SASS Wire Forum

Entering the Modern Era

Griff

It feels really backward, but it seems everyone thinks that shooting their 19th century guns they need to modernize... short stroke kits, spring kits, and different profiles for hammer, trigger, huge sights and leather gear that's only purpose is the put the gun in and out as fast as possible.  Whereas anyone that actually worked on horseback, knows the really great leather is designed and executed to retain that firearm under the worst that horseflesh can dish out in the way of instability.  (Modern techeze for buckin' like hell!)!

So it was with much trepidation and knashing of teeth that I purchased a short stroke kit for my 1873... and even more to actually install it!  And... since I've already embraced the C45S for my pistols... why not?  So I installed my short stroke kit and C45S carrier in my 1873 today...   It might be a good thing that the 18-½ bbl will accomodate 14 rounds vs the 10 rounds of 45Colt... as... if my test is any indication... I'll be bouncing at least 4 unfired rounds out every magazine full!!!

DSCN1407.JPG

10 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Cool!

I saw my first short stroked '73 in 1990... it's only taken me 32 years to embrace the idea... ;)

I resisted for about 15 years or so because I shoot a variety of calibers and figured if I short stroked one I'd have to do them all.  So now 3 are done and a 4th about to start.   That and getting rid of the thumb wrap habit definitely sped me up! 

But not the 44-40 - that would just be wrong. :)

I'm right there with you.  With everyone shooting a short stroke these days, I consider my stock '73 to be an Extended Stroke rifle. :P

After having broken my wrist in 2020, I actually bought a kit in the spring of 2021 figuring it would help out the wrist a bit.  Still haven't put it in the dang rifle.  :rolleyes:

Maybe this year... :P

3 minutes ago, john brown said:

Did you install a 3rd gen kit?

That's the Pioneer Gun Works "Super Short-Stroke" Kit.

2 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I'm right there with you.  With everyone shooting a short stroke these days, I consider my stock '73 to be an Extended Stroke rifle. :P

After having broken my wrist in 2020, I actually bought a kit in the spring of 2021 figuring it would help out the wrist a bit.  Still haven't put it in the dang rifle.  :rolleyes:

Maybe this year... :P

Do it.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

That's the Pioneer Gun Works "Super Short-Stroke" Kit.

Was the kit hard to install?

16 minutes ago, john brown said:

Was the kit hard to install?

No.  Good instructions and being very pro-active on filing very little at a time and test fitting a LOT, until the timing is correct.  I'll admit that in the beginning it was a bit discouraging after test fitting 4 or 5 times and it wasn't appearing to make a difference... Filing a couple more times, all of a sudden it was there... WooHoo!  Fabulous sense of accomplishment!  I'm sure that to the professionals, this was just ho-hum... another conversion... but for me, just like fixing anything... If it's not raining tomorrow, I'm trying it out during a match.  Maybe I can have someone else test it and tell me if it "feels" right.   Since, I've only shot a few guns with a short stroke kit, and never one in 45 Colt!  

3 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Hey Griff. Is it just me or are you starting to get gamier in your old age??

No... I'm still using deodorant...:P  Actually, not ready to seriously compete, but... finishing last has run its course!  

All cool and such and using modern parts to update classics  , If they could have back then they would have , they did changes to trigger to make them lighter hence hair trigger and so on .

For me naw no need I shoot for the hobby of it now . I feel once you make it more about the competition  than the hobby , you lose the spirit of the game. . Just me . 

3 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

All cool and such and using modern parts to update classics  , If they could have back then they would have , they did changes to trigger to make them lighter hence hair trigger and so on .

For me naw no need I shoot for the hobby of it now . I feel once you make it more about the competition  than the hobby , you lose the spirit of the game. . Just me . 

One of the main things I have always liked about this game was the fact that a person could be as competitive or noncompetitive as they wanted.  Granted, there needs to be a threshold to prevent an arms race, but I think the RO committee is doing a decent job of that.

I shot stock guns for 2-3 years, then had them slicked up but not short stroked.  Shot them that way for 16 more years, and now I'm going to add a short stroke.  It's not going to launch into the awards circle, but it will enable me to do a little better.

No different than someone who has the time and resources to practice 20 hours per week and shoot 10,000 rounds per month vs someone who can't.  Is that a SOG violation?  On the contrary, I think it shows a dedication to the sport.

Shoot what you want, enjoy the game for what it is too you, and have fun.  The rest is just noise.

Just the view from my saddle.

8 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

@Griff  did you modify an existing carrier or buy a replacement for the C45S change?

No, I bought the C45S carrier from the Smith Shop... Bill did a fantastic job, I guess he had a few orders, because after I ordered mine, he shipped 'em out in a couple weeks.  (I bought 2).  I'm also converting my 1860.  But... after shooting the 1873 today, I need to lighten the mainspring... or at least, ease some of the tension.

Archived