SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 @ 1000 yards

Pee Wee #15785

Anyone one shooting the .45-70 to or past 1000 yards?  What bullet are you using?  I have a 459125 mold that drops a 538 gr Postell bullet that I have shoot to 500 yards but don't know if it will work for a 1000 yards.  At 300 yards it will ring steel just about everytime, don't work in my Marlin though.

Stay with that bullet but weigh them. Stay within a grain or two. You will see significant vertical stringing if you vary much in your bullets.

I agree with Michigan Slim. I shoot the same bullet but sorted to +-1grain.  No problem reaching 1000yds accurately with it  I have a new 1260yd. target that I will try it on when the weather breaks in early April.  While bullet weight is important even more important at those long ranges is MV variance. Try to keep SD below 10fps.

Pee Wee

all of the info above is correct.  I prefer a 525 money bullet but what you have should work as well. Key is repeatability.  Always use the same brass, primer and powder. I cast to .5 grains deviation everything else goes back in the pot.  Make sure you have high quality sights as they will make a world of difference. 

Gringo

1 hour ago, Jasper Agate said:

The Big Hill Buffalo shoot in Baker, MT is a blast as well!!! We're going in June.

Aw give me a break Timmy... yer too timid to shoot them big guns. :ph34r:

I was just able to rejoin a range I had previously been a member of. The other range I belong to has plenty of handgun bays but only about 100 yard on the rifle range. The one I  rejoined goes out 1000 yds.

Now I  can get out and play around with my Marlin Cowboy 45-70 and the one AR15 that I own. I haven't really shot either very much. Have to get a spotting scope.

Gator,  the Vortex RZR HD27-60 X 85 is a very nice reasonably priced spotter.  Of course I would recommend you look at the high end KOWA with the fluorite objective.  Clearer than Swaro and thousands less.  Cheap spotting scopes are no better thn a good riflescope at a few hundred yards. From the rifles you mentioned I doubt you will  be shooting much past 600yds.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Gator,  the Vortex RZR HD27-60 X 85 is a very nice reasonably priced spotter.  Of course I would recommend you look at the high end KOWA with the fluorite objective.  Clearer than Swaro and thousands less.  Cheap spotting scopes are no better thn a good riflescope at a few hundred yards. From the rifles you mentioned I doubt you will  be shooting much past 600yds.

Thanks. Yes, I'm  not going to be shooting the real long distances. But those 22 cal holes are a lot smaller then the 45-70.

I have a C Sharps, 30" barrel, set triggers, shotgun butt stock, weighs 11 lb 15 oz, MVA Longrange, Baldwin globe front with level.  Starline brass, WLR, 67 gr voluum Swiss 1 1/2 viberated then compressed 1/8", .060 card wad, Lyman 125 mold (came with the Sharps) that drops a 538 gr bullet lubed with SPG or bees wax and olive oil mix.  The load also works good in my trapdoor.  I do use IMR3031 also.

7 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Aw give me a break Timmy... yer too timid to shoot them big guns. :ph34r:

he.. he...he.. in 2008 we shot this match!!

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28280

Were heading to the Ben Avery at the end of March to shoot this match

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28192

Hope you are well my friend!! We are doing well and Barb just retired.

Archived