SASS Wire Forum

Is our generation the last of a dying breed?

I don't think courtesy and consideration is totally lost.  I'm now at the age where I'm receiving the consideration that I used to give to people of my present age.  Sometimes I have a hard time realizing I'm as old as I am now, but my bum knee and cane eventually remind me.

I don't think it's as bad as that. When I was a kid, (70s), we heard the same thing from our elders. As with everything in the media, only the "bad" get recognized. Are there some young jackasses out there? Sure, but in the long run I think that we'll find that they are in the minority.

i know its not totally lost , im watching my children teach their children as we taught them and as we were taught , at times ive felt that thought but then i see these kids and hope some rubs off on their friends 

Every generation thinks this.

I was raised to have manners and brought up my kids, now adults, the same way.  It is my hope and expectation that they will continue in the family tradition.  What amazes me more than the lack of courtesy is the massive, unshakable self regard of some of the younger generation.  I suppose it is due to the phones, the internet, participation trophies and the Handicapper General.  Had a discussion with a young fellow in the course of a controversy.  Overcame every one of his points with hard fact.  His response was to start all over at the beginning because the facts didn't matter and he Felt sure he was correct.

When i was a kid 20% of the kids I knew had no manners. My Mom and  Dad said the same of when they were kids. My daughter says it now.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Maybe, but in your day 12 year-olds weren't shooting each other or robbing 7-11s.

No reason to judge an entire generation though.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Maybe, but in your day 12 year-olds weren't shooting each other or robbing 7-11s.

Doesn't happen that often. When we were kids there wasn't a 24 hour news cycle, either. There have ALWAYS been those who will perform such acts. 

Think of the gang violence in the '60's for example. "West Side Story" was a fantasy movie, but was based on the real thing. Remember the opening of "Adam 12"? The Dispatcher was reporting a "Gang fight, with chains and knives." That was the '70's. Nobody questioned it. 

There always has been, and always will be Evil in the world. It's just getting reported more often.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Guess who said this?

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

The guy five posts above yours?:P

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When i was a kid 20% of the kids I knew had no manners. My Mom and  Dad said the same of when they were kids. My daughter says it now.

Guess who said this?

According to a post 5 up from yours, it was Socrates.

Edit:Looks like Injun and I hit the button at the same time....

31 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

According to a post 5 up from yours, it was Socrates.

Edit:Looks like Injun and I hit the button at the same time....

Ha! That’s pretty funny

33 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

The guy five posts above yours?:P

I swear…I need a vacation or something 

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Knifing them, clubbing them, yes, shooting no.    

Now, what is the percentage of "12 year-olds" shooting each other?  20%?  75%?  Less than 0.01 of 1%?  The press will keep a story like that front page above the fold ins 72 point font for weeks and make one incident seem like a dozen.  

When we left California for Arizona, it was a culture shock like you wouldn't believe.  Little kids would thank you for your service, hold doors for older people, and treat EVERYONE with respect.  I've seen people help elderly folks with their groceries, walk a couple of blocks out of their way to make sure someone got to their destination, and even pay for someone's lunch just because.

Do you want to meet someone new?  Wear a cap or t shirt with almost any logo or message on it, stop in an aisle in a grocery store, hardware store, or grocery and someone will start a conversation.....or maybe they will simply comment on th weather,or stores in the area, or anything else.

I wear very large vintage "cowboy hat" and walk up to someone wearing a similar hat and say "A person has to be nuts to wear a hat like that in public."  Works almost every time.

Stop in a mall and look confused or lost, or ask for directions and you'll have a new friend almost instantly.  One man asked me to tell him what a label of some product said so I explained it to him.  In broken English he told me was from a nation recently invaded by another nation (don't want to sound political) and this was almost four years ago.  He's now a member in a hobby club I belong to.

California and some others are lost, but get into the core of the country and there's still an America out there.

I truly think one of the big problems today ,

is Keyboard bully tough guys .

Back in our day social media was the local hangout where ever that was in your town .

And if you run your mouth recklessly.

( like a keyboard tough guy )

You would get punched in the face ! 

I think people need more  consequences today .

And would would start seeing a lot more respect and treating people the way you would like to be treated .

Rooster

IMO the Baby Boomers are just as rude and spoiled as any other Generation.........................(except me, of course!)

Snakebite

Oh I still have hope. But the fact is there are tons more kids having kids, parents who want to be their child's best friend and not the parent, and parents that just don't parent. Than there was when I was growing up. Yes kids were rude and got into trouble back then. Today without parents parenting and using discipline on their children to teach right from wrong, it will continue to go down hill form here.

I have 6 grandsons, 3 each my son and youngest daughter. I imagine I will see some things by the time they are grown.

Archived