SASS Wire Forum

2022 Illinois State Championship Update

Popcorn Kelly

Howdy Cowboys, Cowgirls, and friends,

This post is meant to provide you with a quick update on the SASS 2022 Illinois State Championship scheduled for July 15-17, 2022, along with a few fun facts. This will be the first Illinois Championship match since 2019 and the first state championship match hosted by Illowa Irregulars, although we’ve regularly hosted other reasonably large matches.  We are proud to be able to give Illinois the State Championship match it deserves. 

Planning for the 2022 Championship began July 2021 when an exploratory committee was formed, with the committee putting together a proposal for us to host a 2022 State Championship match.  We presented our proposal to the Milan Rifle Club Board (MRC) in August 2021.  MRC’s board approved the proposal, and we quickly submitted our application to SASS a couple of weeks in advance of the September 2021 deadline.  SASS accepted our application. 

The Exploratory Committee quickly morphed into the Planning Committee and added a few more cowboys and cowgirls for good measure.  Tasks were assigned and it’s been nonstop work since.  It’s now early March 2022 and things are coming together nicely.  As of today, we’ve 126 registered shooters which is 70% of our 180-shooter limit.  Count Sandor is writing the Stages, the club has purchased a few new targets, and work has already begun on the various minor range repairs needed after each winter.  Count is putting together a fast, fun, straight-forward match worthy of a state championship.  

Here are a few fun facts to date as of early March:

• We have 154 shooters from 15 different states currently registered;
  • 59% of registrants are from Illinois with 20 % from Iowa, with the rest scattered among the remaining 13 represented states;
  • At the current time we’ve shooters in 40 different categories with Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron, and Forty-niner being the most popular;
  • The Championship buckles are in, and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place buckles were ordered last week;
  • The Event Program is finalized and went to print last week; 
  • 20 people have indicated they would like a camping spot;
    • We’ve plenty of room, but keep in mind this is dry camping only at the range; and,
  • We've over 70 reservations for the optional Saturday evening Celebration Belle riverboat dinner cruise; and,
  • The Quad Cities area where Illowa Irregulars are located has an abundance of hotels, restaurants, and other activities making it an easy place to shoot, visit, and stay the weekend (or longer).

If you’ve registered, thank-you and we look forward to seeing you this July.  If you’ve yet to register or know of someone who is planning to do so, be sure to send in your match registration soon to guarantee a spot, as there are less than 30 slots remaining.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please email Illowa Irregulars by clicking here or visiting www.illowairregulars.com

Happy trails,

Illowa Irregulars

Click here to see Who's Coming.  

I’m excited about this match!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 5/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, Scarlett said:

I’m excited about this match!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Count Sandor writes great stages and the all shot gun stage is always fun. I'm sure you will enjoy the lunches and the diner cruise will be relaxing and enjoyable. Just remember to bring some bug spray. 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:25 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Count Sandor writes great stages and the all shot gun stage is always fun. I'm sure you will enjoy the lunches and the diner cruise will be relaxing and enjoyable. Just remember to bring some bug spray. 

I shot with Count Sandor and Partner’s Parner TODAY!! Really looking forward to the match and we travel with Thermacells and bug spray! :D

Hugs!!

Scarlett

Oh, one thing Popcorn forgot to mention, and it is very important. Full your tank before you enter Illinois. Gas is very expensive! Iowa is only a few miles away and you can swing over to get a full tank before you head home.

It'll feel good to have an Illinois State Championship match after these past couple of years.  Illowa Irregulars are glad to be part of bringing it back to Illinois.  

Speaking of back - Back in the Saddle, Again is the match theme and figures in the stage descriptions Count Sandor is putting together. 

(About the only other clue I'll give you is that you'll recognize many of the stage lines.)

I attached an image of our Championship, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place award buckles to this post.  Daisy Ann did a nice job of designing them for us.  Click on the image below to see them a little better. 

Planning continues.  The Event Program has been ordered.  We've 45 Door Prizes and 6 Raffle items we will give away. Click here to see the entire list.  

We've over 75 people signed up for the Saturday evening Celebration Belle Riverboat Dinner Cruise on the Mississippi.  I've been asked a couple of times if the boat actually leaves the dock.  Absolutely it leaves the dock and cruises up and down the Mississippi for about 2.5 hours.  If you're interested, check our Registration Form for details. 

Speaking of registration forms, we've still a few spots left. If you're looking for a July match we'd enjoy having you. Just click on the link in the previous paragraph to download the form.

All Buckles.jpg

I also want to point out, for those that have never been to Illowa Irregulars' range, this is NOT a lost brass match.  Each stage is separated from adjacent stages by berms so we can retrieve brass that's thrown forward after every shooter.  You'll get about 90% of your brass back.  PK

Archived