SASS Wire Forum

ukraine news source question

Trigger Mike

what is a good source for information on the war there?  It bothers me to go to news sources where they show pictures of abandoned teddy bears and tearful mothers crying.  those are just designed to provoke emotional support .  I like to deal in facts.  I was the same way about the virus.  I checked the facts about the numbers each day to determine how I needed to respond based on my area.  

I saw a video earlier on fox news website where a tow truck driver from the Ukraine stopped to talk to russian tank crews who ran out of gas.  How accurate is it that the russians are so ill prepared that they have run out of gas?  How accurate is it that they came across without night vision?  Several of my neighbors have night vision.  The local hardware store sells night vision and thermal vision.  How come they do not have it?  

While I am glad their progress has been slower than anticipated, aren't thy going to look awful stupid if they fail?  Assuming they do fail, what will they do to save face?

The problem is that there are  numerous reporters on the ground there. Not all are experienced war correspondents and their stories are filled with inaccuracies. Their concern is to get dramatic footage. Give that the situation is fluid and confusing as is most armed conflicts I don’t take much stock in what a lot of them say. 

So there are maybe three reporters “on the ground”. They each have a one person view of the conflict. From this they might film five news bites to send in. The home studio receives 15 or more stories and selects two or thee to broadcast and edits those down to cutout a ton of things.  Do you think you really get a picture of what’s happening?

and you will never get a theater wide report.

Re equipment: Russia, just because a unit was issued equipment doesn't mean it made it down to the company level. Paperwork might show that but things fall off trucks ya know.

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Fox News has great coverage . They have reporters over there in the thick of it.

About that , war is viewers , viewers = money . All news should be banned from war , the general population can’t handle what happens 

Question all you hear Snake Island Hoax . Ukraine Is stopping men trying to leave with families and forcing them to fight they are no better than the Russians   / 

698D9651-BD11-47D5-93C0-6BC7AF8F03AB.jpeg

Longtime shortwave listener here.
I understand the BBC, and shortwave stations in Italy and Poland, have added programming directed at Ukraine.
Also found this:

New shows to Ukraine: Poland, Romania, Great Britain, Italy.
- On big waves 153 kHz, Romania has replaced its program "Antena Satelor" with the news and pop & rock channel "Radio Romania Actualitati".
- On high waves 225 kHz, Polish radio started broadcasting a few minutes newspaper in Ukraine twice a day, seven out of seven days, right after the "Jedynka News", at 10:00 and 5:00 p.m. (Ukraine Time= UTC+2)
These two broadcasters want to take advantage of the extraordinary coverage provided by broadwaves emiters that cover, from home, the entire territory of Ukraine.
- On short waves, BBC adds 2 Ukraine short wave broadcasts on 5875 kHz from 8pm to 10pm UTC and 15735 kHz from 14:00-16:00 UTC
- On short waves WRMI takes over Radio Ukraine International from 12:00 to 13:00 UTC on 50190 kHz.
- On average waves, NEXUS-International Broadcasting Association of Milan in Italy announces an increase in power to 1323 kHz and proposes to broadcast for Eastern countries from 7pm to 11pm CET, i.e. after the end of the statio broadcasts Romanian regional of Targu Mures.
- On average waves 1386 khz also broadcasts news in Ukraine.
UPDATE: 26/02/2020 Radio Ukraine is trying to leave all its medium wave transmitters active (even those that were out of service)
- Ukraine's frequencies to watch are:
549 kHz Mykolaiv Luch 400 kW
657 kHz Chernivtsy
837 kHz Taranivka 150 kW
873 kHz Chasiv Yar 50 kW
1278 kHz RUI Odessa 100 kW
1431 kHz RUI Petrivka
1413 kHz Radio Vesti Station Russian Putin from Moldova
1386 kHz Radio Liberty Station of RFE-RL) in Viesintos Lithuania
Currently Radio Ukraine only broadcasts one program and the transmitters broadcast as much as they can, because the broadcast is random and foreign languages broadcasts are deleted.
Thank you to the followers and friends of the World Radios page located in Romania, Belarus, Russia and Ukraine for their information that they communicate with me on the broadcasters.
Good luck also to the Ukrainian radio journalist who follows this page.
Michel Fremy

As Paul Harvey said, "For what it's worth!"
I've heard Al-Jazeera and the BBC (not BBC America) recommended for a more accurate report.

Same, BBC or Al Jazeera are generally credible news sources and I've found Rantburg.com,  strategypage.com and smallwarsjournal.com/blog to be credible blogs

Keep in mind ANY reporting is suspect and if possible, should be confirmed through separate sources.  Things change rapidly during war and the average reporter isn't qualified to determine if things are going right or wrong.

I don't find any American MSM source to be credible (and yes, I mean Fox too), the Left side is mostly concerned with making Biden look good and the Right side is mostly concerned about making Biden look bad and both sides will ignore any facts that don't suit the viewpoint they are trying to push.

I have seen the Foxnews pic of the wooden traing guns a couple times. 

About a week before the invasion when russian troops were exercising on the border there were news articles about the equivalent of reserve auxiliary training for civilians. 

If you look to the left of the image there is a training officers arm in camo with unit patch. For a quickie 'in case we get invaded' small squad training I ain't giving new dudes live rifles either. 

It was week 4 in basic IIRC before we had live fire training BUT we carried rubber dummy rifles everywhere.

7 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Question all you hear Snake Island Hoax . Ukraine Is stopping men trying to leave with families and forcing them to fight they are no better than the Russians   / 

Would this idea apply to the compulsory draft in the US in WWII: requiring able-bodied men to fight for their country?

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Would this idea apply to the compulsory draft in the US in WWII: requiring able-bodied men to fight for their country?

We didnt shoot them for trying to leave Now did we ? They are  Fight or be killed  run you will be killed  .  Follow the money Also Funny how 4 prominent sons all work in Ukrainian energy , All have zero experience , Romney , Pelosi , Biden , and Kerry  

IMG_7584.jpg

I talked with a friend of mine by phone. He is a PhD professor of international and military history, not to mention having been an armored cav commander in 'Nam.  He said he is amazed that the Russian armor was moving so slowly, which is why they were getting beaten up by the Ukrainians.  He said, the proper way to use armor is to move fast and punch through enemy lines.  I'll take his word for it. My experience, back in the sixties was aiming looong range mortars, which thankfully never had to be fired, and hopefully never will!

That is the only way armor gives you an advantage is the speed.  It was the same with cavalry.  Rush thru the lines and divide and conquer.  Makes me think either putin does not really want to capture it but only wants a vichy style government imposed or the russian soldiers don't care or the russian army is out of money .

10 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I talked with a friend of mine by phone. He is a PhD professor of international and military history, not to mention having been an armored cav commander in 'Nam.  He said he is amazed that the Russian armor was moving so slowly, which is why they were getting beaten up by the Ukrainians.  He said, the proper way to use armor is to move fast and punch through enemy lines.  I'll take his word for it. My experience, back in the sixties was aiming looong range mortars, which thankfully never had to be fired, and hopefully never will!

The very muddy conditions in the Ukraine right now is apparently restricting armor & mechanized units to mostly the roads. 
I've also heard bits & pieces that suggest that the conscripted Russian infantry is unwilling to screen the armor & mechanized units, which makes them very vulnerable to man portable anti tank weapons especially in urban areas.

I hope it never comes to this, but the silver lining is that US and the better NATO armored units are much, much better than what we are seeing from the Russian armor, which is either unwilling or incapable of fighting at night.

On edit:  https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Kyiv+Kiev+Ukraine?canonicalCityId=0b66fcc8c4490e8b96bcf6af087a80df429e7ce442645cf1a27546703dbd551a

Yuck, cold enough make things really miserable for fighting, but not cold enough to freeze the ground really hard

I don't know if Putin is sane or not. He certainly is exhibiting some signs that he might be off the rails. My first thought would be to counter his threats by some sort of counter threat...like going to DEFCON 3.  But that might really set him off, so the best thing to do is what we are doing right now...basically staying calm and watching him.  I still hope that his cronies will get fed up with the quagmire he has gotten into in Ukraine, and remove him from office.  It looks like some of the economic sanctions may be working.  The ruble is now worth less than a U.S. penny!  The Russian stock market has crashed...down 40%! 

God Bless and Save Ukraine!

According to reports, a Russian column of armor and other vehicles extends 40 miles along one road! :o  It is too bad that some "washed clean" F-15E's, F-35's, A-10's or maybe some other unidentified aircraft couldn't hit that column. Talk about a target-rich environment.  But it would be a question of who would fly them. (Hmmm...remember when Russky pilots were flying MiG-15's over Korea and MiG-21's over North Viet Nam? What was sauce for the Bear... oh, never mind!)  

BTW, one radio station in N. America was touting a Ukrainian Foreign Legion for those interested.  According to this announcement, you had to have either police or military experience, but also must have served in combat! :ph34r:  Sorta sounds like the AVG in China or the volunteers that formed the IDF Air Force in Israel in 1948.  

Stay tuned...

For news I have been getting updates from Ted Cruz in his Verdict podcast.  He's privy to congressional intelligence briefings, has been a longtime activist on foreign policies related to this conflict.  His biases are well understood, I prefer news sources where the biases are open so you can make your own decisions about the data provided instead of the fake news sources that claim to have no bias.  I also have some family ties in Ukraine that I'm not going to elaborate on here for their protection.  It's old news at this point, but where the Russians have occupied, my family sources tell me food and water are very hard to find, leading up to Russia's advance on Kiev, non-Ukrainian friends were having difficulty leaving the city as it was nearly impossible to find enough fuel to get them out of the country.  I'm praying for God to frustrate the Russians and that they will go back the way they came.  the sooner the better, it's a grim time.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:46 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

According to reports, a Russian column of armor and other vehicles extends 40 miles along one road! :o  It is too bad that some "washed clean" F-15E's, F-35's, A-10's or maybe some other unidentified aircraft couldn't hit that column. Talk about a target-rich environment.  But it would be a question of who would fly them. (Hmmm...remember when Russky pilots were flying MiG-15's over Korea and MiG-21's over North Viet Nam? What was sauce for the Bear... oh, never mind!)  

BTW, one radio station in N. America was touting a Ukrainian Foreign Legion for those interested.  According to this announcement, you had to have either police or military experience, but also must have served in combat! :ph34r:  Sorta sounds like the AVG in China or the volunteers that formed the IDF Air Force in Israel in 1948.  

Stay tuned...

Imagine being the pilot of a ground/armour attack aircraft and seeing this when you look down.

A few quick Wild Weasel passes for anti-air suppression and then to work.

AAAnother Russian Sat Pic of column 8610000-0a00-0242-09fe-08d9faed39ef_w1023_s.jpg

AAARussian Armour column 01cc0000-0aff-0242-636c-08d9fb52ba07_w1023_s.jpg

10 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Imagine being the pilot of a ground/armour attack aircraft and seeing this when you look down.

A few quick Wild Weasel passes for anti-air suppression and then to work.

AAAnother Russian Sat Pic of column 8610000-0a00-0242-09fe-08d9faed39ef_w1023_s.jpg

AAARussian Armour column 01cc0000-0aff-0242-636c-08d9fb52ba07_w1023_s.jpg

A few of our

pilots know that feeling

image.jpeg.63e48bce95b1b116dc7521e37309b1aa.jpeg

The Highway of Death was the result of an American-led bombing of a highway  full of fleeing Iraqis during the Persian Gulf War. Kuwait, 1991 : r/pics

Bet more than one wants to experience that feeling again. ;)

I have not seen an A10 in a couple weeks. Hmmm. Bet those pictures get them guys just a twitchin!

Saw where millions of Russians are getting their news from the BBC also. They don't trust their media any more than we do.

Archived