SASS Wire Forum

Filet mignon

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Every so often I get an urge to splurge and get a filet mignon.  Never cooked one before last night, but a prepared meal is more than I have paid for a car in the past.  Soooooo, I took a gamble that my cooking wouldn't be too bad.

Menu was to be filet mignon, mashed Idaho spud with butter and salt and pepper, garlic toast, and a Trader Joe's mushroom medley with sweet tea to wash itall down with.

Before I go on let me tell you that the mushrooms were terrible.  Next time I'll get some fresh mushrooms and make my own.  Back to the subject:

If you don't have one, go get a good cast iron skillet.  It's worth the $25.00 or so for the nine incher I bought.

I got a nice seven ounce filet, trimmed off all the fat that I could and set out on my adventure.

Bring the meat to room temperature, liberally (I hate that word), cover it all over with fresh ground black pepper and Real Salt brand salt.  

Put it in the fridge for an hour.

Make the potatoes and set them aside.

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or something similar that will work with high heat in your skillet.  Just as it starts to smoke, put your steak in for about five minutes.

After five minutes turn the meat over and add  teaspoon of chopped Rosemary leaves and a tablespoon of real butter and cook it for another five minutes.

Pan and all goes in the preheated oven for five minutes. (adjust the time if you don't like medium rare steak)

This is the time to make your garlic toast and nuke the potatoes so they'll be hot.

You might want to heat a dinner plate now, too.

When the time is up turn everything off, pat the steak dry with a paper towel and get to eating.

Now comes the bragging part:  I was very satisfied with the steak.  I have paid a lot more for something not anywhere near as good.  Next time I'll leave the Rosemary off because I couldn't taste it all.  I'll also add a smidge of garlic to the butter, and I'll heat the plate.

And I'll have a slice of Dutch apple pie and a wedge of extra sharp cheddar cheese for dessert.

Bon Appetit.

Chef Forty.

That's pretty much how I cook a tenderloin.  Brown it on both sides, then 5 min at 400 in the oven. I don't use Rosemary but, I sprinkle a tad of garlic powder on them along with the salt and pepper.  Forty is right about the price, Wow.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Every so often I get an urge to splurge and get a filet mignon.  Never cooked one before last night, but a prepared meal is more than I have paid for a car in the past.  Soooooo, I took a gamble that my cooking wouldn't be too bad.

Menu was to be filet mignon, mashed Idaho spud with butter and salt and pepper, garlic toast, and a Trader Joe's mushroom medley with sweet tea to wash itall down with.

Before I go on let me tell you that the mushrooms were terrible.  Next time I'll get some fresh mushrooms and make my own.  Back to the subject:

If you don't have one, go get a good cast iron skillet.  It's worth the $25.00 or so for the nine incher I bought.

I got a nice seven ounce filet, trimmed off all the fat that I could and set out on my adventure.

Bring the meat to room temperature, liberally (I hate that word), cover it all over with fresh ground black pepper and Real Salt brand salt.  

Put it in the fridge for an hour.

Make the potatoes and set them aside.

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or something similar that will work with high heat in your skillet.  Just as it starts to smoke, put your steak in for about five minutes.

After five minutes turn the meat over and add  teaspoon of chopped Rosemary leaves and a tablespoon of real butter and cook it for another five minutes.

Pan and all goes in the preheated oven for five minutes. (adjust the time if you don't like medium rare steak)

This is the time to make your garlic toast and nuke the potatoes so they'll be hot.

You might want to heat a dinner plate now, too.

When the time is up turn everything off, pat the steak dry with a paper towel and get to eating.

Now comes the bragging part:  I was very satisfied with the steak.  I have paid a lot more for something not anywhere near as good.  Next time I'll leave the Rosemary off because I couldn't taste it all.  I'll also add a smidge of garlic to the butter, and I'll heat the plate.

And I'll have a slice of Dutch apple pie and a wedge of extra sharp cheddar cheese for dessert.

Bon Appetit.

Chef Forty.

Trim off all the fat? That is where the flavor is.

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

It's up to you, but if you order a filet mignon in any fancy restaurant it is likely to be as fatless as possible and the taste, if it is done right, is amazingly good.

I also trim off as much fat as I can. If you’re set on the fat, cook it down in the oil and butter in the skillet and baste the juices over the filet as you brown it. When you pull it back out of the oven, baste it immediately one more time before plating.

Serve it with a slice of garlic-herb compound butter for a great taste.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/garlic-herb-compound-butter-steak/

--Dawg

I almost always charcoal grill mine but oven roasted is also excellent. It is my favorite steak. Recently, the local market has started carrying Prime cuts. They are heavenly!

Just now, Grass Range said:

Fat blocks arteries.  Back in the 50's when I was in Jr High, we had a teacher that told us to make sure that we eat all the fat on meat as it lubricates your joints.  How little did they know in those days. Just like that old radio commercial, "More doctors recommend Lucky Strike cigarettes." 

13 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Sounds great. But rosemary is for pork and lamb in my view, not for beef.

Stopped using it on lamb unless the Leg is all going to be eaten because the flavor doesn't work with leftover lamb curry.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Fat blocks arteries.  Back in the 50's when I was in Jr High, we had a teacher that told us to make sure that we eat all the fat on meat as it lubricates your joints.  How little did they know in those days. Just like that old radio commercial, "More doctors recommend Lucky Strike cigarettes." 

A close friend of mine who is a biologist said fat is fine. No need to eliminate it completely. All things in moderation.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

They'll be impressed.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

They'll be impressed.

The particular ones I'm thinking of raise beef.  I get a side from them every year and split it up with the kids. They love Rib Eye.

22 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Cast Iron generally - can go stovetop to sear, oven to finish.  Best to use a good instant thermometer.

Lol very seldom I use a stovetop for steaks . I follow the 3 minute timer 2-4 minutes flip 2-4 and done  rare  . Fun Fact is 777 is the ranch they use for Buffalo in Dances with Wolves . 

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Lol very seldom I use a stovetop for steaks . I follow the 3 minute timer 2-4 minutes flip 2-4 and done  rare  . Fun Fact is 777 is the ranch they use for Buffalo in Dances with Wolves . 

Prefer the grill, it is currently broke down with a new one waiting to be assembled when warm weather hits.. Till then,  have a good downdraft so I don't smoke up the house.

I’ve been known to grill while it’s snowing. As long as it’s not snowing sideways.m:lol:

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’ve been known to grill while it’s snowing. As long as it’s not snowing sideways.m:lol:

Me too, unfortunately the old grill isn't safe, and the new one is still in various cartons.

18 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

My arteries have worked for this many years so I will not worry now

Archived