SASS Wire Forum

Progress on my guncart

E.D. BLACK

Been planning for the five years I have been shooting CAS.

Everything is damn expensive- handful of brass hardware $25 , one 6’ pc of poplar $25 etc.

Still got some birch and oak trim , then some brass inserts and edging .

Trying to figure out axle mounts , then math for upright height- so I can do length and angles of Amish plow handles.

Been a long time thinking and planning , basically on the fly .

Kinda bummed I had to use plywood for base - couldn’t really figure nothing else to use ( 1 piece )

Also , it’s a little over 30” wide - but it kinda centered around the ironwood (?) inlay .

Nothings easy , or cheap .... I see why they cost big bucks . Wish I was a better craftsmen with better equipment and a shop, 

but I am pretty psyched with the way it’s comin out ! 

D08D1051-250E-497B-BCD8-15EDA40823AA.jpeg

CA66039C-7D27-4C00-B6F3-7D2D33356946.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda got taller between the first pic and the next one.  Interesting the way the handles are also the front feet.  Might be a little heavy to lift the front with the handles if you get too much weight out front.  So, I guess the barrels in front are just decor?  Had me confused at first.

Thanks for comments - yes definitely too wide and deep , and probably heavy .

i am too far in to not continue though . I made and designed on fly .

Learned for future modifications to trim down and lighten .

i went through trial and error and I’m overall pleased . 

I do have some more touches and look forward to finishing , sharing progress and finally using at match.

Todays purchases - my first piece of maple ( to box in axle ). Actually it’s a cv now , I had three different , threaded last two - and still too short so I said let’s chop in half . The  2 ft poplar is the L/S inboard axle, which I will reinforce with steel washer to not egg shape the wood . These 2 boards today were $30.

Mostly all twisted and warped at Lowe’s - have gotten 50% discounts a couple times though.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes  kid definitely Weighs too much -fortunately it stays in one spot the whole match .

The copper sheet is actually to save weight . The 2 pcs will stand vertically, to cover the L&R axles ( under pencil )

The long polished strips will cover the ugly plywood transitions , front and rear. Yes way too big in 5 or 6 descriptions , but it’s about 90% what I envisioned over last 5 years . The plywood dimension from the start was too long and wide.

Other than that , almost everything is falling into place , finally. Really wanted top shelf routered for my yet to get Colt Zippo, but it led to black walnut ripped down , and fastened with tapered copper screws. I sunk all the cart  screws , most were done too deep .I will rip a piece too for the ‘94 stock stop. I will nut & bolt that with 3 brass. The “24 will rest perfectly on the main poplar 5/4 cross beam. Two more brass 1/4 20 for plow also . I got a few more tricks , as stated ... I’m pretty damn happy . Trying to keep it simple , less is more 

70C931CB-9D96-4CD1-A3A5-3C142BF5E20D.jpeg

i like your detailing , ive been admiring the craftsmanship , im sorry if ive come off wrong on weight and size - over the years ive studied these a lot , also toted over uneven ground - uphill - down hill and over the nice flat ranges , being a small stature person it takes a toll , i think on that , getting older has as well , while i love the cool designs i often seek to caution of the pitfalls of overbuilding , 

if every range was flat or even better paved id just shut up and watch as well as admire , most carts ive seen are really heavy and some cumbersome , but in the end if its what you want im all for it , id love to meet one day down the trail and discuss all the pros and cons , in the meantime go for it , ill keep asking the hard questions and enjoying all the fine work that is presented , i wish one day someone could incorporate every cool detail into one really cool cart , 

for now i love yyour details and look forward to seeing the finished cart 

You might look at some of the metallic Formica - interesting looking and easy to work with. You can repurpose the real metal for bling,

Mine will be far less ambitious than yours - based on a golf bag cart as was my last one.  The cart is in the shop with all the materials on hand - just need to power up. Enjoy seeing your efforts! 

Thanks kid , definitely no need to be sorry . I’m sorry my execution is not better .

if I had my own shop , I think I could do better. My friend who is helping me is a 10 x better craftsman than me .

it all started bad with the plywood- which was the first piece . Thanks so very much for compliments, it definitely will be damn cool when finished. 

Rip , thanks for your comments and suggestions. Lot of BS I have to deal with when I need to rely on numerous people .

its the equipment, space and materials . Mine is somewhat simple, the metal really isn’t bling , just to hide some things I don’t like . I like good stuff in whatever I have and do . I don’t like to settle , and rather wait ( long time ) and do without.

To me , small details  matter very much .

It’s somewhat not how good something looks , but how bad it looked , or would look ........ Think axle on a Harley - stock blah ,

chrome “ plastic “ fake cover - horrible  

real chrome axle ... now we talking .

i will share another pic from today , which sickens me .

i am far from perfect , but I like my stuff to be . When building something, I STRIVE for PERFECTION- because I know I will get it that much closer to looking good . 

1101C7C0-2CC3-4E21-88AE-F8077392CE19.png

So , cleaned up the hideous brass with some oak  trim .

Routered two inlays for case 50’s for the .45 cartridges, and afterwords made another “ frame “ out of black walnut - for smokes n zippo... Also some more copper trim to hide some seams .

80D8383A-CCA3-4C3B-84BB-530A92BCE2A4.png

F7513AAC-9E7E-4CEA-B98B-0309FEE6AF82.png

F635D206-A01F-4ACA-ACE0-34A6A0805524.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! But you might need a fork lift to get it in your vehicle. ;) Not  unlike a lot of large guncarts I have seen people with. Mine has to come apart enough to put in the trunk of my car to transport. 

26 minutes ago, E.D. BLACK said:

Thanks Scout , my original plan wasn’t so wide , but that’s the way it worked out .

Definitely heavy , fortunately I can move it . Don’t know about another ten years , but five shouldn’t be a problem.

Looks nice. You have room to add a winch in the future!

Nice work.

I had steel rimmed wheels just like those on my cart originally.  They proved too narrow on soft or rocky ground, making pushing a real workout.  

I bought a Harbor Freight flat stock Rolling machine for +-$80 and rolled two 1-1/2" wide x 3/16" thick steel rims, which I spot welded over the original 3/4" ones.  Much improved pushing, but still pretty noisy.   

thats a fantastic looking cart , i think it will serve you well , i did not notice the "flaws" you were looking to cover or cancel - it all looked great to me , enjoy 

Archived