SASS Wire Forum

It's NEVER "just" a dog.

From time to time, I still reflect on the loss of our previous two girls, "Copper" & "Penny", and when I run across pictures like this in my internet searches, it only reinforces my ❤ for them.

Snip-it_1646335115012.jpg.26a8bac06c72b271c5084d7ac49551c1.jpg

I have to wonder if they are reincarnated , I have had dogs that have similar actions to previous dogs , with out them having been around the others 

makes ya wonder , IF they return to their people ? 

Buddy , my current lab mix , does a lot of things , thay make me think of Dummy (lab mix) and Star a sheltie mix , that was gone several years 

before he came to live with me , or am I just super lucky to have had so many good dogs ? 

CB 

39 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I have to wonder if they are reincarnated , I have had dogs that have similar actions to previous dogs , with out them having been around the others 

makes ya wonder , IF they return to their people ? 

Buddy , my current lab mix , does a lot of things , thay make me think of Dummy (lab mix) and Star a sheltie mix , that was gone several years 

before he came to live with me , or am I just super lucky to have had so many good dogs ? 

CB 

I believe that they do. Several years ago, we lost one of ours, Rex. About three years later, my wife came to me telling me that she had the feeling that Rex was at Animal Control, waiting for her to rescue him. She said we had to go NOW! 

When we got there, we hunted through the whole place until she found him. Strangely, he was a 4 month old puppy in with some older dogs. She claimed it was Rex, and went off to get an attendant. She hadn't gone 10 feet when a couple ladies came by and said that they wanted him. If we hadn't got there when we did, we would have lost out. 

He claimed my wife as his human from the first. We called him Rex, and that's what he answered to. I'm sure that he was the same dog, and so is she. 

We lost him again, a couple years ago. We had him 18 years the first time, and 7 the second. We still have several other dogs, but she claims that he's waiting to come back again, when the time is right. 

And BTW, I agree with Will Rogers.

Rex 1 

667641147_pimaair049.thumb.jpg.b6e9f8a0ac15262fb961681203886fb0.jpg

Rex II

100_1046.thumb.JPG.2563872d3f692d5d13b285f4f02c21f7.JPG

53 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

have had dogs that have similar actions to previous dogs , with out them having been around the others 

Could be that it has something to do with the same person training them.

What everyone above said.

Thanks Cool Gun, now blurry with memories.

Dogs were my grandmother's "barometer" for judging people. You could show up at her kitchen door at any hour of the day or night and get a meal fit for a king. But if you didn't pet her dogs or toss them a scrap, you were not told to "come back anytime."

She never trusted people that didn't like dogs. She always had a cat around, but the dog was the "test" for good folks.

We had our "forever" dog leave us about three years ago. Once in a lifetime you get that one dog that just seems to be on the same page with the entire household. They seem to know when you will be coming and going, and even appear to have some understanding of any issues; good or bad, that the family is experiencing.

Percy was Shortcake's protector, a 90 pound rescue that was a German Shepard/Golden Retriever blend. He even knew to herd the grandkids away from the road when they got too close.

When the house is quiet, sometimes I long for the jingle of dog tags. Paws and claws trying to get a grip on a tile floor. Or a big wet face that rests on your leg after a big drink of water (just stopping by to say hi).

I read this post early this morning, but I couldn't find the words. So here I am, late afternoon, able to scrape a few paragraphs together. 

I can't tell Shortcake about this post because she will want to read it. And then we will both be sitting here bleary eyed.

Two of our boys went to Catholic schools. Once at the school I heard a little girl ask Father Gallagher if she would see her dog in heaven. He told her if you want your dog to be there, then he will be there.

I can live with that.

PeachPercyVan.jpeg

This really hits home. Our two current furbies are getting along in age. Java our male GSD will be 9 this year and Lacey, our other GSD will be 10. We've had 8 dogs in our 51+ years of marriage, and these two are in the top 3 of my favorites. Both are rescues, we got Java in Sep 2014 and Lacey in 2018 and were incredibly lucky in personalities that fit our life style. Java is like  Eeyore, slowly without fuss or drama, unless someone comes to the door or he hears the freezer open. Lacey is our hyperchild, super velcro, goofball. Every once in a while I get hit with the thought that life expectancy for their breed is 10-12. I have to remind myself to enjoy the crap out of every day we have with them.

Archived