SASS Wire Forum

Anyone slimed their tires?

DeaconKC

Okay, been having an annoyance with my guncart. It is a converted jogging stroller and I put new inner tubes in the tires last year. However, I am getting leakage in them regularly. I have had them checked by a tire shop and no leaks. So I picked up some tire "slime" and will put it in the tires to hopefully that will stop the problem. Anybody got any idea how much to put in these small tires?

Some.  I know that's not much help, It shouldn't take a whole lot. Maybe a couple of ounces. 

Did it on an ATV, it was great.  Found out the hard way that it cannot be used on vehicles that have a tire pressure readout, but that is another story,  A simpler solution is to see if tubes are available, got a tube for a wheelbarrow that was driving me crazy. Worked.

I put new tubes on it last year so hopefully this will work.

21 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i did it on my wheel barrow , i was surprised how much weight it added , i dont think you would be disappointed but be aware there will be added weight , 

Yeah but 3-4 oz per wheel won't be too bad if it will keep me from flats at matches. Let's face it, a bottle of Gatorade weighs more than that.

Depending on the size you may be able to find the never flat foam replacement tubes, a better alternative. Guess they’re call Stop A Flat tubes.

I put slime in my cart tires for several years and it worked well even with very little in there, but could not keep up with the damn goat heads (knapweed?). If you haven’t had to deal with them that’s a good thing.  I ended up going to Schwab and buying solid rubber tires, around $20 apiece.  

29 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Yeah but 3-4 oz per wheel won't be too bad if it will keep me from flats at matches. Let's face it, a bottle of Gatorade weighs more than that.

i dont disagree , the flats are a real PITA , my sporting clays stroller does that once in a =while - always at an inopportune time , you asked about doing it and i thought you might like to know , i may have had a different product in mine , 

Lowes has a better product. Forgot the name.  $300 for a gallon jug.  Won’t rust rims.  Use it in any off road tire.  Worked great in my fourtrax tires. Wheelbarrow. Guncart.  Bikes.  

Solid tires.   No need for chems.

NM/AZ goatheads blow right though most slimes.

good luck, GJ

43 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Solid tires.   No need for chems.

NM/AZ goatheads blow right though most slimes.

good luck, GJ

True GJ but the solid tires rot after about 3-4 years out here. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Depending on the size you may be able to find the never flat foam replacement tubes, a better alternative. Guess they’re call Stop A Flat tubes.

THIS^^^^

On such small low speed tires fill at least half full of slime. Know that when you do the ONLY thing you can do is put air in them. Eventually they will either no longer hold air or the valve stems will seal shut and you'll no longer be able to add air. At that point the complete tire/wheel assembly will have to be replaced

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

A buddy used the expandable foam in his.

Just started spinning the tires as he put in the foam.

Yes, your tires will be hard as a rock when done..just like the old gun cart tires.

Never had a flat in those.

10 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

the solid tires rot after about 3-4 years out here. 

Not mine.  I've had tires from Rugged Gear that are 5 years old and show no signs of rot or even wear!

Yusta be - that when I ran the crappy tires from Northern Tool and others  - solid tires on steel spoke wheels - those WOULD split off the whole tread surface after a couple years.   THOSE I knew would self-destruct, so I'd buy 4 at a time.     But very pleased with the current generation of tires from R.G.

good luck, GJ

I used it in my gun cart tires. Sorta worked, but clogged the valve inserts. Finally went as Yul stated above with the foam Stop a flat inserts from Amazon and no issues in 8 years.

I put slime in bicycle tires. It rusted the rims and did no good 

I prefer solid tires for my guncart 

Before putting slime in the tires, I would pick up a cheap valve stem tool, and replace, or at least tighten the valve stems.

22 hours ago, Fretless said:

Before putting slime in the tires, I would pick up a cheap valve stem tool, and replace, or at least tighten the valve stems.

Already did that, but thanks for reminding me. It's the simple things that will usually get you, ain't it?

Well did the slime treatment today on all three tires. Will know on the 12th whether it seems to work.

Archived