SASS Wire Forum

Remember when....

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

1628410466_Screenshot2022-02-10171203.jpg.6ad0b50d7dcd69d572cf2869fd17f37e.jpg

I was in grade 8 when I got my first wristwatch, I thought I was the cock of the walk.

I was in Jr.High when I got my first wrist watch for Christmas.    I broke it shortly thereafter in gym class while playing basketball.

Kinda broke my heart also.   I really liked that watch.   I think it was a Bulova. (sp).  

..........Widder

I was third grade, maybe. It was a Timex. Broke the spring by winding it to much/often/hard. I wasn't really worried though. Timexes are guaranteed forever.

Then I read the guarantee. They would fix it, no charge, if I mailed it back to them, and included $10 for postage and handling for them to mail it back to me.

Damn watch didn't cost $10 new.

I was in second grade when I got a Mickey Mouse watch! I still have it without the band (don't ask) I was so happy with that watch I was the pride of the neighborhood!:D

I don’t recall, but I think it was around Sixth grade I received a Texas Instrument digital watch for Christmas from my brother for Christmas. I wore it until it wore out. Since then, I’ve developed a love for watches, and have a number of them. I’ll try to post a picture of some when I get home.

I still have a Westclox pocket watch I bought at J. C. Penny when I was in 7th grade (1955) for a dollar and a dime plus a penny sales tax.  It has a stem wind, Roman numerals in a fancy face, and a second hand in a window at the bottom.  It's genuine "gold colored" and has a steam locomotive engraved on the back.  It hasn't worked in years but it got me started on my pocket watch collection of sixty one watches over the years. 

I'm down to thirteen now and two no longer work but have sentimental value.  The local clock expert guy can't get parts for the 1924 Waltham in a hunter's case.  It's real 12 K gold, mostly worn away, and he won't even try on my first watch.  He says "there's a good reason they were called dollar watches" and it would cost me as  much thirty or forty  dollars to find the parts and get it running and he couldn't guarantee it would work over a day or two.  Says he isn't in the business of robbing his customers.

43 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

He says "there's a good reason they were called dollar watches" and it would cost me as  much thirty or forty  dollars to find the parts and get it running

Back in the '80s there was this group of novels called "adult westerns". Cowboy stories, but they had sex in them. Pretty graphic. Longarm, The Gunsmith, Sixgun Samurai - like that.

In one book, Longarm (Deputy US Marshal Custis Long) was in San Francisco and got pushed off the pier into the bay. When he got out of the water he went back to his hotel and took a nice hot bath, and he washed his guns and his watch in the bath to get rid of the salt water. The next day he goes to the watchmaker to get his watch cleaned. Watchmaker tells him it will be $5. He complains, saying that the watch only cost a dollar to begin with. The watchmaker tells him that he understands that, but it is just as complex and time consuming to take apart and clean as a $20 watch is, and it will cost $5. :D

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I was in Jr.High when I got my first wrist watch for Christmas.    I broke it shortly thereafter in gym class while playing basketball.

Kinda broke my heart also.   I really liked that watch.   I think it was a Bulova. (sp).  

..........Widder

Should've been a Timex. 

Good thing you weren't a Ray Stevens fan.

Has a lovely song called SALUTE TO A WRIST WATCH.

He's messing around with a married woman, and her husband takes offense, and during the discussion his Timex gets stomped on. So he kills the husband. "But he couldn't take a lickin', and now he's stopped tickin', and now I am headed for the electric chair."

At the end of the song he explains how that cowboy's wife was going to get a lawyer and get him off and they were going to ride off into the sunset together. "Not only that, but she bought me a brand new watch. A Bulova. I told her to stick it in her ear."

Probably would not been a good thing to tell your mama to stick it in her ear when she gave you that Bulova wrist watch. :)

16 hours ago, Primus Palus said:

Kids will never know what these are anymore...

Screenshot_20220226-135208_Chrome.jpg

Those are IRL save icons right?

Oh and you died of dysentery 

I remember when I was at the Military Police Academy years ago, they were showing us some Montreal police videos of Mafia car bombings.  As the camera was slowly scanning over the wreckage, part of the victim's arm was laying there with his watch still attached.  As the camera was scanning over what was left of the guy's arm, you could see that the watch was still running by the second hand still moving.  Someone in the room made the comment, "Must be a Timex." 

I used to love those 4 color pens. Every time I got one it seemed to only last about a month before it ran out of ink. Then it was a hassle to find refills on my little town.  

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Did you guys have these in America? My mates and I (hey we weren't perfect back then) used to pop the caps of the bottles and use a straw......thankfully we never got caught.

Coca-Cola-Slider.jpg.50638596264d397f130ba2b28d8d6a28.jpg

dd3126b51b2047d9cd50fb368a1a6eb5.jpg.b05fe63d98916965cc7e225a4042e8e6.jpg

Oh yeah, we had those! There was a Pepsi one at Willie's Wienie Wagon near our house as a kid. On Saturdays we would go there for hotdogs and a Pepsi with the paper straws.

i dont recall what age but i recall the big 'achievement' of that era was getting one of those cartridge fountain pens - prior to that we were filling from an ink well , the nifty part inmy world was i had two - one for blue and one had red , i think it was fourth grade because the nuns made us switch to ink about then - i recall being irritated i could no longer erase and correct errors 

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

i dont recall what age but i recall the big 'achievement' of that era was getting one of those cartridge fountain pens - prior to that we were filling from an ink well , the nifty part inmy world was i had two - one for blue and one had red , 

I still love using fountain pens.

14 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Oh yeah, we had those! There was a Pepsi one at Willie's Wienie Wagon near our house as a kid. On Saturdays we would go there for hotdogs and a Pepsi with the paper straws.

I remember when they had a compartment for a block of ice.  No electric refrigeration until about 1952.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I still have a Westclox pocket watch I bought at J. C. Penny when I was in 7th grade (1955) for a dollar and a dime plus a penny sales tax.  It has a stem wind, Roman numerals in a fancy face, and a second hand in a window at the bottom.  It's genuine "gold colored" and has a steam locomotive engraved on the back.  It hasn't worked in years but it got me started on my pocket watch collection of sixty one watches over the years. 

I'm down to thirteen now and two no longer work but have sentimental value.  The local clock expert guy can't get parts for the 1924 Waltham in a hunter's case.  It's real 12 K gold, mostly worn away, and he won't even try on my first watch.  He says "there's a good reason they were called dollar watches" and it would cost me as  much thirty or forty  dollars to find the parts and get it running and he couldn't guarantee it would work over a day or two.  Says he isn't in the business of robbing his customers.

Hey, I got that old dollar watch down to dust it and noticed the second hand was moving.

I wound it carefully and so far it has kept perfect time for two days.  Think I'll carry it for awhile and she how long she lasts.

Did anyone have a Fort Apache set? How about a Davy Crockett coon skin cap and powder horn and single shot pistol?B)

On 2/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

1179718459_Screenshot2022-02-26081414.jpg.829e5120534c5d8f260718333f02f913.jpg

We had one just like that with a pair of 3’ high by 1-1/2’ wide speaker towers!  The best money could buy at that time!

Archived