SASS Wire Forum

G'day Folks

G'day folks,

new member to the forum and potentially the SASS community. Thought the polite and friendly thing to do is introduce myself.

No doubt you have already figured out that I'm an Aussie! Currently living in Sth East Queensland (the best state of course) , east coast of Australia. I retired from the military in 2020 after 40yrs of service. Have always been a lover of firearms, pretty much a given that I was a bush kid! Grew up on a small property in far north Queensland and was always hunting and shooting as a kid.

So, stepping into the civilian realm was always going to be a shock to the system. I'd spent the better part of the last 13yrs of my service living interstate, working away from the family, but I'd kept my involvement in firearms slowly rolling along. My trade in the military was aircraft ordnance and EOD, so it's in my blood and a given as to what my life would involve.

Upon discharge I dove head first back into shooting sports. I pestered my wife to join me also. Whilst she had a rifle license, to help with my historical re-enactment passion, she rarely shot. So I got her into pistol shooting and man did I open Pandora's box!

Well, the love of my life had seen a Single Action competition and began pestering me for us both to go and try it. Well the bug bit hard and we've been members of the Dalby Pioneers for the past 2yrs. Its a great social group out there. Everyone in the club is helpful, welcoming and always ready to have a friendly dig.

We started shooting age category with a 2nd hand setup (pair 4.75" Ruger SS Blackhawk 357's, Rossi Mod92 357 & Miroku 12ga). Didn't take long before money was flying hell-west & crooked! I currently run a SS Ruger 5.5" vaquero 45Colt (using 45Schoffield brass) & a 4.75" Byron engraved Ruger Vaquero 45Colt (also 45Schoffield brass), a worked Uberti 1873 Competition in 45Colt and a Armadeo Rossi 12ga hammer gun. I've also added a Pedersoli Mississippi Rolling block 38-55 and a Pedersoli 1885 HiWall 45-70 for the side matches.

My wife (Miss Firing) has a brand new pair of Ruger Super Six SS Vaquero 32H&R mags (pick them up in a week or two), an engraved Uberti 1866 Yellowboy 38Spl and the Miroku SxS. She also has an 1897 Winchester Mod 92 in 44-40 with Tang Peep and a Winchester Mod 94 Chief Crazy Horse 38-55 for side matches.

I transitioned to shooting Duellist style about 6mths ago and am enjoying it. But I do need to replace my Byron Special 4.75" Vaquero for another SS 5.5" Vaquero 45Colt, so that I have a matching pair of guns to aid consistency in handling etc. I'm also planning on replacing the Armadeo with a Huglu Hammer gun in the coming months. As I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to firearms, I'm looking to set myself up with a complete rig for B-Western. I'm not that keen on chasing 'sheep stations' as we say here, as I'm more into the enjoyment and personal achievement aspects these days. Therefore I will be trawling the forums here researching the pros/cons of Marlins/Henry's in 357/44 cals for use in B-Western. I'll be using the pair of Ruger SS 4.75" Blackhawks and trying to source an SKB single trigger 12ga.

Miss Firing is beginning to transition to Duellist style as she wants to try something different & there isn't many ladies shooting duellist or gunfighter in the area. The Birdshead Super Sixes are a necessity for her as she has small hands and struggles with cocking the hammers of the Blackhawks (both have Ruger Super Redhawk wide/low hammers fitted) one handed. Plus these revolvers are heavy compared to the 32H&R Vaqueros.

So that's us in a nutshell so to speak. Looking forward to future interaction with the community here and drawing on the vast experiential knowledge base.

Cheers

Blaster Mike & Miss Firing

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

I’ve acquired several Aussie friends over the years and am glad of it!!  

There are only two important rules in CAS!!  

1: Be safe

2: Have fun

The rest is mostly inconsequential!!

Welcome always glad to see another man from down under. :D Check out our Vets site. We have yanks, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and even a few Canadians. :) C’mon and sign up. It’s free and we want to see yore fuzzy faced recruit pics. 

https://sassvets.homestead.com/Info.html

Miss Firing. :) That's a slick alias.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot use a Henry in B Western.

Or do you mean a "Henry rifle company out of New York big boy"? I saw Henry I thought "1860 Henry from New Haven Arms".

Welcome aboard ,

Just what Blackwater said and dont get caught up in the Competition game . enjoy it for the hobby  You dont need the most expensive add ones ect , Most Cowboys didnt . That being said I dont do Comp shooting anymore . I prefer to spend the day up in the Mountains shooting as I like . run a few tactical drills and do breakfast and lunch out there 

Military here also 6 years US Marines 2 trips to Beirut , 2/5 STA and  1Recon Aco. then got out went back Army in 2004 worked mostly in ODA's ect 160 SOAR and AWG deployed 8 more times 

Might check out  the Ruger wranglers for wife smaller frame light ect 

And never ever take a gun Buying course from me as I am up to 12 this year 

And most important FNG buys the round 

Just so you know, this is a Foster’s free Saloon. :lol:

Welcome!  I've known a number of Aussies and have yet to find one I didn't like.  If you're going B-Western, you can do a Hollywood Henry and just take the forend off your rossi and plate or paint the receiver brass...BW category doesn't let you use a 1860 Henry. I think the modern Henry big boy is legal, but you're probably better off with the 92.  Best gun for the category is probably a real Winchester 92 or a Marlin.  

Cheers for the welcomes folks.

UtahBob, appreciate the invite to the SASSVets group mate. Have enlisted and sent through some pics.

Just saw the  extra posts/welcomes, thanks one & all.

alpo, yeah, modern BigBoy side load Henry. But have done a little research this past couple of days and it seems the modern Henry's are not very popular with the SASS scene. I do have a SS Rossi 92 357, that just needs a fair bit more slicking up. The MFW&F, was using it prior to getting her Yellowboy and was always complaining about feed issues. Kept telling her to treat it like she stole it! Well that fell on deaf ears, LOL!

At the Chisolm Trail comp last year, I gave up after 2 stages and gave her my 1873 to 'keep the peace & harmony' and run the Rossi to prove a point. Only had 2 feed issues in 10stages, both of which were my fault due to short stroking. Still remind her from time to time........ then I duck before something hard comes flying my way!!! LOL!

I'll primarily shoot Duellist with the 45's but on the odd occasion I'll switch to B-Western for fun and a change. I like Marlins and have an 1894 44Mag but it's only a 7rd. So I'm trying to track down a Marlin Cowboy 10shot. Is the 'Marlin slap' issue still a thing with these guns? I had that problem with a Trapper 16" 357 and it would jam up feeding due to a worn track in the lifter. Additionally, is it worth it short stroking a Marlin?

PowerRiver, hey Brother, thanks for the welcome. Had the honour to serve with and work with US personnel over the course of my career, especially during multiple tours to Afghanistan and MEAO. great blokes, friendly and always ready to have your back in any/every situation. The degree of comradery and patriotism you guys live and breathe is absolutely outstanding. I wish it was more evident in our wider forces.

Hey, it might be the other way round re the 'gun buying course' LOL! I've already bought 4 firearms since mid Jan, with another 6-8 planned in the coming 2-3mths. Thankfully I bought another 25gun safe mid 2021. Just need to remove two smaller ones in the gun room and install the bigger one. 

Cheers Bear, saw that just a minute ago. Looking to update my profile and fix that. Who'd want to be stuck in DrewDanistan gulag under communist rule!!!

Fosters, not a snowball's chance in hell! We ship that crud OS for all the unwary to drink!!! LOL!

I'm more of a Scotch, Bourbon type. Though I have been know to take part in a few good ales and some ciders! Oh and enjoy a good port with a nice coffee also.

I know you're after a SKB, but I bought one of these Huglu CZ's (made in Turkey) a few weeks ago and used it in two matches so far and really like it. Love shooting a hammered shotgun.

1809439839_SNY01955copy.thumb.jpg.8f5cf3428e575a6d56a046bd6e0bb34f.jpg

75175531_SNY01958copy.thumb.jpg.a553e059dd03bf445d20a2d80a86a9e4.jpg

487441640_SNY01959copy.thumb.jpg.76ab98569bf1b9c8fee1eae898bade3f.jpg

1974445729_SNY01960copy.thumb.jpg.1cfebe41b94c6c467b0ec47931e2ee3d.jpg

517831615_SNY01961copy.thumb.jpg.652877c8b5106ec7ca71d4632dbb0314.jpg

1388287249_SNY01962copy.thumb.jpg.5d84880c22ebaa671d8b21a508c53335.jpg

1917316245_SNY01964copy.thumb.jpg.9b68466ead6de426cc96db611fe5d933.jpg

816867952_SNY01965copy.thumb.jpg.45a699c685d55cc13e62a34f7ac9efb5.jpg

637107945_SNY01966copy.thumb.jpg.ae5ad9117172c5acf3cc88788322251e.jpg

222.JPG.6a31a35544a98bde0de0864b76bae6f5.JPG

Maaattteeee! hat is one dammed sexy hammer gun!! Givin' me a woody!!!! Very very jealous!

Can't get over how much those guns have skyrocketed in price this past year. I looked at them in early 2020 and they were around the $800 locally. Last one I saw was at Busters (Noose SA supplies) a couple weeks ago, $1300!!!

The plan is to replace my Armadeo Rossi with one of those Huglu's later this year. The Armadeo will be relegated to backup gun and spare for anyone who needs it. My rig for Duellist will be the pair of 45 Vaquero 5.5", the 1873 45Colt and the Huglu.

the BW rig will be the SS Ruger BHawk 357's (both have been slicked, Ruger Redhawk low/wide hammers, free spin kit etc), most likely a Marlin Cowboy 357 and the SKB single trigger.

Will also be lloking to buy an H&R Handi in 45-70 as backup to the Mississippi Rolling Block.

Howdy Blaster, wondered if you would venture onto this site, great lot of people & full of information.

See ya' at the next Dalby shoot...hopefully the rain lets up by then !!

Just for the interest of others Blaster & Misfiring live  not far from my neck of the woods

11 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Blaster, wondered if you would venture onto this site, great lot of people & full of information.

See ya' at the next Dalby shoot...hopefully the rain lets up by then !!

Just for the interest of others Blaster & Misfiring live  not far from my neck of the woods

Was kinda’ wondering about that!!

Blaster!!  PM is a top cowboy!!  I wish we’d cross paths more often!  Sounds like y’all should enjoy each other’s company!!

Glad you are here! Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome folks. 

G'day Mohawk. How are you doing mate, hope all well?

Cheers Blackwater. Yep agree with that statement. Met Mohawk & McGinty when we started with the Dalby Pioneers. great folk, and he's a mean hand with the shootin' Irons too!

Cheyenne, much appreciated mate. We're hoping to get back over your side of the globe in the near future. Plus try and attend a few shoots around the countryside. It will be a great chance to meet some great folks. 

Nice looking moggy! No hassles here as we both like cats. We are actually looking to buy another couple of cats as we lost our old moggy a couple of years ago. Missing him so it's time to add a couple of new house masters.

SD, RM & Deacon, thanks folks. Happy to be here and enjoying the friendship.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:57 PM, Captain Blaster Mike said:

Fosters, not a snowball's chance in hell! We ship that crud OS for all the unwary to drink!!! LOL!

I'm more of a Scotch, Bourbon type. Though I have been know to take part in a few good ales and some ciders! Oh and enjoy a good port with a nice coffee also.

Cigars you say? Scotch and Bourbon you say? Got to ward off the chill up here you know. :D

DEEB4204-91C0-4BB5-BFE8-D3F61FA50ABA.jpeg

5AC69E6E-152E-45BE-A7BF-337617634F6A.jpeg

welcome - belated as it may be - im recently retired as well , it is an adjustment , been working on it for a little over a year now and not quite got it figured out yet , there were things that pressed you forward that are no longer there , and there are things that have always drawn you that your adjusting to actually being able to do , 

then there is that list that significant others draw up because they cant stand seeing you sit comfortably ............OK ive taken care of over twenty major things a month the last 18 months - im keeping a list and checking it off , i still have a seasonal part time job , im ;looking forward to the season to change so i can get away a bit , i love her dearly i just need a break , just a couple days a week will do nicely , better if it was four , then i will look forward to the days we work-i work at her bequest , again i really dont mind in principle - i object in that i dont want my waking moments planned for me anymore , 

now that i have vented , im hoping your adjustment is smoother than mine and glad you have joined us here - this is the venue that affords me some alone time to just be somewhere else doing something i love -shooting- and be around some really great people , have fun in this , thats what its supposed to be 

G'day watab, thanks for the welcome. 

Yeah it was not an easy step.  After 40yrs of service where everything was regimented,  what one expects from the military,  it was like running into a wall. Granted we did do a lot more shooting and I was able to get involved in casting & powder coating,  but I missed the comradeship of my Brothers-in-Arms. It's one thing to talk to them over the phone but not the same as interacting with them. 

I wasn't looking for work as I do reserve days but my neighbour hit me up about doing Trade Assist work with him.  The company he subs to is doing a major fibre optic upgrade and they can't get guys with the security clearances up front.  It takes too long to go through the channels. So I was head  hunted for the role. 

It's simple work,  out doors mainly,  good physical work & with a couple of great fella's to work with.  Pays not bad either! More 'toys' for the gun room LOL!

Hey Utah,

You can keep the 'coffin nails' mate,  but the nectar of the gods is another thing!  Nice little selection to get lost in! 

Archived