SASS Wire Forum

Winner winner, chicken dinner

Ezra Hawthorne

For the past decade or so, i've spent about half an hour every day entering sweepstakes forms I find online. I've won little things like a shirt, a hat, a pen, a keychain, a biodegradable kitchen sponge and so on. A year and a half ago I got a phone call informing me I won a rifle. I wasn't completely convinced it was legit but I gave them my info in the off chance it was real. Earlier this week I finally received it: 

22_LaRue_6-5_CM-3ef31-3kc7.jpg

I'm happy to have finally won the big one after all these years and i'm not ungrateful to have received this for the cost of a transfer fee, though I do kinda wish it had been one of the cowboy gun prizes I see appear every once in a while. I'm not at all familiar with Creedmore personally and the ammunition for it is quite expensive at around $50 for a 20 round box. The MSRP was around three grand when I first looked this up, today it's increased to four thousand dollars. It's a seller's market for firearms these days, so i'm mulling over listing it for sale somewhere in hopes of having a bit of disposable income to use on my cowboy things.

I will say, it sure beats a kitchen sponge.

Congratulations !  :)

Back in the long distant '70s I used to catch my school bus at my local shop. This shop was a little "dry goods" store run by an older widow.

This lady had entered a competition on the pack of laundry detergent back in '64 and won a brand new 1964 Ford Falcon sedan.

She proudly displayed it on a shelf of her shop. It was about 5 inches long (bumper to bumper) and made of soft plastic.

Needless to say that she was very, very disappointed. It was, after all, a Nationally run competition and they did advertise the prize as a '64 Falcon vehicle, at least by implication.

The relevant authorities were spoken too and a law came about that if you run such a competition and offered such a prize it had better be "road worthy". However, in order not to put too great a burden on the sponsoring company, the new law was not made retrospective and she got to keep the plastic toy and received no other prize/gift/compensation.   :(

Again .... Congratulations ..... and ENJOY  :D

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Congratulations !  :)

Back in the long distant '70s I used to catch my school bus at my local shop. This shop was a little "dry goods" store run by an older widow.

This lady had entered a competition on the pack of laundry detergent back in '64 and won a brand new 1964 Ford Falcon sedan.

She proudly displayed it on a shelf of her shop. It was about 5 inches long (bumper to bumper) and made of soft plastic.

Needless to say that she was very, very disappointed. It was, after all, a Nationally run competition and they did advertise the prize as a '64 Falcon vehicle, at least by implication.

The relevant authorities were spoken too and a law came about that if you run such a competition and offered such a prize it had better be "road worthy". However, in order not to put too great a burden on the sponsoring company, the new law was not made retrospective and she got to keep the plastic toy and received no other prize/gift/compensation.   :(

Again .... Congratulations ..... and ENJOY  :D

Back in '02. Our local Hooters ran a contest. Whichever waitress sold the most beer would win a new Toyota.

When they took the winning waitress, blindfolded, out into the parking lot to show her her prize, it turned out to be a toy Yoda doll.

She sued.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/former-hooters-waitress-settles-toy-yoda-lawsuit/

• 2 months later...

Some pictures of it:

Larue1.webp.8d4b454bf282dba5461ae866776f8147.webp

Larue2.webp.14c098d8b7ea948517a110a984414e37.webp

So far this thing has been an absolute headache to try to sell; i've had a dozen people referred to me who express interest but then they don't commit to a deal so it fizzles out. Recently someone contacts me through the cowboy club saying he wants to buy it so I scheduled a day and location to make the sale, then he calls back 10 minutes later to say he changed his mind and doesn't want it after all. I bring it to an FFL whose number was given to me and he lists it online, only for him to email me this morning saying the ATF says he can't sell it on my behalf after all. If this doesn't sell at the next gun show I attend then i'm all out of ideas.

3 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Some pictures of it:

So far this thing has been an absolute headache to try to sell; i've had a dozen people referred to me who express interest but then they don't commit to a deal so it fizzles out. Recently someone contacts me through the cowboy club saying he wants to buy it so I scheduled a day and location to make the sale, then he calls back 10 minutes later to say he changed his mind and doesn't want it after all. I bring it to an FFL whose number was given to me and he lists it online, only for him to email me this morning saying the ATF says he can't sell it on my behalf after all. If this doesn't sell at the next gun show I attend then i'm all out of ideas.

image.png.04ead6940a8cf2718c7c44edf12d5f76.pngDrPopCultureBGSU on Twitter: "BR-549: Phone number of Samples' Sales  (Junior Samples' Used Autos) on HEE HAW. #popculture #classiccars #usedcars  #television #1979s https://t.co/5yddRdS0ci" / Twitter  1353868807_ThumbsUp-Emoje.jpg.4eb0733e75d49aa11c0c81b3aa878a7e.jpg

I won a bottle of Peppermint Schnapps once. :(

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Consign at a LGS?

All the stores in my area only sell firearms and don't buy them or sell on anyone else's behalf.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.04ead6940a8cf2718c7c44edf12d5f76.pngDrPopCultureBGSU on Twitter: "BR-549: Phone number of Samples' Sales  (Junior Samples' Used Autos) on HEE HAW. #popculture #classiccars #usedcars  #television #1979s https://t.co/5yddRdS0ci" / Twitter  1353868807_ThumbsUp-Emoje.jpg.4eb0733e75d49aa11c0c81b3aa878a7e.jpg

I don't understand this reference.

44 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

post it here on classifieds

I don't have my SASS number because I was waiting to acquire my cowboy guns first, but I can't afford all of them yet because I don't have the funds because I haven't sold the LaRue. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Some pictures of it:

I question why an FFL can't transfer to a buyer???

Hmmmmm...

Give Cowboy Guns 2.0 in Clarksville, Tx a call.

Ask for Tbone.

Might even be able to 'trade' for a Cowboy gun. Maybe... you won't know untill you ask!

6.5 Creedmore is an awesome long range round and it's even better using handloaded ammo. Larue is also top notch kit. Very pricy too.

Congrats

JEL 

3 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Some pictures of it:

Bull. I’ve doe it several time through my local FFL. He just didn’t want to, so he blamed it on ATF. 

01 - Dealer in Firearms other than Destructive Devices

07 - Manufacturer

Both can do what what you need done if they are willing.

Archived