SASS Wire Forum

Remember when....

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Did anyone have a Fort Apache set? How about a Davy Crockett coon skin cap and powder horn and single shot pistol?B)

yes i did , it was a good long time ago and dont recall what age but have to guess when they were new , i was really happy to get it , 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who here remembers when you could make a payphone ring back until someone picked it up and stood back and watched how many people you could trick with it?

So, here are the bulk of my wristwatches. I have several others that are non-functional that were gifts that I haven't brought myself to get rid of, but I don't think can be repaired. A couple of the ones in the picture are in dire need of service, and I need to get them in at my first chance. Some very nice ones, a couple of very basic ones. From left to right:

Fossil Automatic. Believe it or not, found in a box of drug paraphernalia that my youngest daughter's ex-boyfriend left behind when she realized what was going on and gave him the boot. One time when I was a horrible judge of character. She tried to get it back to him (sans paraphernalia) to no avail, so I wear it now.

Marvin Martian. Made for Warner Bros. by Fossil. A gift from my mother-in-law some twenty years ago. Marvin was always my favorite WB character.

TAG Heuer Formula One, late 1980's vintage. A gift from Mrs. Doc before she added the "Mrs. to her name.

Timex. No frills except the Indiglo lighting. I needed a watch for wear when I was working retail and didn't want to damage any of my nicer watches.

Omega Speedmaster. My father-in-law gave it to me a couple of years before he passed. He had worn it for a number of years prior to giving it to me.

Omega Seamaster, mid 1960's vintage. My father-in-law bought it while in the Navy about the time Mrs. Doc was born. She had it serviced and gave it to me for Father's Day a couple of years ago. I cried.

Citizen Eco-Drive Chronometer. Our jewelers (Yes, I know how pretentious that sounds) decided to retire and put their Citizen watches on sale for just above cost. I couldn't resist a gift to myself.

IMG_1579.thumb.jpg.8a3a0ae7c27b0febb29345c147107bce.jpg

i remember in college engineering class being told that our post versalog slide rules were out and we had to guy a "calculator" capable of what was needed - i bought the HP35 , it was a real eye opener , but i think my current phone can make it look like a slide rule , 

35 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i remember in college engineering class being told that our post versalog slide rules were out and we had to guy a "calculator" capable of what was needed - i bought the HP35 , it was a real eye opener , but i think my current phone can make it look like a slide rule , 

When the HP 80 programmable calculator came out it had no pre programmed functions. You had to load a magnetic "slide" for any function. One engineering student bought one when it came out (it cost about $800 in 1973 which would be about $5000 now). This calculator panicked one of the electrical engineering professors so much that he required the student to place a piece of tape over the slide reader so the student could not cheat by using a "programmed" slide with the answers! So the professor basically turned this expensive calculator into a four function calculator.:(

i remember that HP80 back in 73 , it seemed somewhat complicated back then but im sure thats all relative and i recall one class it could not be used in , 

On 2/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hey, I got that old dollar watch down to dust it and noticed the second hand was moving.

I wound it carefully and so far it has kept perfect time for two days.  Think I'll carry it for awhile and she how long she lasts.

Well, It lasted three and a half days and now it's busted again.

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I can remember when you only needed one key for a pickup truck.

My first and oldest car was a '60 - had 2.  My pickup is a '79 and has 2 as well, no idea why since it doesn't have a trunk.  Makes sense, one key for a truck - would love to know how far back there was just one key.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

My first and oldest car was a '60 - had 2.  My pickup is a '79 and has 2 as well, no idea why since it doesn't have a trunk.  Makes sense, one key for a truck - would love to know how far back there was just one key.

As far back as I can recall, the trunk has always had a separate key. But that's all it used to open - the trunk. Then sometime in the late sixties/early seventies some genius decided that they would make the trunk key also unlock the doors, and the only thing the ignition key would be for is the ignition. Before that time, since they had no trunk, a pickup truck needed no trunk key, and only had one. But after that, since they had doors, they needed to have door keys.

My brother had a 67 Chevy pickup. It had one key. He later had a 71 International Scout. It had one key. I had a 69 Ford pickup. It had one key.

I currently have an 81 Ford Bronco and an 86 Chevy pickup, and although neither one has a trunk, they have two keys.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have an elderly friend who has a collection of over fifty Parker fountain pens and a lot have matching mechanical pencils.

my mother collected those , wish i had payed attention then i might still have them , i think there were some very valuable items that i suspect went to the dump or the good will back then , 

what i really regret loosing was the cast iron cookware - that was high quality and well seasoned , this actually means more to me now than the value of the pens , 

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

As far back as I can recall, the trunk has always had a separate key. But that's all it used to open - the trunk. Then sometime in the late sixties/early seventies some genius decided that they would make the trunk key also unlock the doors, and the only thing the ignition key would be for is the ignition. Before that time, since they had no trunk, a pickup truck needed no trunk key, and only had one. But after that, since they had doors, they needed to have door keys.

My brother had a 67 Chevy pickup. It had one key. He later had a 71 International Scout. It had one key. I had a 69 Ford pickup. It had one key.

I currently have an 81 Ford Bronco and an 86 Chevy pickup, and although neither one has a trunk, they have two keys.

Also, I am running a 1993 Ford Bronco, and I have 3 keys, Ignition, doors, and tail-gate/rear window.  Even if I can get the doors re-keyed to match the ignition, I will still have two keys (different key shapes).  I can’t remember if my ‘66 Scout even had a working key for the doors.  Of course that was back when you didn’t have to lock your doors every time you got out of the vehicle.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

1179718459_Screenshot2022-02-26081414.jpg.829e5120534c5d8f260718333f02f913.jpg

Golly...
I still have this, complete with an Akai 960D cassette deck, Yamaha electronics and a Technics direct drive turntable with a V15-III cartridge.
It all still works.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1646664474155.thumb.jpg.4ec3dd052ac469aa1bb8f6f889bcc7e7.jpg

i cant recall when i only got one with the car , the last three for sure going back to my 97jeep grand cherokee maybe ? i know my 87 jimmy had two , think  i still had two for my 93 olds 

2 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1646921135380.thumb.jpg.556e64e1e236cb84dd26b81b880e611c.jpg

Held up pretty well - '64 when I first had a car at college, 2 cheeseburgers, fries and a shake under a buck!  At that price a frequent indulgence.  Gas was around 20 odd cents a gallon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

I still have this from the mid '70's and it still works.....my grandchildren can't believe the 'eerie' green numbers :) 

20220227_075929_resized.thumb.jpg.7eb131b0b99404b8b3aa663430b8a1d4.jpg

Back a very long time ago, when I was in EMT training, the hospital had only just gotten digital thermometers.
An 8 year old came into ER, I was tasked with getting his vitals; he was as impatient and fidgety as kids always are, so when I inserted the plastic sheathed probe under his tongue, I turned the thermometer around and had him hold it, so he could see the display.

He was delighted -- a high, child's voice smiling from one end of the hall to the other --

"Wow! Pac-Man!"

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Days of my youth - one establishment had it filled with beer, you were honor bound after the quarter, to put the rest of the going price in the cup!  

Yup. Friend of mine lived in Florida part time and said when he visited the Bahamas places had those coke coolers filled with beer but every other slot was an empty bottle. That was to make up the price difference. He was in hog heaven since he was able to buy beer while well underage. 

Seamus

On 2/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Rip Snorter said:

My brother and I got bicycles one year for Christmas. Sears Screamer 1 bikes.

I remember being outside and riding up and down the lane to the house on Christmas day. No snow, just a bit wet and gloomy.

Both Bicycles are currently hung in the rafter of my Dad's Garage. They are 90% + complete as we rode 100's of miles on them.

Screamer 1.JPG

On 2/27/2022 at 9:34 PM, DeaconKC said:

How to replace a car dimmer switch - Quora

I chuckled at my self not long ago for turning on the headlights and feeling the floor with my foot for a dimmer switch.  I've even driven cars with a starter switch on the floor. 

Just traided for a 2022 Ford Edge.  Lots of electric gadgets we'll never use. Gear shift is a knob on the center console. P R N D are the only selections.  No key. Just a button fob. 

Archived