SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 problem

DeaconKC

When we moved last year, I got the 550 set up again but hadn't actually run anything on it as I had plenty of loaded ammo on hand. Well today went to fire it up, dropped the first sleeve of primers in and thankfully had the catch cup in place as the whole 100 primers came pouring through! Spent the next bit checking everything I could think of and finally called Dillon. Well Sam at Dillon knew exactly what was wrong with two questions. Part is on the way, so hopefully next week will see the faithful old Big Blue cranking out reloads again.

@Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646  It's the little detent that keeps the primers from falling all the way through. When you look at the front of the lower primer mechanism, the small flat spring had come loose, allowing the detent piece to escape.

Although @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 is probably closer to the truth!

12 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

@Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646  It's the little detent that keeps the primers from falling all the way through. When you look at the front of the lower primer mechanism, the small flat spring had come loose, allowing the detent piece to escape.

Although @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 is probably closer to the truth!

You know, 100 primers on the loose is big money these days. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You know, 100 primers on the loose is big money these days. 

You know it! With fiddling around I think I lost 4-5 primers, but that;s a WHOLE lot better than a 100. 

BTW, just a word of advice, do NOT use a shopvac to pick up primers. Don't ask me how I know this, just trust me.

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

You know it! With fiddling around I think I lost 4-5 primers, but that;s a WHOLE lot better than a 100. 

BTW, just a word of advice, do NOT use a shopvac to pick up primers. Don't ask me how I know this, just trust me.

..... a little noisier than usual ?   :huh:

Love Dillon's customer service. Any time I talk to someone who's considering getting into reloading, I tell them to get a Dillon 550 and not look back.

27 minutes ago, Possum Stu said:

Love Dillon's customer service. Any time I talk to someone who's considering getting into reloading, I tell them to get a Dillon 550 and not look back.

...... yep ...   :wub:

You know it's stuff like this that Dillon owners get accused of drinking the Blue Koolaid. They earn their customer's loyalty.

Same here, it's been quite rare that I've had to call Dillon over the decades. On the few occasions I have, the issue was taken of professionally and parts were on the way and usually with a couple spares. GO DILLON

Archived