SASS Wire Forum

Remember when....

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fifty-six years ago, when I was a Minuteman I Targeting and Alignment Team Chief, we used Addiators to add up measured angles! It got somewhat tricky because we were dealing in degrees, minutes and seconds of an arc, and, if you were tired, you could make mistakes. Fortunately, I didn't make many, and usually my assistant team chief would double check.  But that was all we had.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I remember it at half that during some price wars in the late 50s.

i remember these price wars and having to pump the gas up into the visible 5 gal glass top then dispense it by gravity , those old pumps go for a pretty penny these days to collectors/old car enthusiasts , 

On 2/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Did you guys have these in America? My mates and I (hey we weren't perfect back then) used to pop the caps of the bottles and use a straw......thankfully we never got caught.

Coca-Cola-Slider.jpg.50638596264d397f130ba2b28d8d6a28.jpg

dd3126b51b2047d9cd50fb368a1a6eb5.jpg.b05fe63d98916965cc7e225a4042e8e6.jpg

I remember one that had no electricity in a gas station where my dad filled up: a block of ice and a mechanical chute.  I'd go in after school and the owner would give me a bottle of Coke (or root beer, Orange Crush, or Cream Soda) for getting a block of ice from the shop next door (maybe 25 pounds) and putting it in the machine.  I had to drain the water into a pan underneath first and haul it outside to empty it in the flower bed by the office and mop up afterward.

All for a dime's worth of Coke.  We'd keep the caps and pull the cork out then put the cap on our shirt and use the cork on the inside to hold it in place. 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Remember when a man would come to your house and fix your tv?

Yes, and a great lesson for my life later on.  Mr. Rindlesbacher (SP?) came over with his "box" and tested the tubes, replaced one, and charged Dad three dollars.

"Three dollars for a tube, Dan?  That seems a lot."

"Tom, the tube is seventy cents.  The difference is for knowing which tube to change."  Dad grinned and told me "Remember this.  It's the old 'I know more than you do.  Pay me.' principle." 

I made a decent living by charging folks for what I knew that they didn't.  Most of then become long time clients and sent their friends to me  as well.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:17 PM, watab kid said:

yes i did , it was a good long time ago and dont recall what age but have to guess when they were new , i was really happy to get it , 

Had a "coon skin" hat and USA  (blue)and CSA (gray) kepis, too.  Cheap pressed and flocked paper.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, DeaconKC said:

I still love using fountain pens.

I was a Third Grader before I learned the ink well on my desk was not for dipping pigtails.

Mrs. Mary Barker had ways of emphasizing behavior corrections.

Scene. Mrs Mary's 1st grade classroom.  I'm happily chewing on my pencil.  Mrs Mary walked by my desk and said "Jimmy, we don't chew our pencils in 1st Grade".  I gave the only possible answer "Yes, Mrs Mary". She took another step and I stuck my pencil back in my mouth. She slapped my clear out of my seat.  Results? You will not find a pencil any where in my vicinity that has toothmarks.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Remember this.  It's the old 'I know more than you do.  Pay me.' principle." 

It was a TV show back in the 60s. Fury. Ranch somewhere out west, and a teenage boy with a single father and an old scrawny weathered looking ranch hand named Pete. And Fury the black stallion.

Like many popular TV shows back then, Whitman classics released novels based on the show, and I had one. The only thing I remember about it was they found an unexploded bomb on the range. Leftover World War II ordnance? Anyway they get this guy sent out from Washington, and he looks at it for a little bit, then opens up his toolbox and takes out a screwdriver and removes two screws. Tells 'em that it was safe now.

Pete wanted to know how much money he made for doing that, and the guy tells him $50. Now remember - this was the early 60s. $50 was a whole damn buttload of money.

And Pete is outraged. "$50!? For removing two screws??!"

And the guy says, "No. I charge a dime apiece for removing those two screws. $49.80 is for knowing which two screws to remove."

I was thinking of a favorite local restaurant that closed down some time ago, before the WWW and figured I’d look it up. They served a Bavarian buffet and German beer in mugs, celebrated Octoberfest, etc. I found references to eBay for matchbooks and placemats, and a lawyer who handled the closure.

The Drygala Haus

16 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

C71CA9E9-F76F-4444-8771-1DE483174786.jpeg

Remember going with my Mom to the green stamp store. They handed them out everywhere back then. Us kids got to lick em and put em in the little books!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Remember going with my Mom to the green stamp store. They handed them out everywhere back then. Us kids got to lick em and put em in the little books!

got my first fishing rod at coast to coast , a landing net with green stamps , 

We washed our hands in carbon tetrachloride.  Always kept a little bottle for cleaning my typewriter keys.

25 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Used trichlorethelene to clean parts on nukes, didn’t worry much about ventilation.

Was washing parts one day in a 5 gallon bucket of trike. Later was driving down the street and saw the road was blocked off and there was a HazMat team. On the news that night they explained that there had been a spill, of one pint of 1.1.1 trichlorethylene. They evacuated two city blocks while it was being cleaned up.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Our house was furnished by the S&H Green Stamp company....and give away stuff from gas stations and laundry detergent and flour and the like.

Yeah.  Dragging Main Street in my '54 Dodge hard top (later a '57 Chevy 210 sedan....terrible car), trolling for girls.  Sometimes we'd take my friends' cars, a '51 Buick or a 54 Ford.  We'd stop at the A&W at the north end of town and pick up root beer in those big containers.  Grab a bag of fries apiece and drive three miles down to the split in the road and back, maybe five or six times a night.  Gas was between 17 and 23 cents a gallon depending on the current price war.

i remember cruising the strip - before i knew my dad was checking my mileage - not sure why he did that really , my car , my gas , my money , but he asked where we [friends and i had gone] i said up and down the strip a couple times , he wondered how long the strip was to rack up over 250 miles ? i didnt have a good answer then and still dont .......

20 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i remember cruising the strip - before i knew my dad was checking my mileage - not sure why he did that really , my car , my gas , my money , but he asked where we [friends and i had gone] i said up and down the strip a couple times , he wondered how long the strip was to rack up over 250 miles ? i didnt have a good answer then and still dont .......

My Dad asked me how it took me 70 miles to go get a pizza.

48 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

598689796_Screenshot2022-07-07125114.jpg.666bdc3d723e4a7093c571de8478d821.jpg

Yep, and “Don’t stand there with your mouth open you’ll catch flies!”

CJ

On 7/6/2022 at 4:29 AM, Texas Joker said:

1864343110_4002991117712.jpg.51a08b3ccd859f707f05fca5ce08cde3.jpg 

Big gulps and drive in beer came in waxed cardboard cartons?

I remember the milk in cartons for a while there was actually excess wax that would fall off when you opened them. Later they perfected the cartons. Sodas at burger joints weren't as big as today. About 1972-3 I'd get a quart of A&W root beer that came in a megaphone shaped carton. And of course paper straws.

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

image.jpeg.0a8772f5ab3103214e2594038acc5cb7.jpeg

It’s funny that people think this makes you old…or is it? :lol:

image.jpeg.b20bb466d2b5f8e048ffcdb62dd1b4be.jpeg

Funny, Granddad worked for the phone company most of his life.  When colorful phones first came out, we got a green one, first in the neighborhood, because a customer had stained the handset by picking it up with hair dye on her hands

That is quite a saucy benchmark!

Archived