SASS Wire Forum

38 LC

Smokey Squibbs

Not that I can think of. That would be a limited market since it is an obsolete cartridge. You can shoot .38 LC in .38 SW Special and .357 Magnum.

I think Cimarron's Lightning and P-Jr are marked ".38 S&W Spcl and 38 LC".  But that is a modern 38 Colt which is just a shortened .38 Spcl.  Like H.K. was saying, original 38 Colts will be heel-based rounds and nobody makes a modern version of that, but .36 percussion guns can be converted to use it.

15 hours ago, Smokey Squibbs said:

Does anyone know of a reproduction 38 LC revolver? Thanks.

The key word is reproduction. Both Cimarron Lightning and Taylor's Stallion are stamped both 38 Colt (Long or "short") and 38 Special. I have three of the guns and sold a fourth. The size is reduced from the scale of a SAA (Model P Jr.) and fits smaller hands well. Taylor's has the plow handle and Bird Head while Cimarron does the Lightning style grip.

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

Not that I can think of. That would be a limited market since it is an obsolete cartridge. You can shoot .38 LC in .38 SW Special and .357 Magnum.

I dabbled in the 38 LC world for a short time, and got to appreciate the caliber. I would like to see some firearms chambered in the caliber as well. 

Although it is safe to shoot 38 LC ammunition in a 357 chamber, the jump to the throats is starting to be a bit longer than optimum. As already mentioned, the 38 LC is in all likelihood better suited to a 38 Special chamber. 

I haven't used 45 Cowboy in a 45 LC, given the larger diameter, the jump to the throat may be tolerated better than with a 38 LC in a 357. 

WRT revolvers and the associated cylinder gap, there seems to be a relationship that can make the relationship work well or poorly. I don't have any insight into the phenomenon, but in my experience I didn't see enough of an advantage to continue the practice. 

However, I did find some advantages, the biggest was than 125 to 135 gr bullets could be shot at slower velocities with smaller variations of velocity than in a larger case. 

Calibre

38 Long Colt

Date Loaded

2019-08-08

Powder

Trail Boss

Weight in Grains

2.6 (5L)

Bullet

Xmetal Comanchero

Weight in Grains

Primer

Fed 100

Loaded OAL

Case

Starline 38 LONG COLT

Weight in Grains

60.6 avg/5

Times Loaded

Number loaded

10, 10

Rifle

NV 320

Barrel clean/fouled

Velocity Av

706/707.8

Es

28/37.7

Sd

10.9/17.2

Shots

5>/5<

Comments

Retest: 700/713.5, 25.5/11, 9.5/4.5   

You can go down in charge, and up as well and the number remain decent, or even improve. 

Before my purchase of 38 LC brass, I had trimmed down some old Dominion brass and with 2.15 grains of TB the numbers were good.

Calibre

38 Long Colt

Date Loaded

2019-08-01

Powder

Trail Boss

Weight in Grains

2.15 (4L)

Bullet

Xmetal Comanchero

Weight in Grains

Primer

Fed 100

Loaded OAL

Case

Dominion 38 SPL (1.02")

Weight in Grains

Times Loaded

Number loaded

Rifle

NV 320

Barrel clean/fouled

Velocity Av

607/623.5

Es

9.7/ 14.19

Sd

4.6/5.1

Shots

5>/5<

However, there were issues with POA and POI. 

Eventually I transitioned to loading LEE 148 gr wadcutters in 38 Special brass, which IMHO is a better way to go. In most of my revolvers POA and POI are very close, and brass is a bunch cheaper and more plentiful. But you have my vote for a 38 LC chambering. 

Archived