SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 Loading

Tequila Shooter

I just bought a Springfield Armory model 1873 trapdoor (built in October 1874) in .45-70.  I haven’t shot it yet, I’m still trying to get the components together.  While I’m waiting for bullets and primers thought I should ask a couple of questions.  I’d like to shoot 200yd side match, so I was wondering is a 300gr bullet heavy enough?  Should I anneal the cases?  I’ll be using real BP, do I really need 70 grains to accurately hit a target at that distance?  Can I use less with some sort of filler?

Thanks

Someone just put a bunch of BP 45-70 bullets on the Classifieds.

You can reduce the load, but BE SURE TO USE A FILLER! NEVER LEAVE AIR SPACE IN A BP CARTRIDGE CASE! You probably can't get 70 grains of powder in modern solid-head brass. A 55 gr. charge with filler and a 405 gr bullet will duplicate the original carbine load.  

The Trapdoor is not considered a strong action. I recommend the book, "Loading cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine" :

https://www.amazon.com/Loading-cartridges-original-Springfield-carbine/dp/157579019X

I use 160gr lead in my hand rifle with 35gr of 2f and topped off with filler. It's great out to 125 yards. After that I use 300 gr lead with 45 gr 2f and filler out to about 300 yards. Anything further I grab the shoulder breakers. Full case of 3f through a 24" drop tube and a 400gr lead. I've hit targets at 800 yards with that. 

17 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I just bought a Springfield Armory model 1873 trapdoor (built in October 1874) in .45-70.  I haven’t shot it yet, I’m still trying to get the components together.  While I’m waiting for bullets and primers thought I should ask a couple of questions.  I’d like to shoot 200yd side match, so I was wondering is a 300gr bullet heavy enough?  Should I anneal the cases?  I’ll be using real BP, do I really need 70 grains to accurately hit a target at that distance?  Can I use less with some sort of filler?

Thanks

I run either a 397 gas check or a 405 plainbase lubed with SPG tropic over 69.3 gr. Schutzen 2f, .030" card wad compressed .12" in Starline brass. Only had it out to 200 yards but it does just fine. Recoil is moderate, not a shoulder breaker by any stretch.

16 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

You can reduce the load, but BE SURE TO USE A FILLER! NEVER LEAVE AIR SPACE IN A BP CARTRIDGE CASE! You probably can't get 70 grains of powder in modern solid-head brass. A 55 gr. charge with filler and a 405 gr bullet will duplicate the original carbine load.  

69.3gr in Starline through a 36" drop tube.

All that said Cholla is correct the Trapdoor is not a strong action so have a gunsmith familiar with them go over it.

Archived