SASS Wire Forum

If Putin's War Comes to America

bgavin

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

They can, have and will get into them. I work for utilities (water and wastewater). You can only try to protect your assets. Happened to a water utility last year here in Indiana.

If I’m not mistaken they were caught and power was restored quickly . (????)

8 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

They can, have and will get into them. I work for utilities (water and wastewater). You can only try to protect your assets. Happened to a water utility last year here in Indiana.

What's the job like? Can you share with us how an average day goes?

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

An operator was taking readings in a water plant and watched the chlorinator max out. Someone hacked into their SCADA controls and was changing settings in the facility. He was able to shut off the chlorine gas before it became an issue. I can monitor my facilities, but I have NEVER allowed any remote control functions.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

An operator was taking readings in a water plant and watched the chlorinator max out. Someone hacked into their SCADA controls and was changing settings in the facility. He was able to shut off the chlorine gas before it became an issue. I can monitor my facilities, but I have NEVER allowed any remote control functions.

Something very similar happened about 6 months (?) ago in Oldsmar Fl, a small town near me. If I recall correctly, it was almost exactly what Slim described.

1 hour ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

What's the job like? Can you share with us how an average day goes?

An operators job is fairly routine. A thorough plant check in the morning. Lay hand on every piece of equipment, take flow and chemical usage readings. Grab all required samples for compliance and process control and run them in the lab. Check all lift stations and booster pumps around town, repairing any that need it. Cleaning the facility is always a good time killer. My operators score big points with me when I see them cleaning and painting. Jetting sewer lines when needed.

The Public Works Director has a sucky job. Dealing with contractors, engineers, the public, scheduling all three departments' projects, dealing with the public......EPA, IDEM(Indiana Dept. of Env. Management), URC(Utility Regulatory Commission), Town Council, Clerks office, the public....

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Something very similar happened about 6 months (?) ago in Oldsmar Fl, a small town near me. If I recall correctly, it was almost exactly what Slim described.

Exactly the same.

21 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

My son is asking if it's a good time to by Rubles.  He may very well be right.

I was thinking this myself! 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, bgavin said:

I figure short of nukes, it will be cyber warfare and not some Red Dawn scenario.
Take out the electrical grid to stop the flow of food, water and gasoline.
My concerns are more about the roving bands of looters that will fan out from the cities in search of the above in our neighborhoods.

Our friends on the East Coast tell about their chronic shortage of cat food.
This shortage has now arrived in Sacramento... the pet food aisle was very popular today... and cleaned out.
The women shopping that aisle have gone store-to-store in search of cat food... stocks are empty.

A long term power outage would be a truly devastating event.

Our local stores were out of dog and cat food THIRTEEN HOURS after the invasion stated.  That is made up BS. :angry:

Archived