, have more in the package, and cost $2.47. And quite frequently there will be a BOGO going on, which makes them a buck and a quarter a box.

Not All States Get the Same Version of Girl Scout Cookies. Here’s What You Should Know
Are you Team Tagalongs or Peanut Butter Patties posse?

<quote>

Yes, your beloved Thin Mints are not the same. That’s because Girl Scout cookies are actually made by two different bakeries, ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers (LBB), which have their own cookie recipes, cookie flavor names, and even cookie box design. Take a minute for this to sink in.

<end quote>

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Girl scouts made cookies??? Surely you jest!

Not made "by" Girl Scouts but made "from" (ground up) Girl Scouts...
:D

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I might have a hit put on me for saying this, but... Girl Scout Cookies are a MUCH better deal than Boy Scout Popcorn.   :ph34r:

............... you can hide at my place if you need to .........  :ph34r:

...... bring cookies ....

My problem is, I have THREE granddaughters in Girl Scouts, and to be fair, I buy the damn things from each of them!

They freeze well, and last all year!

...the cookies, not my granddaughters!:blink:

12 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

One of the guys at work had 5 little girls spread out over about 15 years.  His cubicle was Girl Scout cookie central during cookie season.  Nothing like a reliable source.  Since my retirement, the Girl Scout cookie supply has been hit and miss.

At the supermarkets around here there are more Girl scout cookie salespeople than grocery carts. :)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived