SASS Wire Forum

Can't get Dillon Dies

Buckshot Bear

Can't get Dillon Dies anywhere in Australia every gun shop is sold out, what's another brand of dies you'd recommend for a XL650 for loading .38 S&W?

Is there a Dillon shortage in the USA? There's just nothing Dillon available in Australia presently, all suppliers just say "there's a shipment coming in but we don't know when". 

I would assume it is like my 550 and standard dies work fine. I use RCBS and Lyman in my 550 and added a RCBS lockout die.

Dillon 650 press uses standard reloading dies.

I loaded commercially for 18 years.

Almost all my dies are Lee dies.

When I started, the Lee dies where about 1/16" too long.

I ground off 1/16" off the bottom of the dies and every thing work good.

On some tool heads I have RCBS dies.

I use the Dillon powder through die but the other dies on the tool head are not Dillon.

56 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Dillon 650 press uses standard reloading dies.

I loaded commercially for 18 years.

Almost all my dies are Lee dies.

When I started, the Lee dies where about 1/16" too long.

I ground off 1/16" off the bottom of the dies and every thing work good.

On some tool heads I have RCBS dies.

I use the Dillon powder through die but the other dies on the tool head are not Dillon.

+10000 Exactly what I do

RCBS dies.  If you can get them and you load .44-40, then Redding dies.   The Dillon seater die is handy because it can be disassembled instantly to clean out bullet lube, but that is less and less needed today with the powder coated bullets most pards like.

good luck, GJ

A  friend ordered Dillon dies.   Found there was 62 weeks wait time.  Good news is only 20/23 weeks wait left.   GW       Loaned him my spare set      

2 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

What caliber are you looking for?

After 38/357 I've contacted so many gunshops and there's just nothing 'Dillon' anywhere, everything is on extended back order. 

I have Dillon 9mm dies in the XL650 and really like them. I have Lee 38/357 & .32 S&W Long dies in my Lyman turret press and they good but I like Dillon dies better.

I need to move from making .38's on the Lyman to the 650 as its getting to labour intensive.

The only Dillon dies I have are the 45Colt that came with the XL650 press.  The rest: 38/357, 380, 9mm, 40 S&W/10mm, 45ACP, 223/5.56x45 & 308/7.62x51 are Lee.  Some of the lee dies require installing the lock nut on the underside of the tool head.  Since I have a tool head for each there are two Dillon powder thru dies in each for the Dillon powder measure and Dillon powder check system.

Bear, in the same boat mate. There's is sweet bugga all around the place. I've tried Mario at SAFire in SA and Greg at NVT in WA. Both nothing  in stock for 32H&R Mag. There is some stuff at Cleavers but nothing in 38/357 from memory. I was there a couple weeks ago. plenty of 38Super, 357Sig & 9mm. I'm chasing the 32 dies & kit for the Square Deal but run Lee/Lyman/Simplex Master/Redding in my 550 & 650.

Yep Mike, tried all those places and nothing.....all back ordered. I've bought all my Dillon stuff from Greg at NVT over the years.

I think I'm going to try and just order straight from Dillon USA, but even they are all back ordered with everything I want.

I have been hunting a set of 38/357 Dillon dies for my 650 for close to a year. I just won a auction on Ebay for a Dillon Sizing die and I can order the other 2 dies from Dillon as they are in stock to make a Dillon 3 die set. I suggest you order the seating die and crimp die from Dillon and look for a sizing die or use one from another company until you can get a Dillon one. I paid $45 to Ebay with tax and shipping and the other 2 dies are listed at $35. 00 each from Dillon. My experience with my 2 650's is that Dillon dies work best since it is an auto index machine. The current problem is getting carbide to make the sizing die and that is the hold up on getting a 3 dies set from what i have been told. Good Luck.

None of my many dies are Dillon but I load everything on either my Dillon 550 or on occasion my RCBS Rock Chucker that I started on way back when I was only shooting bolt action rifles. 

On 3/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Can't get Dillon Dies anywhere in Australia every gun shop is sold out, what's another brand of dies you'd recommend for a XL650 for loading .38 S&W?

Is there a Dillon shortage in the USA? There's just nothing Dillon available in Australia presently, all suppliers just say "there's a shipment coming in but we don't know when". 

I have a set of Lee 38 S&W dies for sale. Hardly used, I never used them. $50.00

BTW I use Lee or RCBS dies in my 650 no problem.

6 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

I have a set of Lee 38 S&W dies for sale. Hardly used, I never used them. $50.00

BTW I use Lee or RCBS dies in my 650 no problem.

Thanks Jackaroo...the post above yours mate I lucked out on Friday. 

20 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Did you get them from the dealer in St. Louis. MO?

I wondered if he was going to be able to ship them to you.

Maddog McCoy

No, they never ended up answering my emails (2)....appreciate the offer of help Maddog thank you.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

There is room on a 650 for an RCBS powder check die.  Mine has prevented several squib rounds.

Also known as a lockout die.  They work well

Archived