SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun press options

Hoss

I’ve been loading on a Pacific/Hornaday 366.  I acquired it at an estate sale a few years back. I think it is 30+ years old. I’ve been having issues with it, and has some features I don’t like. Considering replacing it. 
I want a progressive press, but only load for cowboy, 100 rounds a month or so. A Spolar seems like overkill! 
many suggestions on what you like/don’t like? 

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I love my RCBS Grand. They make them in batches, and they are not always in stock. But I like mine!

They seem to be out of stock everywhere, or discontinued 

I have a MEC 9000 which I can Crank out a lot of rounds fairly quickly, I also use a MEC jr that I use to load my bp shotgun shells. I understand the attraction for a progressive press. But for 100 rounds a month a Mec jr would turn them out pretty quick, you might keep an eye open for a used MEC Sizemaster on the classifies on here. If I am correct, they work like the progressive, but you have to rotate the hulls manually like on a Dillon 550.There is also the Dillon 900 to consider. I have never used that machine, but I have friends that love them.

Hochbauer

I have a MEC 9000H for sale. (Hydraulic).  I can load and box 25 shells  in about 5 minutes. $1000. + shipping.

Dillion 900 (the shell feeder is awesome addition)

Ponsness Warren. AWESOME machine 

RCBS The Garand, excellent machine 

Those are my choices over the 366 your using, and I’ve used them all with multiple thousands of rounds through them including a 366.  The Dillion ( bought used) has the fewest through it but it’s a KEEPER! Even Dad has upgraded from my PW to my Dillion now, because of the shell feeder. Lol. He shoots a lot more trap than me now, but yea as a family we have shot a lot of trap over the years. 

11 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

100 rounds/month MEC 600junior. Cheap and destruct proof.

+1 

Aw, c'mon Hoss, we just talked about this the other day.  And everybody agreed that the Lee Load-All II is the best by far for quickly cranking out tons of shells.  

:)

Actually, I did just buy a second one to load smokeless on.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Aw, c'mon Hoss, we just talked about this the other day.  And everybody agreed that the Lee Load-All II is the best by far for quickly cranking out tons of shells.  

:)

Actually, I did just buy a second one to load smokeless on.

I have a Load all. I’ve loaded hundreds on it. I’ll likely use it until I find a better option. I use it now for BP. They are pretty cheap plasticky things, but they do work!  And are cheap. 50 bucks or so! 

Yes, RCBS Grand has now been discontinued from what I hear.

A very easy press to run as a progressive or a single-shell at a time is the MEC Grabber  (8567N).  Easy to keep up with cowboy demand up to 250 rounds a week.  Does an excellent job resizing the bases of hulls because it has the MEC collet built in.

Used that Grabber until I got a used Hornady 366, and now (since I like it so much and am shooting a lot of clays - up to 500 rounds a week) I have two.

Yes, using a 366 demands that the operator understand machinery and pay attention ALL THE TIME.   Sorta like running a hay bailer.

good luck, GJ

I have a Dillon 900 that Dad bought about 05 He was shooting a lot of trap then and could justify the price. It is an amazing machine to watch, lots of things happening at once, simple for the operator, set a wad, stroke the handle, repeat...until something goes wrong and suddenly you better understand this auto indexing machine and all its stations and functions. It is possible to have a real mess in a hurry. Dillon service can help you, they are the best.

Imis

Hornady 366.  I acquired it at an estate sale a few years back. I think it is 30+ years old.

You know that Hornady will rebuild that machine if you send it back to them for the cost of parts and a flat rate fee that is reasonable?   That often gets a tired machine running real slick.

good luck, GJ

ive posted numerous times that i was loading shotshells with my hornaday 366 for years till the "issues" overwhelmed my happiness , it has gone on to someone that loved the loaders and was willing to put up with it , back then i was shooting trap and sporting clays in addition to my cowboy loads and went thru a lot more than i do now , i also have a fair stock of factory trap loads in the basement , 

im now loading only the cowboy loads , ive got two MECs a single stage jr and a progressive 9000 [ill b giving this back to the friend that gave it to me along with the various other gauge [410 , 28 , 20 , 16] die sets he gave me , i like the single stage for what i shoot in CAS and i only shoot 12ga these days , these have sentimental value to him , they were his stepfathers [the shotgun writer michael maccintosh] so i need to return them , he would let me keep them if i would use them but i wont , 

im very happy with my single stage MEC for what few i load these days , 100s as opposed to 1000s - i can do that and enjoy the time at the machine , im not and would never try to tell anyone whats BEST for them , i just find for a smalll scale loader its easy to do what you want on a less expensive machine , 

my friend that gave me these uses a poncess warne with hydraulic operation system - he is a quad that shoots trap , he has limited hand ability  but shoots well and goes through 1000s of rounds every year , if you have to have a progressive id recomend this unit as ive seen him run it and if he can - you can , 

but then if you tell him he cant he will prove you wrong - because he can , ............................so can you 

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yes, RCBS Grand has now been discontinued from what I hear.

A very easy press to run as a progressive or a single-shell at a time is the MEC Grabber  (8567N).  Easy to keep up with cowboy demand up to 250 rounds a week.  Does an excellent job resizing the bases of hulls because it has the MEC collet built in.

Used that Grabber until I got a used Hornady 366, and now (since I like it so much and am shooting a lot of clays - up to 500 rounds a week) I have two.

Yes, using a 366 demands that the operator understand machinery and pay attention ALL THE TIME.   Sorta like running a hay bailer.

good luck, GJ

Love the baling hay comparison! My problem is I ain’t overly mechanical, in the hay baling world, I was the guy on the ground throwing bales to the guy on the truck. I wasn’t even allowed to stack! 

I'll second the RCBS Grand. It uses RCBS, Hornady or Pacific bushings. What I really like about it- both powder and shot are case activated, quick drain feature for powder and shot, fast and built like a tank.

I use my Grabber when I'm loading hundreds. My Jr. when only a couple boxes of BP. I enjoy both, but the grabber can suddenly make a mess!

I just started loading shotgun shells this winter.  By advice of a friend, I started with a MEC grabber.  Seems to be a pretty good press.

Archived