SASS Wire Forum

What type of glue to use for grips

Bearfoot Tracker

The grips I purchased custom made for my Uberti SAA Revolver came apart after some 120 rounds of use. I need to glue one of the sides back to the middle piece. I take it that I should first sand the old glue off both sides before re-gluing. The question is .... what type of glue should I use to reattach the side piece to the middle piece?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Brownells Accraglas epoxy.  Use strong rubber bands or better yet, rubber tubing (also available from Brownells) wrapped tightly while the epoxy sets up.  Don't let the Accraglas come in contact with parts of the firearm that you don't want glued.   A thin coat of automotive grease on the grip frame keeps the epoxy from gluing to the frame, but still lets it be a very tight fit once set and the grease is removed.

Scraping with a razor blade will remove old glue without opening a gap between wood parts that were "wood glued".

The cured accraglas will be stronger than most wood parts that are glued with it.

good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Brownells Accraglas epoxy.  Use strong rubber bands or better yet, rubber tubing (also available from Brownells) wrapped tightly while the epoxy sets up.  Don't let the Accraglas come in contact with parts of the firearm that you don't want glued.   A thin coat of automotive grease on the grip frame keeps the epoxy from gluing to the frame, but still lets it be a very tight fit once set and the grease is removed.

Scraping with a razor blade will remove old glue without opening a gap between wood parts that were "wood glued".

The cured accraglas will be stronger than most wood parts that are glued with it.

good luck, GJ

GJ, Do you think it would be helpful to drill some small holes into the wood to help the epoxy grip better?

Not usually needed, unless it appears the wood is either too thin or too soft to hold up on it's own.  But since wood grips survived and the original glue joint failed, I would not go to extra work to add only a little extra strength to the joint.  Now, if you cut brass or steel rod to lay across the joint embedded in accraglas, THAT would strengthen the joint.   But if you blow through epoxy with recoil that can very easily be held with one hand most of the time, there's something very wrong with what you are shooting!  Or that you are dropping the gun on something hard.

good luck, GJ

Gun spinner Joey Dillon once told me he used superglue to hold the panels on.  That way, if he dropped one on a hard surface the grip popping off was more likely to keep it from getting chipped or damaged.  Plus quicker to glue it back on for the next show. :)

JB Weld, I used it on a Colt grip that was cracked and a piece fell off.

Archived