SASS Wire Forum

If Putin's War Comes to America

bgavin

I figure short of nukes, it will be cyber warfare and not some Red Dawn scenario.
Take out the electrical grid to stop the flow of food, water and gasoline.
My concerns are more about the roving bands of looters that will fan out from the cities in search of the above in our neighborhoods.

Our friends on the East Coast tell about their chronic shortage of cat food.
This shortage has now arrived in Sacramento... the pet food aisle was very popular today... and cleaned out.
The women shopping that aisle have gone store-to-store in search of cat food... stocks are empty.

A long term power outage would be a truly devastating event.

51 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I figure short of nukes, it will be cyber warfare and not some Red Dawn scenario.
My concerns are more about the roving bands of looters that will fan out from the cities in search of the above in our neighborhoods.

This shortage has now arrived in Sacramento... the pet food aisle was very popular today... and cleaned out.
The women shopping that aisle have gone store-to-store in search of cat food... stocks are empty.

Plenty of stray cats around here to eat, no shortage of cat food at all.:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

After a week, I think I'd get tired of cat.

After a week they'd be gone anyway. Have to move on to the squirrels next. Just couldn't say it too loud in front of the dog.  ;)

I have a "neighbor" (3 miles or so away) who says, "I've got my .270 and a shotgun, I can kill a deer or pheasants to eat", and I have to remind him of the stories our grandparents told of living through The Great Depression here. Within a few months, there was no big game left in these mountains, no small game, no gamebirds. It would be several years until the local farmers & ranchers would see an occasional deer in their fields again.

I don't think Putin will use nukes against Ukraine.  He might use chemical warfare, although the way his conventional kinetic stuff is working, he may not need either.  As nutso as he may be, I don't think he would attempt a first strike against the U.S. directly.  He has to know what would happen if he tried to take out our landbased missiles, and the boomer submarines could still gutshoot Russia a week after the rest of us were radioactive dust!  The tragedy is that we aren't doing more to get military and humanitarian aid to Ukraine.  

Come on, America, build the Keystone pipeline and renew the petroleum leases!  

I just invest in lead and brass the only real precious metals when it really hits the fan. With those I can get what I need and protect what I have. Lol thats if I'm not glowing at the time. 

On a more serious note I think the big concern for the US is China going  after Taiwan. They are our chief source of semiconductors and if thay happens we will have to get involved. If we want to hurt Russia now the way to do it is to open the pipe line and stop buying 595,000 barrels of oil from Russia PER DAY!!! And thats at over $100 a barrel. 

8 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

LOL hardly Joe just told Ukraine Delegate We stand with Iranians :) 

God help us!

Russia taking out our power grid seems a bit improbable if not impossible. We're not a third world country, we have plenty of technology here that would fight against such a move. It's probably happening as we speak. The Russians have been hacking us for years. We always stop them.:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Russia taking out our power grid seems a bit improbable if not impossible. We're not a third world country, we have plenty of technology here that would fight against such a move. It's probably happening as we speak. The Russians have been hacking us for years. We always stop them.:FlagAm:

They can, have and will get into them. I work for utilities (water and wastewater). You can only try to protect your assets. Happened to a water utility last year here in Indiana.

17 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

After a week, I think I'd get tired of cat.

Not if you lived in Beijing. ;)

The cyber war has been going on for years. Will he step it up? Sure. Am I worried about looters? Nope. 

My biggest worry right now is...

Did I just take my morning meds, or didn't I??

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A big one happened just last year: https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2021/05/major-us-pipeline-halts-operations-after-ransomware-attack.html

Affected oil delivery all over the southeast and heading up the east coast for a couple of weeks.  The hackers were an affiliate of a Russia-linked cybercrime group known as DarkSide.

Remembered that it happened around the GA State last year. Gas was getting hard to come by.

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Get a Pill box - either type will help!

Then you have to remember where you put it!

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Then you have to remember where you put it!

I always put important stuff in the same place every single time.  Boring, but if I reach for it, I find it - kinda like wearing a holster.

17 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If Putin comes to America, I definitely would NOT allow him to visit Disneyland! (Remember when Khruschev wanted to go there?)

With the cost of tickets today, his visit would destroy the Russian economy!:rolleyes:

Our electrical grid in America is like a 63 Chevy. It runs but we also have to fix something all the time. Northern California systems fail when people turn on their home AC's.

The attack that would do the most to disrupt a country and yet keep everything intact is an EMP burst. A small Nuc exploded 250 mile sup in the atmosphere will disrupt, damage/destroy electrical systems and electronics for a 1,000 mile radius. Everything we depend on needs power. 

Drop a few of those and come back in 6 moths when 3/4 of the population is dead but nothing is damaged other than the grid. Lots of studies show this to be the best way to approach destroying a country with little effort.

Our military electronics is EMP hardened. But it can't grow and deliver food.

My thoughts were not so much as to "how" the disruption occurs, but what happens after the disruption.
Last summer, we had a full scale ANTIFA rally scheduled about 100 yds from our house.
The only reason they failed to show was due to the stifling summer heat combined with an AQI > 500 from the forest fires.

We have all seen what ANTIFA and BLM folks destroy in times when we still have power.
I can imagine what they will do when going door to door looking for food or fuel.

We had  a scheduled antifa parade/rally here in North Idaho. Many of us armed ourselves and lined the parade route to protect them and to support their right to protest. They left for the Washington state line.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:51 PM, bgavin said:

Are you telling me I will need to go fishing just to feed my cats?  Oh PULEASE!! I BEG OF YOU-- DON'T THROW ME IN THE BRIAR PATCH!  PULEASE!!!

Archived