SASS Wire Forum

Hot sauce

I like most hot sauces, not Frank’s but most.

my daughter was in St Lucia and asked if I would like a bottle of their sauce. I said that if it was something that was always on the tables where they ate, then yes. She st yes, it’s St Lucian ketchup.  Not bad.

B8AFB26F-676E-4FCE-99CA-8A2461034C2D.jpeg

Mustard based. Scotch Bonnet pepper. Sounds good!!

Available from Amazon.

I like Tabasco and I can tolerate Franks   The best sauce I’ve ever had was my own   I love eating quail and wanted a sauce. I grew all the peppers and veggies I wanted. Made a killer sauce.  Actually worked on the sauce recipe for over 15 years. Finally got it right   My friends were bugging for some of it. Guess what!  I can’t find the recipe. It’s on a piece of paper somewhere in a recipe book and can’t find it. Now I’m old and tired. If I ever find it I’ll share it. 

My “go to” for hot sauce these days is Tapatio.  I first encountered it on a trip out west back in the late 80s.  We stopped at a taco wagon somewhere and they had it out on the sauce and trimmings table.  I bought a bottle of it and took it home to Tennessee.  

I had just about run out when I found it in a restaurant/grocery on a lunch run. I bought two bottles and before I ran out again, it started showing up in most of the local stores.

Valentina is also excellent. Both have much more body and flavor than Frank’s which I find has too much vinegar and not much real flavor or punch.  

Tabasco is fine for certain foods, like a bowl of pinto beans with chopped onion.

I still have two bottles of the special edition Dave’s Insanity sauce in the little wooden boxes. One has been opened and I use a drop or two in big batches of chili or in one of my jerky recipes.  It’s all heat, no flavor. Worthless for use as a condiment.

I think I’ll order a bottle of the Baron sauce in the OP.  I like trying new tastes…

You'll find Franks, Tabasco, and Cholula in my fridge everyday of the week. Crystal is good as well. I have a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce that I use sparingly if my chili is not hot enough. A "friend" gave me a bottle of Mad Dog 44 Magnum hot sauce. I had to look it up. Dayum! 4 million Scoville units. And it isn't cheap at $45.00 a bottle. I haven't even opened it. :o

One of the things that Tabasco is great for is what my daddy used to call 'brightening' what it's added to. That is, if you're cooking a pot of stew, or soup, or your homemade spaghetti sauce, or such, put in just a couple of dashes of Tabasco. You won't taste the heat, but it will improve the dish. Like just the right amount of salt in such pots, or in oatmeal, or such. It works.

When I'm barbequing salmon on the Weber, I use hickory or alder chips. But as to the fish itself, I smear some olive oil, and one dash of Tabasco, and spread it around. Again, it brightens the flavor without actually showing the heat. 

When it's heat you want, of course you can add it to anything. But it is very versatile as a cooking adjunct.

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

You'll find Franks, Tabasco, and Cholula in my fridge everyday of the week. Crystal is good as well. I have a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce that I use sparingly if my chili is not hot enough. A "friend" gave me a bottle of Mad Dog 44 Magnum hot sauce. I had to look it up. Dayum! 4 million Scoville units. And it isn't cheap at $45.00 a bottle. I haven't even opened it. :o

At that level no need to open the bottle, just wave it over the pot.

I put Frank's on everything except breakfast .

Breakfast needs Tabasco ! 

I’ve found that in general, I like the fot sauces made with the various peppers much more than the sauces containing extracts.  The extracts that are strictly produced for their respective Scovil ratings offer little flavor enhancement and are usually just there for bragging rights.

That same pepper, Ghost, Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, or whatever is way better when the natural flavor and “flesh” of the pepper is incorporated into the sauce.

Nearly all of the extract based sauces are merely some almost tasteless liquid with more or less capsicum added.

Archived