SASS Wire Forum

You know it’s a rough neighbourhood when...

Buckshot Bear

3 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Nah they left da Fuel tanks, Batteries and Motor....

Just a bunch of armatures !

Jabez Cowboy

Nothing like going back to the field to cut hay and finding those things missing, and of course they cut enough of the battery cables off so you cant fix them....

True story:

Back in the 70's I walked out of the office to the parking lot and got in my Mazda REPU. I started the engine, put it in reverse and just set there! I thought, oh crap - did I just blow a universal joint? I got out to look and both wheels on the passenger side were missing and the truck was sitting on blocks on the right side!

I went back to my office and called my insurance agent. He was able to find a shop that had two stock Mazda wheels with tires that could come to the office. 

The tire guy came and put the two stock tires on the passenger side and left. 

I started the truck and began to pull out of the parking lot. Then the differential locked up!

Well, the truck had custom white spoked wheels and wide ovals on it and the stock wheels and tires were larger in diameter so the differential locked up due to the difference in size.

The tire guy had left and it was getting late. 

Fortunately, the blocks (wood) that the thieves had placed under my truck were still there so I jacked up one wheel and removed the stock wheel off the front, I then placed the blocks under the frame and went to the opposite side and rear end, jacked up and removed a custom wheel and then installed the stock wheel on the rear so I now had two stock wheels on the rear. I then took the custom wheel to the front and installed it. So now I had different size wheels on the front and rear.

The insurance company replaced the stock with custom wheels but we could not find the same rim width so I accepted two with wider rims and wide oval tires. 

So for the next 40 or so years, my Mazda had wider tires and wheels on the rear than the front and I could not rotate the tires! :(

A 57 Chevy gone!

In the late 60’s I attended night school @ Newark College of Engineering in Newark, NJ. One evening as I walked the length of the campus (3 city blocks) I noticed a nice 57 Chevy parked in a service station on the edge of campus. I thought, “That isn’t a good place to leave a nice car like that.” After a 2 hour class I walked back up campus I saw that the Chevy had been stripped to the frame from the firewall forward, the interior stripped down to sheet metal, the front and rear windows appeared to have been removed rather than smashed and the trunk was gone including the rear fenders which required cutting of sheet metal. This was out in the open, not inside a chop shop where the perps would have been out of sight to passers by. Amazing organizational skills must have been involved. I’ve often thought outright theft would have been easier and simpler.

CJ

Got a Motel room one nite In Chicago, told the Nigh man it had to be ground level, Rolled my Norton in next to the TV.

It was still there in the Morning !

Jabez Cowboy

Years ago I lived in an apartment and owned a 76 Yamaha 650 Twin. The bike needed engine work so I parked it in the carport in my assigned spot up against the wall under the storage compartment, kind of like  this set up:

image.png.907828d5d57cf851a150bfc4ab3b79a7.png

Anyway, I covered the bike completely with a blue tarp and  bungee corded the tarp  around the bike so wind wouldn't pull the tarp off.

The bike sat that way for months.

Then my wife and I bought our first home  and when we were  moving I  removed the tarp  around my bike only to find a wooden carpentry horse with a wooden contraption on top of it to simulate handlebars. Covered it looked like my bike was sitting there. Uncovered there was no bike, but the was a brand new wooden "Burro" horse like the ones Home Depot sells  and some wood put together on top so it looked like my bike was sitting there under the tarp.

I laughed so  hard I almost passed out. Someone had actually done me a favor. I got a new horse out of it and I didn't have to haul that piece of crap bike to me new home. :lol:

Archived