SASS Wire Forum

Boot knife sheath?

Hendo

So as not to hijack @Salty Pawl on his WTB thread, I have a question about boot knife sheaths.

I have a good knife that I want to use, but I haven't figured out how to attach it to my boot. The sheath it has doesn't lend itself well to this and there's not really any method of retention for it.

What are y'all doing? Ideas and gratuitous pictures will not be turned down.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

So as not to hijack @Salty Pawl on his WTB thread, I have a question about boot knife sheaths.

I have a good knife that I want to use, but I haven't figured out how to attach it to my boot. The sheath it has doesn't lend itself well to this and there's not really any method of retention for it.

Spring clips are available from Tandy Leather.  Carried one like that in real life for years.  For nicer, check Purdy Gear's website - I'm going to use the Silver spoon handle trick for the new one.

26 minutes ago, Hendo said:

My Pakistan made boot knife came with a leather like sheath.  I cut the lacing that held the front and back pieces of the sheath together.  I then securely taped one 1/2 sheath to the exterior of my boot.  Using a Dremel tool with a drill bit I drill holes though my boot using the lacing holes in the 1/2 sheath as a pattern.  Then brown (to match the color of my boots) waxed thread to stitched the 1/2 sheath to the interior of my boot.

IMG_0904.JPG

This is my answer to the boot knife. Seems to work pretty well!!

Jasper

phone 093.jpg

1028211002.jpg

1028211003a.jpg

phone 094.jpg

Ask yourself it one of these big knives would have helped Mathew Quigley (yes, a movie).  Would have been seen - same in real life.  How many of the folks making recommendations have carried a boot knife every day for years or other than SASS Costume?  I have.  Measure between the ankle and knee condyles, physique has a good bit to do with it.  Muscle or fat along with boot space can quickly render some choices very uncomfortable and impractical. 

55 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Ask yourself it one of these big knives would have helped Mathew Quigley (yes, a movie).  Would have been seen - same in real life.  How many of the folks making recommendations have carried a boot knife every day for years or other than SASS Costume?  I have.  Measure between the ankle and knee condyles, physique has a good bit to do with it.  Muscle or fat along with boot space can quickly render some choices very uncomfortable and impractical. 

If it helps, I used to have an M3 strapped to my calf when I went into the field, but that ain't very cowboy. :D

I tried wearing on my gunbelt, but it got in the way. It is a bit of a tribute to a pard of mine, so I'm trying to figure a useful way to carry it. 

I carried a 7" dagger in my stove top boots for years. It was not a very expensive knife but looked the part. It came with a simple sheath with a belt loop. I cut the portion of the loop that came down to the back of the sheath, making a long tab. The sheath went into the right boot up to the end of the tab, which was folded over the boot top and secured with a decorative chicago screw. Sorry no pix, it is packed in prep for a move.

Imis

27 minutes ago, Flanigan Flats said:

I had Jasper Agate install a snap inside my boot and to the sheath it work’s very well.

F9F286E6-624B-455D-A837-191F5FC75F51.jpeg

D4585690-C6D1-4427-B800-5EC7056A7243.jpeg

4DF54C31-EB5C-4B14-AB73-18A0E50DC9E9.jpeg

That's pretty clever. 

Archived