SASS Wire Forum

A little refresh.

Snakebite

SHB pg 23

MDQ

Willful failure to comply with a “Cease Fire” or “Stop” command given by, and while under the positive control of the CRO/TO. 

All other commands the TO give may assist a shooter, or make them aware of a situation that could be penalized. For instance, if the TO sees a hull in the SG, the TO can make the shooter aware of the situation, but the shooter is not obligated to comply and pull the hull from the shotgun. In this instance, there is a 10 second minor safety associated with the infraction, but no additional penalty for not going back and fix it because the TO told the shooter of the problem.

"I was going to just say, "Brother Snakebite, you don' give enough information for a definitive answer."  Then I changed that to "no comment."  But, then I read your real question... and decided to simply say, "...join the club!"   Then I read the "no coaching" comments, and it troubles me.   Like you, Snakebite, I've been around awhile, have seen rule changes galore...   mostly good, some not so;  like TOs.  Regardless of whether coached or not, the current condition of CAS  is such that some coaching is going to be required.

Since entry to major matches is open to all comers, from the newest shooter to former champions, I think we all can recognize that the neophyte cowboy action shooter is going need some coaching.  Until the National & World Championships have some sort of qualifying for entry, I think the best we're going to get is some sort of consistency among TOs.  Let's just start with bringing the next shooter to the line?

Are the brass pickers clear, the KDs reset, spotters & scorekeeper present, AND ready?  Yes to all?  Turn & face the shooter, as you wave them forward, take the time to assess them, point out where the guns are staged, starting position, etc..  Then clearly ask the shooter, "do you understand the course of fire?"  After they indicate in the affirmative, or you answer their question, tell them to  "give me the line when you're ready."   After they've said the line, nodded or otherwise so indicated, tell them "standby, the after a quick one-thousand-one count, give the beep.  Use the instant function... if you're watchin' you'll know if the jumped the beep.  After that, what happens, happens.   I think we all know, "Next VICTIM" isn't a good way to start a shooter on the line!

59 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are the brass pickers clear, the KDs reset, spotters & scorekeeper present, AND ready?  Yes to all?  Turn & face the shooter, as you wave them forward, take the time to assess them, point out where the guns are staged, starting position, etc..  Then clearly ask the shooter, "do you understand the course of fire?"  After they indicate in the affirmative, or you answer their question, tell them to  "give me the line when you're ready." 

That question by the TO was removed from the RO courses many years ago due to the tendency of many shooters to respond by reciting the entire stage scenario...which often took longer than it would to actually shoot it, resulting in unnecessarily extending each posse's time on each stage.

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That question by the TO was removed from the RO courses many years ago due to the tendency of many shooters to respond by reciting the entire stage scenario...which often took longer than it would to actually shoot it, resulting in unnecessarily extending each posse's time on each stage.

I just tell them to give me the line when ready.  If a newish shooter asks a bunch of questions I try to give short answers, then Tell them I will guide them thru. I learned before the handbook change to not ask if they understood the course of fire! 

Do we know the answer to the question?  If the shooter is called back and there is no rd. or case anywhere I thought it was improper coaching.  The TO should  try call back the shooter if possible if the shooter did not fire all rds, has an empty hull anywhere in the rifle but is not required to.

20 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Yea, it depends on how new the shooter is whether I ask the question... but I'm not adverse, nor inexperienced at telling folks to please proceed to the unloading table, study the scenario and try again... I've also done that with VERY nervous shooters...   And over the years, learned that it's quite surprising how quickly you can move a posse along by being consistent in that start up dialog.  then a little push at the end... "... get your guns and get off my stage!"  (Kidding... maybe...)!

As a libertarian, I believe that you can do as you choose, unless there is a specific rule against it - and theretofore, we should have a much more limited Rule Book.

If 10 rules is good enough for The Big Guy upstairs, than why do we need more? 

Maybe because you are a Gamer and you are trying to take advantage of something?

Rule number one - don't shoot nobody.

What else do you need ???

Joke and sarcasm alerts.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:57 AM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

We have added new categories to the SHB this year without a TG vote, and adding new categories used to be in the TG purview as well. With your question, recent events, and taking into consideration of the role of the new advisory board, I don't know the answer. Heck, I don't believe they event had a TG meeting at last year's World Championship (or if they did, the results of which were never published). I believe this year's TG Meeting at EOT is currently scheduled on 3 March at 1715 hours at Parson’s Place. Yours might be an excellent question to ask at that meeting.

I assure you that there was a TG meeting at EOT last year!

1 hour ago, Ya Big Tree said:

I assure you that there was a TG meeting at EOT last year!

Okay, then...where are the minutes posted?

I've been asking since August for minutes of the meeting. All I've gotten was crickets.

Also, don't see any posted on the regular place.

http://www.oowss.com/ROCornerIndex.htm

So I'll stand by my parenthetical statement...(or if they did, the results of which were never published).

If you have minutes of the meeting, I would appreciate you forward them to me. Thank you in advance.

Archived