SASS Wire Forum

Front bead sight

Depends upon how you will use the rifle.  A main match cowboy match rifle - can use a large bead, and it's very fast to shoot.  A 1/8" or 5/16" bead is not too big for some folks (but it is for me - my eyes are still 20/15 corrected).

A long range rifle shooting targets where that large a bead will hide most or all of the target - won't hit many.  Use a factory size bead.  1/16" bead,   Sight height from base to top of bead is normally 0.410"     If you have a modified or changed rear sight, you may need a different front sight height.

good luck, GJ

44 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Depends upon how you will use the rifle.  A main match cowboy match rifle - can use a large bead, and it's very fast to shoot.  A 1/8" or 5/16" bead is not too big for some folks (but it is for me - my eyes are still 20/15 corrected).

A long range rifle shooting targets where that large a bead will hide most or all of the target - won't hit many.  Use a factory size bead.  1/16" bead,   Sight height from base to top of bead is normally 0.410"     If you have a modified or changed rear sight, you may need a different front sight height.

good luck, GJ

Do you mean 3/16"?

you mean 3/16"?

Yep, sorry.  Although I have seen some folks use a large primer (what, 0.210" diameter) or a 1/4" brass rod.  That seems to hide half the bay to me.

good luck, GJ

Archived