SASS Wire Forum

Frontier Cartridge Smoke Factor Cross Reference

Not Dead Ed

17 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

If you have to ask, you ain’t.

But for the BP subs that smoke different, how do ya know.   Or do ya just smoke em if ya got em. 

4 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

You can fit 1cc Black powder in a 32H&R and it will meet the current smoke factor.

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Then why not use a 32H&R Mag, with specs, for the Standard?

I already answered that question.

REF also:

Through testing of various loads, it has been determined that 1cc of blackpowder, in either a .32, .38, .44 or .45 caliber case, all produce approximately the same amount of smoke (see Blackpowder – Testing section for additional requirements). Before deciding on any reduced loads, a competitor should test them to ensure they meet the base line standards.

SHB p.26

I just make sure I am above the 15 grain rule and I don't crowd it and all is fine . But I am just trying to beat my brother ha ha But don't want to win not legal . I have saw the guy shoot that won e o t 21 F C  shoot And he has plenty of smoke and was FAST 

Did find it was hard to get 1 cc of Pinacle in the 32 H&R case without some compression.  About .9 cc was my guess with the bullet I was using at the time.  Never heard any comments about not making enough smoke but have heard a few RO moaning about the smoke before I even started shooting.  Just my $0.02 worth...

I make my own powder and one of my biggest concerns was making enough smoke. The first few times I used it I asked several people to let me know if it was enough smoke. I was assured I wouldn't have a problem meeting minimum smoke factor with it. I run 18 grains of 2f under a 200gr projectile in my 44wcf. 

As for challenging someone's loads I've seen it once. I've only been to a couple larger matches. That particular shooter had to find different ammo to finish the match. 

I have shot black powder on occasion, for fun, but I've never actually shot in a black powder *category.*    For example, the first time I shot black, I only intended to use it in my antique revolver, with my modern guns shooting smokeless, so I shot the match "Duelist."   Another time, I had more than enough for my rifle and pistols, but only enough SG ammo for about half a match.   (Shot it '49er)  On a more generic level, I am still trying to work out a good balance between recoil and using black in the shotgun.   I don't know if my loads meet the minimal standard for smoke, but I did have fun the couple of times I tried it.   :)

Does this look like enough smoke to you?   Rifle and Pistols are .45 Colt.   Looks like 1st and 4th shotgun rounds were black, the rest smokeless.  

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have shot black powder on occasion, for fun, but I've never actually shot in a black powder *category.*

Does this look like enough smoke to you? 

If you are not shooting in a black powder category, the amount of smoke you make does not matter, no matter the propellant being used. You are governed by power factor requirements.

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

If you are not shooting in a black powder category, the amount of smoke you make does not matter, no matter the propellant being used. You are governed by power factor requirements.

Oh, I know, and that's one of the reasons I don't shoot a BP category.   I was just wondering if the smoke was generically impressive.  :)

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, I know, and that's one of the reasons I don't shoot a BP category.   I was just wondering if the smoke was generically impressive.  :)

Your loads smoked enough, but to be impressive will usually need a lack of wind.  A .38 on a humid still morning will be much more impressive than a .45 on a breezy afternoon.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Your loads smoked enough, but to be impressive will usually need a lack of wind.  A .38 on a humid still morning will be much more impressive than a .45 on a breezy afternoon.

A few years ago, a local club was having a "black powder shoot."  It wasn't a SASS type event.   More of a bring what you've got and shoot at our targets.    One thing specifically mentioned was the British Martini rifle, for example.   Well, I loaded up some .303 British for use in my Martini, as well as a buncha .44-40 for use in my Henry and a pair of old Colts.    Anyway, having about 20 guys in a long line, mostly with muzzle loaders, Trapdoors and other single shot rifles, made for a lot of lingering smoke.   But when I let loose with the Henry. I got a lot of curious looks and fun smiles.   Not only was there a LOT of smoke around where I was standing, but the vast majority of the shooters there had never seen a repeater shooting black powder before.   They were rather impressed.

17 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The Middletown, Ohio club range is in a ravine that gets very little breeze. On humid summer days the Black Powder Posse could lay on a screen that would obscure targets and kill skeeters. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The Middletown, Ohio club range is in a ravine that gets very little breeze. On humid summer days the Black Powder Posse could lay on a screen that would obscure targets and kill skeeters. 

Thats my home club and you are 100% correct. First time I shot black powder there I couldn't see any of my targets, after the first couple shots. It was a great experience, lots of fun.

18 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

A few years ago, a local club was having a "black powder shoot."  It wasn't a SASS type event.   More of a bring what you've got and shoot at our targets.    One thing specifically mentioned was the British Martini rifle, for example.   Well, I loaded up some .303 British for use in my Martini, as well as a buncha .44-40 for use in my Henry and a pair of old Colts.    Anyway, having about 20 guys in a long line, mostly with muzzle loaders, Trapdoors and other single shot rifles, made for a lot of lingering smoke.   But when I let loose with the Henry. I got a lot of curious looks and fun smiles.   Not only was there a LOT of smoke around where I was standing, but the vast majority of the shooters there had never seen a repeater shooting black powder before.   They were rather impressed.

We had a night shoot a couple of years ago. I shot 44/40s and a 10 Gauge shotgun with BP. Plenty of smoke, and some impressive fire!

3913933C-9191-42AD-A032-BA2D8AB72E96.jpeg

Archived